Beginners and Beyond

I need a HM training plan. (Read 276 times)

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

Hello fellow runners! I am running a HM on April 28th. I need a training plan to follow. I am up to a 10 mile LR after a 1 month layoff due to a health issue. I had run 13 miles prior to the layoff. I need an advanced plan if possible. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
    Runshortii

I personally like the Ryan Hall HM plan. It's a 10 week plan..I used it loosely for my last HM (9 minute PR) and plan on using it to the T for my next HM in May. It's a tough plan... There's a speed session, tempo session and LR each week but I think the workouts definitely helped me. It's flexible too and ranges from 32-46 miles at its peak depending on how many days a week you run and whether you do the short or long program ( short program LR tops out at 14 miles...long program at 16. Both start with 8 miles for the LR ) You used to be able to find it on RW but after they redid everything the link was broken... I'm on my phone right now but I can send you a link to the plan (I found it somewhere else and saved it) when I get home if you want. I've heard good things about Hudson's HM plans as well (in his book Run Faster )
      SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

I personally like the Ryan Hall HM plan. It's a 10 week plan..I used it loosely for my last HM (9 minute PR) and plan on using it to the T for my next HM in May. It's a tough plan... There's a speed session, tempo session and LR each week but I think the workouts definitely helped me. It's flexible too and ranges from 32-46 miles at its peak depending on how many days a week you run and whether you do the short or long program ( short program LR tops out at 14 miles...long program at 16. Both start with 8 miles for the LR ) You used to be able to find it on RW but after they redid everything the link was broken... I'm on my phone right now but I can send you a link to the plan (I found it somewhere else and saved it) when I get home if you want. I've heard good things about Hudson's HM plans as well (in his book Run Faster )

If you can find the link to that plan I would love to see it. Thanks for your help.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I looked for it and couldn't find it on the RW site even using thier search function. I did find a pdf version here. You have to scroll down a couple pages to get to the plan itself.

Here's another version I found.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

hog4life

SUS, I too am a fan of the Ryan Hall plan. I'm starting it tomorrow and hope to substitute one of the speed work days for a MLR in hopes that it will make the LR a bit easier.

rainmakerrc

OP, see post#4 in this thread if you want the plan originally posted on RWOL.

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

Thank you everyone. I will have to look the plans over. I have never followed one, but do want to give it a try. Keep them coming!

Runshortii

Thanks rainmaker! That is the plan I followed, but it looks like George pulled up some good variations too!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Which HM are you doing?

meaghansketch

Are you only interested in plans that are free online?  I've had luck with Hudson (Run Faster), who has 3 levels of HM plan in his book.  

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

Which HM are you doing?

The Flower City Half Marathon.

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

Are you only interested in plans that are free online?  I've had luck with Hudson (Run Faster), who has 3 levels of HM plan in his book.  

I would be willing to pay for one. I have heard the Hudson plan is good. Is the book titled "Run Faster From The 5K To The Marathon"? That is what I find on Amazon.

muppy

I'll recommend the Ryan Hall plan also, set a 5 minute PR today (on a hilly course) with it from a "flat and fast"half I did in beginning of September. It's a good idea to have a strong base before starting it,( i had a few months of 20-25 miles per week and wish i had more) as mentioned, it has 2 speed workouts each week and can get tough!
                            meaghansketch

I would be willing to pay for one. I have heard the Hudson plan is good. Is the book titled "Run Faster From The 5K To The Marathon"? That is what I find on Amazon.

That's the one.  Worth the money IMO.  3 levels of plans for 5K, 10K, HM, and marathon.  Good advice on how to tailor the plans to fit your strengths/weaknesses.  I don't necessarily take everything from the book as-is (he is really, really big on hill sprints; I don't love them and don't find a need to do them year-round though I like them in small doses) but it is a good resource in general and very adaptable to wherever you are in terms of running fitness.