Beginners and Beyond

Not Racing at Moment but Reflecting (Read 83 times)

Sometimes we lose sight of progress. I know that it happens to me when I became injured for the first time in August and had to change my racing plans for the Fall,  The injury may have been a blessing in disguise as I'm really incorporating knee exercises and squats in my health regimen and I'm running pain-free lately.

This week while searching for something in my work desk, I came across my"motivation" photo from Christmas season in 2010.  I cropped out some work associates to show how I was physically then.

Here is a photo taken this morning at work when I " borrowed" an office instead of my messy cube for the photo op.

So I keep running even though my speed may reflect a marginal or no improvement.  Much happier with my health at soon to be 55 as opposed to 52 when the photo was snapped.

* less hair, but less weight too!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

happylily

This made me very happy. Thank you for sharing! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for sharing!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Forgot to mention: you really do look much healthier and it shows that it makes you happy. :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Pinktastic

Great work!   Thanks for sharing!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Antipodean

Excellent progress. A change for the better! Keep up the effort.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

This made me very happy. Thank you for sharing! Smile

Me too.

SheCan

Oh thank you for sharing!  How wonderful you look, and I'm you feel so much better.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

kettledrum

That is awesome and very motivational to see!

LRB

Your times will drop with continued weight loss.  Right now though you are running healthy, which is as important if not more so.

Good stuff!

tracilynn

Nice! Way to go

~~~~~~~

Traci

Love the Half

Good stuff.  Weight loss was why I started running as well.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

You look healthier in the new photo.  Nice.

B-Plus

Congrats boze. You should be very proud.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I'm so happy you were able to deal proactively with an injury!  They can often force you to become more creative (says a person who just learned to swim due to PF and a stress fracture) and actually improve your fitness... and your patience.  And controlling your weight during a time of injury deserves even more kudos.  You have the right perspective and congratulations on your pain-free running.  Easier to appreciate after it gets taken away for sure!

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb