Beginners and Beyond

5k Race Report: The Longest Mile (Read 115 times)

Trail Monster

Nice work! I know exactly what you mean about the distance messing with you. Trail and ultra running does it to me all the time. You'll handle it better the next time it occurs!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LRB

I won my age group at a race and received a certificate for Hansons, so I trotted right in and picked up their marathon book. It is certainly more miles than I have ever done before, but I'm trying to trust that this "cumulative fatigue" is a good thing.

Everyone I know who has tried it has nothing but good things to say about it.  Trust is a good word, as that is a must for any training program.  Good luck!

GK, I have been dealing with an achilles for a year now.  It has its days but for the most part I manage it, you seem to be too.  Your comments on the 8 mile race were enlightening, thanks.  That is an odd distance to race.

Ban, it must have seemed as if you ran 1000 miles last weekend then lol!  Thanks!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

... It is certainly more miles than I have ever done before, but I'm trying to trust that this "cumulative fatigue" is a good thing.

It is and it isn't. The trick is controlling the amount and being sure it doesn't get excessive. Too much is what leads to overtraining. Also remember it's not just the miles but the also the intensity that adds to the fatigue.

LRB - sorry for the thread highjack.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Trail Monster

Ban, it must have seemed as if you ran 1000 miles last weekend then lol!  Thanks!

No kidding! At one point, going from 50.4 to 55.5, I saw a guy going the other way. I had been slogging through mud for hours and assumed if I was seeing a regular hiker I must be close to the end. I made the mistake of asking how far I was from the store and he told me 2.5 miles. I still can't believe 2.6 miles felt like at least 5 at that point although I'm sure it took just as long, if not longer.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LRB

It is and it isn't. The trick is controlling the amount and being sure it doesn't get excessive. Too much is what leads to overtraining. Also remember it's not just the miles but the also the intensity that adds to the fatigue.

Not at all, love to talk training no matter where it is....except when in the stall.  It is probably the only time during the day that my big fat mouth is not running!  ; )

LRB

No kidding! At one point, going from 50.4 to 55.5, I saw a guy going the other way. I had been slogging through mud for hours and assumed if I was seeing a regular hiker I must be close to the end. I made the mistake of asking how far I was from the store and he told me 2.5 miles. I still can't believe 2.6 miles felt like at least 5 at that point although I'm sure it took just as long, if not longer.

I can imagine.  I don't know how you did not go completely delirious!  Endurance events are not only physical, but mental as well!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Congrats on the pretty award!  You and pacing definitely seem at odds at the moment, but I sense that it will all click for you very shortly.  You need to get all those people cheering for you to move to the finish so you don't push too hard too soon.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

From the Internet.

Nice job and I love your ability to really analyze your race!

I agree on both counts Smile Thanks for sharing!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, 19 minutes in a 5K, I can't imagine doing that myself!  Well, I can...and then I start seeing ambulances...Joking

Congrats on your race!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt