Beginners and Beyond

WetnesDAILY for Penguins (Read 28 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Drowning in Chicago.  Took the day off...great timing.  RD #3, so hopefully we can get a walk in between storms.

Ran to and from gym 3.5 miles total. At the gym got on the spin bike a rode 13 miles in 30 min. Then a few weights.

I need a nap and I should be headed to work not reading online Smile

Make today great.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Penguins sleeping in today?  I was going to start the thread also, but Jerry beat me to it.

No wetness in San Antonio, as dray around here as a steer skull in the desert.  High temps all week in the high 90s with the heat index into the 100s and the dewpoints well into the 70s.  Fun.  Probably will be morning running for me from now on through the end of summer.  Still taking a couple rest days for now, though, after my bout in the ER on Monday.  Feeling much better, probably will try a short run tomorrow morning.  Tonite after work I am a volunteer for the packet pickup for a local 4th of July race.

Stay safe, Jerry, hope you don't get flooding like we did back in April.

Tomas, why are you going to work?  Isn't school out for the summer?  What, Vice Principals don't get the summer off too? Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

5.27 this morning in 93% humidity.  The wife, and I each had run ins with dogs.  She got bit.  Luckily it didn't break the skin.  Starting to get pissed off.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Penguins sleeping in today?  I was going to start the thread also, but Jerry beat me to it.

No wetness in San Antonio, as dray around here as a steer skull in the desert.  High temps all week in the high 90s with the heat index into the 100s and the dewpoints well into the 70s.  Fun.  Probably will be morning running for me from now on through the end of summer.  Still taking a couple rest days for now, though, after my bout in the ER on Monday.  Feeling much better, probably will try a short run tomorrow morning.  Tonite after work I am a volunteer for the packet pickup for a local 4th of July race.

Stay safe, Jerry, hope you don't get flooding like we did back in April.

Tomas, why are you going to work?  Isn't school out for the summer?  What, Vice Principals don't get the summer off too? Wink

I get off from 7/2-7/9. Whoopie.

I signe up for 3 months off in the summer Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Asthma is bad this week so hubby run or SRD.  If I get my allergy shot, then no weights.  If I do not, weights will be done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Heavy rain today but didn't seem to put down the air index. Temp dip a bit though. Fires still going on at Indonesia.

5M as the air index is worst than yday. Hope it remains or go lower tmr.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry about the asthma D.

What is with the dogs awood??!!

3 mile "easy fartlek" with 15 minute slow jog warm up and 10 minute slow jog cool down for a little less than 5 miles total. I am settling into my Running-Wizard plan, and while it is challenging and a lot of miles, I like the variety of types of runs, distances, and paces it has me doing.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

People think they don't need a leash, or they have those damn flexi-leashes.  They take their poorly trained dog out in the morning to avoid human interaction, and it freaks when it sees a runner, and they act like its youe fault.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Sorry to hear that abt P3. luckily I still dun need to exp that.

People think they don't need a leash, or they have those damn flexi-leashes.  They take their poorly trained dog out in the morning to avoid human interaction, and it freaks when it sees a runner, and they act like its youe fault.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

hope they are at least using poop bags.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Today is my last day of work this week, as I leave for Music Camp tomorrow!  It'll be all kinds of fun, though probably also exhausting.  Quartet practice tonight ... my life is all about barbershop, isn't it?  

Jerryb -- stay dry!!

T-rod -- sounds like a good morning workout!  

scotty -- glad you're feeling better, enjoy the packet pickup!!  Isn't that an early pickup for a 4th of July race?

awood -- Even if it didn't break the skin, I'd be furious!!  Can you sucker-punch the owners?

Docket -- hope things clear up for you!

Bin -- Too bad the rain didn't help!

kristin -- glad you're enjoying the Wizard plan!!  Does it come with a wand?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Jerry  good luck gettting a dry walk in today!

t-rod-- good workout.  Now go to work!

Scotty--  glad you're taking a few extra days.  Thank goodness you didn't have a midweek race, because we know you wouldn't ever take a race day off.

Awood-- ugh @ Pew getting bit!    Dogs are just more aggressive with runners.  I'm glad though it didn't break the skin, but that's still scary.

Damaris --- ahhh, i'm sorry your asthma is acting up.  Can you tell if your bad days are tied to weather conditions there?   Hope you get your shot soon and get some relief.

Bin-- man, those fires have been burning for a long time.    I just can't even imagine how much destruction they're causing.  Sorry it's causing so much pollution in your city.

kristin-- glad you're having fun with your new running plan.  I looked into your RR yesterday (looked at pictures!)  Just looking at them, you could tell how much you love your Dad and how proud you are both of each other.  Its just wonderful how you've inspired him.

Hopesmom--- ohhhh, have a great time at music camp!  There's totally nothing wrong about your life being all about the barbershop.  So many people probably wish they were in your shoes.  I think it sounds like a fabulous life myself if only I had your musical talent!

Last night I did the 5k with the Jack Quinn running club and met JJs22.    The run was a lot of fun.  Co Springs is only about 1400 ft higher then south AZ, so I really couldn't tell a difference (Saturday's race will be much higher though, so that's when I'll feel it!) Jack Quinn's Pub was totally adorable, and DH sat there and had some beer while I ran.   JJs22 is a super nice, classy person, probably much like you all, so it was super nice running with him and having a bite to eat afterwards.    So far though 3.1 miles is all I've ran this whole week--- though I guess I've probably walked about 500 miles give or  take a few Joking

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

Look what I just found from last night's run with Jeff:

So who's the ho now, Damaris???  Joking   LOL

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson