Beginners and Beyond

Winter running game - signups (Read 99 times)

If anyone was interested in playing the winter running game, signups are going on now at www.winterrunninggame.com.  There seemed to be quite a lot of interest still over at RWOL to have the game this year, so the old site was rewritten and here we are.

Exact game start date hasn't been set, but I believe it will be very soon.  Winter doesn't seem to be waiting on us. Big grin

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Loved this last year, was wondering why it wasn't happening this year. Wish I could have gotten credit for all my running in "feels like" 9-16 degrees this week lol haven't had a "feels like" run in over 20 degrees in awhile!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Rondog65

Old age is setting in, I don't recall what the winter running game is?

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Old age is setting in, I don't recall what the winter running game is?

A thing that helps us pretend we're excited about running in craptastic winter weather. Smile

(You get points based on time spent running, and they have increasing multipliers as the temp drops, along with bonuses for being in snow, sleet, or rain.)

A thing that helps us pretend we're excited about running in craptastic winter weather. Smile

(You get points based on time spent running, and they have increasing multipliers as the temp drops, along with bonuses for being in snow, sleet, or rain.)

That's pretty much it.  Game scoring begins tomorrow (Monday 12/2), but registration will be open for another week.

The game was a lot of fun last year. I call many a run I actually waited until the snow started to go out. Big grin

SusanRachel

Went to register, but what are the teams?  Are you supposed to pick one or do they get assigned?

Hi SusanRachel... you assign yourself.

Abominable - High mileage and/or very snowy/cold winters

Windchill - Moderate milage and/or moderately snowy/cold winters

Oven - Low mileage and/or fairly mild winters

The teams don't compete against each other.. they are just a way to keep people with the same mileage or type of weather competing against each other.

StepbyStep-SH

Hi SusanRachel... you assign yourself.

Abominable - High mileage and/or very snowy/cold winters

Windchill - Moderate milage and/or moderately snowy/cold winters

Oven - Low mileage and/or fairly mild winters

The teams don't compete against each other.. they are just a way to keep people with the same mileage or type of weather competing against each other.

Think of the teams as divisions - like Division I, Division II, etc. sports.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

obiebyke

There's snow on the ground in Minnesota, which gets me itching for the winter running game. I need some motivation. Post Thanksgiving or what? Big grin

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I meant to post this over here, but it slipped my mind. Signups for 2014-2015 are going on right now.

Game starts Thanksgiving.

www.winterrunninggame.com

Topic here for more details: http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/winter-running-game-2014-2015

From the Internet.

I no longer live 5 minutes from a treadmill, nor do I have $/space in my house to buy my own, so I will have to sign up again this year. Lots of outdoor miles to be logged, I've stocked up on warm tights and I'm ready to go!

RichardR

As was mentioned above:

C0derunner has designed the game's website with 3 divisions, but we call them 'teams'.  I don't really know why they are called "Teams."  Anyway, 3 divisions is nice, because no one the mountains of Virginia has to compete with fudgepineapples, who lives in Alaska and runs to work and back everyday (literally, that is what that poster does.)

To make things more interesting and hopefully encouraging, I am going to run a side game.  I am going to take the results of the first 3 weeks, and make 3 literal teams - Called Yeti, Polar Bear and something else, which I posted on the RW site, but can't remember right now.  These 3 teams will be filled by as even a distribution as I can make from all 3 divisions.

Team scoring will go:  Within each division, the week's champ gets top points (15 if there are 15 runners posting miles), 2nd place is each division gets one point less.... etc all the way to every runner who records points in a given week.

My hope is that, done this way, all of us will have team motivation to get out and RUN.  For example, if I normally place in the middle of the pack in Division Windchill, an extra 30 minutes on a 0 degree day might place me 8th instead of 11th.  That would 3 more points for my team, and that might make us the week's champs.  It's a way to make it so that everyone's running is important to the team scoring.

Thanks,

NWMN41