Beginners and Beyond

ABC Into the Summer Fun Run "5K" RR... I'm somewhat annoyed. (Read 86 times)

Brilliant

Congrats!  I'd be annoyed, too, but you did great anyway.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

As I told you......those were my old stomping grounds......(I remember I saw Star Wars back in '77 in the southwest corner of the Cerritos parking lot way back when 2 theaters was like......A LOT!)  

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that place was all downhill after I left.    Even the RD's can't draw a straight line.

I'll take a look at the calendar & see if I can find us a good one!

Randy

B-Plus

Congrats on the AG award.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Your better at marathons.  Less confusion and the Garmins are more accurate.  Give up running 5k's, too short to have fun.

BTW: Ninja's on the course scare the competition away, that may have helped.

Philliefan33

Good job, Jack!

Love the Half

Yep, it was short.  A 19:59 requires a 6:25 pace.  With the first mile in 6:30 and the second in 6:39, you'd have needed to to run like 6:00 just to break 20:00 in that last mile and you ran 19:03.  My first sub 19:00 was on a short course.  I didn't have a Garmin at the time but my PR was 19:58 and, out of nowhere, only a couple of months after that, I ran 18:58.  I knew damn well that was wrong because all of my training told me I might have a shot at 19:30 but there was nothing that remotely led me to believe sub 19:00 was in the cards.  Then, the folks with Garmins started telling me the course was short.

It is frustrating but you can still analyze how you ran and use that in future races.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

outoftheblue

Congrats on the AG award.  Way to go Ninja!

Life is good.

No more marathons

Yep, it was short.  A 19:59 requires a 6:25 pace.  With the first mile in 6:30 and the second in 6:39, you'd have needed to to run like 6:00 just to break 20:00 in that last mile and you ran 19:03.  My first sub 19:00 was on a short course.  I didn't have a Garmin at the time but my PR was 19:58 and, out of nowhere, only a couple of months after that, I ran 18:58.  I knew damn well that was wrong because all of my training told me I might have a shot at 19:30 but there was nothing that remotely led me to believe sub 19:00 was in the cards.  Then, the folks with Garmins started telling me the course was short.

It is frustrating but you can still analyze how you ran and use that in future races.

Except if the garmin is cutting corners by going thru buildings, then the first mile was 1.05 and the second was 1.05, making those lap times faster than the 6:30 and 6:39.  I'd still check the course using mapmyrun or something similar.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!