Beginners and Beyond

Reindeer Run 5K on Dec 1! Second Race, second PR now with pictures! (Read 193 times)

Woke up on Saturday morning to a layer of freshly fallen snow.  Thankfully it was only a dusting, but it was 27 out when I left for the race.  It was snowing very lightly just enough to notice that it was indeed December 1.  This race was put on by the local running club so many of the racers were seasoned, and it was only my 2nd race.  I lined up almost of the back of the pack, there were only 250 racers.  As soon as the gun went off there was a short but steep hill that seemed to weed out the pack quite quickly.  

Mile one- 10:30 pace.  I started out at a comfortable pace, started slowly passing some people by, but trying to remain slow myself.  The roads were open but the state troopers kept the cars to a minimum around us.  

At the mile one marker we rode past our old apartment complex which was nice.  I don't get over to that side of town often, and there are some horse farms on that road so they were pretty to look at while running.  I decided to pick up my pace at this point because the slope was starting to go downhill. The turn was coming up and I could see the lights from the state troopers lights calling me forward.  

Mile 2- 10:13 pace.  I passed a few more people, at this point my headband antlers were really starting to annoy me.  Note to self, headbands were not a good idea in the wind.  As I approached the mile 2 marker I could see the water station,  I was thirsty at this point so it was a welcome sight.  Unfortunately it was staffed by some little girls who were not paying attention and I actually had to stop to pick up the water.  And by the way, how do you serve warm water during a race when the air temperature is 27?  As I approached the second turn at about 2.5 miles I was still picking up the pace because I knew it was a straight away to the finish.  

Mile 3 9.29 pace.  I really wanted to lengthen my stride and take off, but a mental block was preventing it.  I was worried if I started fast to soon that I wouldnt be able to finish the whole distance.  I hope eventually I will be able to know by feel when I can "take off" and kick it up.  The finish line was the entrance to the community college I graduated from and people were lined up cheering me on to the finish.  I crossed the line with a clock time of 31.03 which is really exciting because the Turkey Trot I ran last week was a 31.23.  

I am proud of myself because I ran this course by myself.  The DH couldn't come to cheer me on, and my father was not able to run this with me either.  I knew I would be able to run a good race, but I am so happy that I could take 20 seconds off my time.  

The official time must have been messed up, it said 31.17, not sure where 14 seconds came from.  But it was the race directors first time and there were a couple of mix ups, apparently most of the people who preregistered for the T shirts didnt get them.  

All in all it was a great day, an accomplishment since it was my fist solo race.  I  cant wait to race again, but I have a lot of training a head of me since I am running the Lake George Half in April.  Since the race is in the Adirondack Mountains I have lots of hill work ahead of me!!

Thanks for reading!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Great job on the PR! Smile

Was the race chip timed? If not, then that's where the extra seconds could have come from.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Congrats on beating your time.  Way to get faster with each mile!!  Next year will be sub-30. 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Great job, and great time for just a second race.  Looking at your splits, it looks like you were picking up speed as you could smell the finish line...lol  Congratulations.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Thanks guys! And no the race was not chipped, just a woman writing the numbers down as we crossed the finish line, I came in about 2 seconds after a woman, according to the race clock, but we are 10 seconds different on the official timing, who knows! All I know is I looked at the clock as I crossed the line and I am saying 31.03

Pinktastic

Congrats, Kristi!   Way to tear it up out there!!    Keep up the great work because I know you'll be even faster in the next one!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Good job on your 2nd 5K.  I'm sure there is some running formula on a forum to account for the wind differential while wearing antlers in a race.  Keep it up!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

SheCan

Great job, Kristi!  Congrats on the PR.  Keep working, and you'll do fabulous at that Half.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Great job with your 2nd race, and new PR.  Thinking of your irritating antlers made me laugh.  Hard to believe that water could be warm when the temps were that cold, but maybe they pre-warmed it so that it wouldn't freeze during the race?  Sorry that nobody was able to make it to the race with you, but the nice thing about posting on here is knowing that all these other runners are with you in spirit, and definitely pulling for you!  Good luck with the half training and the hill work.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Finally figured out how to post some race pictures so here ya go!!

Jess runs for bacon

Wow, a PR, negative splits, AND a floater!! That's what I call a successful race!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Nice antlers Kristi !!!!  And CONGRATS on the PR.  Like you, DW and I are also running our first HM in April.  Looking forward to hearing about your progress for the  big "Debut ".  

Way to go on the PR! Nice antlers.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Woke up on Saturday morning to a layer of freshly fallen snow.

That would've been it for me, I'd have gone right back to bed and hibernated until Spring!  Joking

Congrats on your race, way to go!  Nice photos too, you make a beautiful reindeer!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

I am glad somebody bumped this RR because I missed it.  Congrats on the new PR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page