Beginners and Beyond

Beer Recommendations? (Read 77 times)

Dad on the run.

Ok so I've always had this interest in trying beer from around the world but I never knew where to go to find it. So aside from the typical American beer like Bud, Miller, Coore's etc. I really haven't tried anything else. I want to try a good imported beer. Something from Germany or where ever really. I don't even know if I would like a light beer or a dark beer. Well come to find out 30min from my house is a package/cigar/hookah bar that sells 2000 beers from all around the world. I am thinking about going tonight after work and creating me a six pack to take home. I need advice.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

aplodder

Susan

I'm not a beer connoisseur, but a fellow forumite recommended Leffe Blonde,and I really liked it.

Docket_Rocket

I like the Czech beer called Pilsner Urquell.  Very good.

Right now, I'm drinking a Leffe from Belgium and I have Hoegaarden in the fridge right now, also from Belgium.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And Susan and I have the same taste because we both mentioned the Leffe!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRS

Chasing Muses

Pick up one of everything you can find from DogFish Head. They're American, but most of their beers are incredible examples of that particular style. My favorites are Burton Baton, 90 Minute IPA, and Red & White.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I used to buy beers from around the world, but the level of quality and availability of local microbrews....whoa.  I get some of the best beers locally now.  Stouts, ales, you name it.  Something to consider.  I used to pay $30 for a large bottle of belgian beer brewed by monks or something crazy.  Now, I give a local brewery $10 to fill a 1 gallon growler with whatever he's just finished making.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

You Rang?

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Strict WTF adherent

Pick up one of everything you can find from DogFish Head. They're American, but most of their beers are incredible examples of that particular style. My favorites are Burton Baton, 90 Minute IPA, and Red & White.

Indian Brown Ale. You won't be sorry.

LRS

Chasing Muses

I'll throw in Flying Dog (Raging Bitch is a staple), Widmer Brothers, Lagunitas (especially if you can find Brown Shuggah), and Great Lakes. Hell, when I think about it, Imports suck in comparison.

---All of the above.  That is my personal recommendation.  (And all beers that get listed below by other folks as well)

PS.  You spelled "Coors" wrong... You'd get your ass kicked in the deep south for that mistake.  Approve

---And I also agree with the general consensus that a whole lot of the American brewers are making beer at least as good, and better than overseas beer.  -- Thousands to choose from....  You could try one new beer a day and probably never have to drink the same beer twice in your lifetime.  What a great country.  :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Dad on the run.

Got some leffe blonde and Becks sapphire.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Umm I live in Alabama. Guess I have to kick my own ass.

---All of the above.  That is my personal recommendation.  (And all beers that get listed below by other folks as well)

PS.  You spelled "Coors" wrong... You'd get your ass kicked in the deep south for that mistake.  Approve

---And I also agree with the general consensus that a whole lot of the American brewers are making beer at least as good, and better than overseas beer.  -- Thousands to choose from....  You could try one new beer a day and probably never have to drink the same beer twice in your lifetime.  What a great country.  :-)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

@runjerseygirl

I'm on a Blue Moon kick right now.  Another Belgian white.

Do you even run?

Wandering Wally

Imports are OK, but American micros can be really awesome.  Find a place that allows you to build your own 6 packs and start sampling.  Since you are in Alabama, I'm not sure if my favorite micros would be distributed down there.  I've had some stuff from Highland Brewing Company in Asheville, NC.  Good stuff!  Their Thunderstruck Coffee Porter is wonderful.  I pretty much enjoy an IPA no matter who it comes from.  Some can be pretty hoppy.  Experiment and have fun!

If you want some tasting notes before you try something or to compare your own experience, read through some of the reviews at Beer Advocate.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Leffe is an ok beer. Other good beers from Belgium are Westmalle and Rochefort. I'm a big fan of German wheat beers, but don't know brands.

That being said, going outside of America isn't necessary to find great beer. Enjoy testing them!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them