Beginners and Beyond

HMer's Who Train with Handheld Water - a Question (Read 94 times)

Thanks for everyone's replies.  I appreciate everyone's input.  Puts my mind at ease regarding planning for this HM.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

MothAudio

You mean in the actual race? I've never carried water in competition. For the Columbus half they have a water stop at [almost] each mile. I think I skipped all of them till mile 6 and then maybe drank 20 oz. the entire race. Conditions were cool [40-50] and overcast so I was drinking more to get refreshed than re-hydrate. How hot is it where you live? I try to run in the early dawn or late dusk. I can go 15 miles / 2 hours before I start to consider re-hydrating on the run. The key is to stay hydrated between runs.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

My last 2 HM's I didn't drink anything at all. Everyone's different, but as long as it's not too warm I haven't really felt I needed anything. If you do, the water stops at the race should be plenty.

Dave

B-Plus

I hate carrying anything in my hand too.  That said, I use a handheld quite often during the summer bascially whenever I feel I might want it.  I use one these 12oz Amphipod deals.  What I like about this is it doesn't feel like I am carrying anything.  It's basically strapped to my hand and I don't have to apply any grip to hold it.  I do not carry water in a HM and only take water once or twice at a station.

Thanks! I just ordered the thermal version in pink! I usually use the water fountains in the park but it will be nice to be able to take some fluid on hot tempo or MP days (rather not stop during these).

Also, I think it really depends on where you run for the feasibility of planting bottles. I'm pretty sure mine would be gone if I tried, but if they were still there I'd be worried that they were tampered with in some way.

B-Plus

Anybody try this?

http://www.simplehydration.com

just rely on the water stations throughout the course

Docket_Rocket

The amphipod bottles are the ones I use.  I have carried that fucker even through and 8 hour race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Anybody try this?

http://www.simplehydration.com

Did my first run with this bottle tonight. While I won't give it an over the top rave review, I don't think I'll be going back to a handheld any time soon.