Beginners and Beyond

And you were proud of YOUR monthly PR! (Read 200 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm hoping for 35 miles this month. Just gotta times it by 10 and I'm there. Easy, peasy.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Chairman

Yeah, that's my excuse. My diminishing point is when I get tired. Smile

I am guessing most of the people who do it (and they will have to speak for themselves) are not doing it to sex up their training logs, but because they love doing it (and they can).

They love it. They can. They are obsessed and in denial. Whatever the reason it has nothing to do with what I said. All I really said was that a lot of top notch runners don't measure their training load using mileage, and don't run a crazy number of miles. Because running a crazy number of miles isn't always the best approach to run fast.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

happylily

I also used to think that there is a point of diminishing returns. And actually, I still do, but with a difference. I think that point is much higher than we believe, for each one of us. It's just a matter of adaptation. When I was running 60 mpw, I thought that the quality of my speedwork would be affected if I ran more. Now, I run an average of 80 mpw and my speedwork is of the same quality and frequency, but faster pace. If I ran 100 mpw in the next few weeks, I'd be exhausted and my pace would surely suffer. But if I were to build up to that 100 mpw, I bet my pace would improve even more eventually. Or... maybe I would meet my point of diminishing returns. But at least, now I know that that point is not 60 mpw... Also, there is nothing sexy about higher mileage, believe me. Just one look at me after my Sunday's LR and you'll understand why. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Chairman

I also used to think that there is a point of diminishing returns. And actually, I still do, but with a difference. I think that point is much higher than we believe, for each one of us. It's just a matter of adaptation. When I was running 60 mpw, I thought that the quality of my speedwork would be affected if I ran more. Now, I run an average of 80 mpw and my speedwork is of the same quality and frequency, but faster pace. If I ran 100 mpw in the next few weeks, I'd be exhausted and my pace would surely suffer. But if I were to build up to that 100 mpw, I bet my pace would improve even more eventually. Or... maybe I would meet my point of diminishing returns. But at least, now I know that that point is not 60 mpw... Also, there is nothing sexy about higher mileage, believe me. Just one look at me after my Sunday's LR and you'll understand why. Big grin

Listen to your coach.

happylily

Listen to your coach.

Big grin Which one? You all sound like coaches here. Big grin

Chairman

Big grin Which one? You all sound like coaches here. Big grin

The one you pay to not pick up when he calls!

happylily

The one you pay to not pick up when he calls!

LOL... You remember that? Bravo! Big grin

Chairman

LOL... You remember that? Bravo! Big grin

It's in your file.

happylily

It's in your file.

Scary...

Goorun

They love it. They can. They are obsessed and in denial. Whatever the reason it has nothing to do with what I said. All I really said was that a lot of top notch runners don't measure their training load using mileage, and don't run a crazy number of miles. Because running a crazy number of miles isn't always the best approach to run fast.

Agree, if you mean running a crazy number of miles slow.

To be a top notch marathon runner you still need to run a lot. Elite guys just run high percentage of their miles at paces equal to their 5k to marathon race paces. I ran with 2:16 guy who never ran more than 300 miles per month, but he was an exception. Around 500 mpm was about the norm and some guys ran even more.  I ran around 600 mpm because with my slow 5000 meters PR 14:16 I was competing against marathon runners with 13:45 and even better PRs.   There was for sure diminishing return over 500 mpm and it was a lot of extra running for 1 - 2 minutes off my marathon time, but that is the only way for slow guys like myself.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Little Blue

I'm hoping for 35 miles this month. Just gotta times it by 10 and I'm there. Easy, peasy.

You know what they say, the hardest part is just getting out there. Once you're out the door, you'll be fine! (You're just not allowed back in!)Big grin

Humph.  Even his little running guy on his garmin looks faster than mine.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

DoppleBock represented the USA in a 24 hour race a few years ago and ran 154 miles and his last 5K, after 24 hours,  was his fastest....he's on a "break" from running right now, so only has 550 miles ytd -- 347 in January.

(Amazingly, all the samples I listed are from frozen tundra states....they're not doing this in sunshine)

Dopplebocks mileage is indeed impressive.  When coworkers tell me I am nuts for pushing towards 200 miles a month, I just go "pffffft, that's nothing" and show them Dopple and a few other folks' running charts.    --I've got Dopple + others in front of me, and the pace Bunny behind me, and both of those things help motivate me + attribute to me being able to do more miles than I ever thought possible.

And as to "running in the tundra states, not doing that in sunshime", Rocky IV comes to mind, with Rocky running in Russia, up the side of a Mountain, carrying a 500 pound log on his shoulders... Good stuff. :-)  --I only carry a 150 pound log when I run, so I have some work still to do...... Approve

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Agree, if you mean running a crazy number of miles slow.

+1 I forget who said it, but "high mileage doesn't kill speed, ignoring speed kills speed".

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

#artbydmcbride

Listen to your coach.

I read this as 'Listen to your couch"

Runners run