Beginners and Beyond

Ok, my 10K plans up for scrutiny (or ridicule). Semi-Mcmillan + questions.... (Read 118 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ok, 5 miles steady.  44:42 (8:56 pace).  Tried to keep it honest.  Not to fast but not too slow.  I didn't even look til 4.5 miles.  I wouldn't have been surprised to see 8:50 nor 9:15 pace.

I think I'm gonna try uploading my workouts to this site.  You guys seem to like it enough and I've got 4 years worth of workouts on the software on my laptop so we'll see if I like it here any better than Garmin's own.

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

4 miles of fartlek done. (1 mile warmup + alternating tenth mile 7:30/9:30)

it hurt toward the end but not as bad as I thought it would.  I've fooled with fartlek s before but never this structured.  I literally started at mile 2 and didn't stop alternating til the end.

I'll see if I can load a pic of the garmin data here.

Randy

LRB

I literally started at mile 2 and didn't stop alternating til the end.

Run easy your next three runs.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

5 miles on the hamster wheel.  (Mostly easy)

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So 2 out of 3 runs were dedicated easy Wink

Since I know the track is good for me cuz it keeps me honest, I plan to hit it on Saturdays.  Today went like this......(again, slightly modifying Mcmillans plan).......

2 x 400 warmup @ 9:00 pace

1 x 1600 @ 7:45 pace

1 x 2000 @ 7:50 pace

1 x 1600 @ 7:55 pace

1 x 400 cool down @ 8:00 pace

I think this week felt a little bit easier than last week.  It was cooler this Saturday and I'm down a couple pounds.  Who knows but my paces were also a little bit quicker than last week and I did less clock watching this time so I think that's good.  Last night's run was a little disappointing so today was good.

23 miles for the week

Randy

Love the Half

I'm wondering why you are doing 1,600's and 2,000's.  Are you doing them as cruise intervals at lactate threshold pace with short (1-2 minute) recoveries or are you trying to do them as VO2max intervals?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think I'm gonna try uploading my workouts to this site.  You guys seem to like it enough and I've got 4 years worth of workouts on the software on my laptop so we'll see if I like it here any better than Garmin's own.

When you do you might want to make them public. It makes it a lot easier to comment on them than having to ask for details all the time.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Brad - I'm doing them as a follow to McMillan's philosophy which appears to be twofold.  First, longer intervals to truly set the adaptation for pace and second to discipline the system enough to not overshoot the goal.  So in specific answer to your question, it probably accomplishes a bit of both.  Though my lungs would argue more VO2 max more than lactate threshold.

George - I found out that the importer here wants the garmin files in zip form.  I use an ipad 99% of the time anymore so I need to break out the laptop, zip the files, then import them.  (A bit of a pita if I do say so).  So I will eventually get them up but at this point I also just want to get pertinent workouts up.  The last 2 days were pretty uneventful so I don't know that 5 mediocre miles on the tmill and another 4 on the road the day before yesterday mean much more on a graph but I am visual too so I hear ya.

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Tonight was rough.  Halfway thru my first mile, I was thinking of changing it to a tempo run.  I felt good at about 8:15 pace but told myself I should stick to the plan.  I dunno if it was the right decision or not but I stuck w/ fartleks.

Like last week's fartlek session I did 1 mile warmup and 3 miles of fartleks in tenth mile intervals.  The last mile hurt....BAD!  Hot, muggy and.......well, that's suck enough.

Also found out I had a sinus infection tonight!  Party on!

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, what a difference a few days makes.

Saturday's track work went well.  Further took McMillan's improv speedwork to:

1 x 2mi @ 7:48 & 7:37 respectively.

1 x 1mi @ 7:58

1 x 800 @ 4:00

2 x 400 @ 2:00

Sunday ran 3 easy miles on the mill & felt good.  Normally I take Sundays off but I figured it was an easy way to "up" mileage whilst also giving the legs a stretch they might like.  (And I think they did)

Tonight........6.2 in 53:59 and that was pretty well cruising speed.  I pushed the last mile but everything up until that point was a cruise.  It felt so good.  I was a little disappointed to see Mile 6 come in at 8:20 when it felt like 8 flat or less but I can't complain.  I might be wrong, but I think that's the quickest I've ever run a 10K training run, especially not pushing it.

Workouts all uploaded if anybody wants to see.

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Put in 7 tonight.  (That'll be my *long* run for the week as I inch upward)

It's in my log but splits were:

9:21

8:54

8:45

8:45

8:49

8:39

8:13

I was hoping yesterday's recovery run on the mill would carry over to today & mostly, it did.  Yesterday I had that "could run forever" feeling in the legs.  Tonight, I just took it really slow the first mile & tried to make the road feel like a treadmill belt under my feet to duplicate the feeling I felt yesterday.  It worked.  Soon I felt it turning into a progression run without any effort.

A little less than 3 weeks to wrap this thing up.  Happy so far! Smile

Randy

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

If you don't run a sub 50 at your 10K, I'll have a lot of questions.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Thanks A-dub! Cool

Today finishes up 3 days of quality work.  Probably ill advised but Thursday & today were planned & yesterday just happened.

Thursday was fartleks similar to the last 3 weeks. (7:30/9:30 paces in .1 mile intervals for both)

Yesterday was a 5 mile tempo run.  I think my Wednesday weight session (which usually makes my legs wanna go fast the day after) took a 1 day delay cuz yesterday I felt like a rabbit.  I just couldn't *not* run faster yesterday so it turned into a tempo.

Today was lung-burning intervals.  4x100 followed by McMillan's 1 x 2 mile and then tried to do 1 x 1 mile but couldn't muster it so did 2 x 800.  Sun was burning me up when I finished & couldn't wait to get into the shade!!

And, yes, I'm gonna take it easy for the next couple runs.  My ass is dog tired! Joking

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

8 miles done for my last long run before the race.  That puts me at 31 miles for the last 7 days, 119 for the last 30 and looking back on the training log, I think there's a good progression there.  I'll probably finish up strong the rest of the week & then start mellowing out for the week prior to the race.

Legs felt great last night & cruise-control speed was 8:36 pace for 5 miles.  Tonight legs were a little tired so didn't feel as good as last night, but did get in the 8 without whimping out so I count that as a plus.

(gonna sleep like a baby tonight) Wink

Randy

LRB

4x100 followed by McMillan's 1 x 2 mile and then tried to do 1 x 1 mile but couldn't muster it so did 2 x 800.  Sun was burning me up when I finished & couldn't wait to get into the shade!!

At least you are being smart about knowing when to say when.  That is important.