Beginners and Beyond

Felicificative Friday Penguins (Read 28 times)

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Ginny - you're probably right, laying off completely that week would probably do more harm than good. I'll get a few easy miles in. It usually doesn't start hurting til after 4 miles or so, so if I keep the runs under that during race week I should be fine.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the 14 miles, Zelanie, if you are feeling it. If not, hey, it's Friday and the weekend is starting, go home, open a bottle of wine, relax...

Scotty, you always have so much fun during your runs!  I don't know if getting nearly run over by a jet counts as 'fun', lol.  And most of my runs over the year are actually quite 'normal', nothing happens at all.   Good luck with your intervals tonite, Damaris!

My twins have had strep throat.  Dang, Traci, I didn't even know you could get strep in the breasts.   Oh, wait..you mean twin KIDS?  Umm, never mind then...    I dunno if I'd try weights or any type of somewhat strenuous exercise if you're coughing up a lung and have bronchitis, you might just make yourself worse or add something else to the problem.  What if you cough right in the middle of a lift and drop a weight on your foot, etc?  Owwww.....   Hope you and yours feel better soon!

Jack, yay for rain, I know your state needs it as bad as Texas does.  Stupid drought. Good luck with the marathon training when you start it and hope the PF behaves itself!

Congrats on your long run yesteday, SheCan, way to go!  Have a fun recovery run today!

Yay for getting your run in, Jerry, congrats!  Especially in all that snow and wind.  They have a park in Chicago that has deer in it?

Lots of exercise for you, Kristin, sounds like you are feeling better!

Yay for warmer temps for you, Ginny!  So you are running after you donate blood or before?   Wouldn't before make you too tired to go run?  I don't know what the effects are after donating blood, because of my medical history, stuff, etc, I've always been turned down every time to donate blood, I never make it through all the questions before the local blood bank folks tell me "No."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Scotty - run first, donate later.  I'll have earned the cookies and orange juice twice over ;-)

I actually managed 8.5, longest since my return to running.  Not a great run, but pretty consistent in my pace, especially the middle miles.

Jerry - good job getting out in the snow.  Are you near the "emerald necklace" - the big greenspace park outside Chicago?  My SIL's parents lived right next to that, and they had miles they could walk in the woods.

Kristin - your training seems to be going well.  Any issues with the foot?

tracilynn

Good news= Back from the gym. I ran 1/2 mile on the treadmill and then did weights. Felt good.  first run in a week since I've been sick.

Bad news= So my doctor calls a few minutes ago and says I DO have strep throat even though the rapid strep came back negative on MONDAY. FRIGGIN 5 days later they tell me it is strep. They apologize and say they don't know why I wasn't contacted days ago. UGHHHH.

have to start antibiotics as I'm still considered contagious. So ive been spreading my germs because I  didn't know.

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Good news= Back from the gym. I ran 1/2 mile on the treadmill and then did weights. Felt good.  first run in a week since I've been sick.

Bad news= So my doctor calls a few minutes ago and says I DO have strep throat even though the rapid strep came back negative on MONDAY. FRIGGIN 5 days later they tell me it is strep. They apologize and say they don't know why I wasn't contacted days ago. UGHHHH.

have to start antibiotics as I'm still considered contagious. So ive been spreading my germs because I  didn't know.

You poor lady Sad    I feel so bad for you being sick.

Docket_Rocket

Feel better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry - good job getting out in the snow. Are you near the "emerald necklace" - the big greenspace park outside Chicago? My SIL's parents lived right next to that, and they had miles they could walk in the woods.

Ginny, I never heard it called the "Green Necklace", just the Cook County Forest Preserve.  We live a 1/2 mile from the North Branch Trail (paved) which goes from the northwest part of the city to the far north suburbs.  We use it almost every day except in winter.  A little farther west is the Des Plaines River Trail (unpaved) that goes from the far north suburbs to the far south suburbs.  There are even more county forest preserve trails way out by Schaumburg.

Last summer, we did venture out to some of the other trails.  We also frequently run on the Evanston lakefront that is only 5 miles from us.

SheCan

I actually managed 8.5, longest since my return to running.  Not a great run, but pretty consistent in my pace, especially the middle miles.

WTG, Ginny!  And good for you for donating blood!

tracilynn-- oh my!  Maybe your body was fighting it off naturally?  Especially if you were feeling better today.

Ended up getting 3 very gentle recovery miles in.  Now contemplating where to have dinner tonight.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ginny, knock on wood, but foot feels great!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Turns out it's not such a good idea to go for a long run and then go to donate blood.  I tested anemic, though I was fine two months ago when I last donated. I asked if the run could make a difference and was told that yes, it might.  Oh well.  DH still donated, so we got our free pound of Duncan Donuts coffee anyhow and they gave me juice and a cookie for showing up.

Jerry - the green or emerald necklace name comes from about 25 years ago, the last time I was in Chicago.  I guess it didn't catch on.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny, congrats on the 8.5.

Zelanie

Ginny, I tested anemic the last time I tried to donate, too, and it was after a run.  The next time I went to the doctor, I asked her to check my ferritin level, and even though my overall iron was "low normal", my ferritin level was low enough that I've been taking iron since then.

I want to get back to donating, but also want to rebuild my iron stores a bit first.  Female distance runners are at risk for anemia, particularly short vegetarian females like I am.

Got my 14 done, but it was one of those "mental endurance" runs, blah.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Glad you endured the mental endurance, Z.