Beginners and Beyond

The Friday Penguins Did It Again! (Read 32 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Yesterday I ran, biked, myrtled, and cored!  Today I rest - and maybe shop at the LRS after work! Also, on a positive note, I think my cold is almost gone as last night was the first time I got to sing karaoke in over 3 weeks!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, Sing your hear out.. You are also racing this weekend, right?

3M recovery for me after running a few hills yday looking for the elusive trail opening... If I don't sleep in on weekend, I could be setting my longer streak till date.. Smile

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning Gustav!  It sounds like you got a very diverse and thorough workout yesterday.  I had to read the first sentence twice.  Even the IronMan only has 3 activities in it.

Bin - I'm picturing you running around with a treasure map looking for that trail.  Hopefully, it's actually there, and you can find it.

AFM, I had to get up this morning and check yesterday's run again.  I'm really pleased with how it went, and today's a SRD.  Chi-Town is so close now!  I can't wait!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Gustav, nice workouts yday. I need to go shopping at the LRS too.

awood, have you decided on a goal pace?

I hope to run a little this afternoon. Good luck to all those racing this weekend.

Bin Running

Awood, I google more info yday after a failed attempt.. I pretty confident that I will find it this weekend.. haa.. Provided they didn't guard it with dogs..

Can't see your log. are you on taper now? It is so close that you can smell it... Smile

What is your goal? Just collected my race kit for my 31 Mar HM today. Can hardly wait..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch / Bin - The race is next Sunday.  So, my mileage will start to drop from this point forward.  Based on my 5K last month, and my training McMillan and Jack Daniels are both saying I should be just under 1:55.  That being said, my weight has dropped consistently since then and so have my training paces.  I took an 8 mile run at HM pace a while back and it felt pretty darn good.

I'm going to start out with the 1:55 (8:47 mpm) pace group, and see how I feel.  I might pick it up and walk away from them at some point.  I have some things that I'll have to take into consideration on race day.  One weather site is saying that I could be dealing with a very cold rain, and 49 mph wind gusts.  The other site is saying it will be mostly sunny, and upper 30's with 12 mph winds.  I should PR even if it's a typhoon.  The only question is, by how much.

Barring anything really crazy though, I'm thinking I'll end up between 1:50-1:55.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Gustav wow that is wonderful!

Good luck all racing Penguins!!!

I went to yoga last night because I will be at my boyfriend's this weekend and therefore can't get to yoga. About 2/3 of the way through class I felt a pain in my lower leg. Not quite my shin, not quite my calf, right along the side, above my ankle. It still hurts when I walk. I iced it, wore compression sleeves to bed, used a heating pad, and iced it this morning. Still hurts. UGH as if I needed this!!! If I have another injury I swear to God....   I have no idea how I did it either, if I tweaked it during my run yesterday and it took that long to show up, or the brisk mile walk I had to the yoga studio, or in yoga....I don't remember doing anything to it it just started hurting. Arg.

Happy Friday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Kristin, sorry to hear that.. Inside of the leg, above the ankle?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Outside, above the ankle. Hurts while walking when I "push off" on that foot. Grumble grumble. At least today is a rest day.

Kristin, sorry to hear that.. Inside of the leg, above the ankle?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Morning!  Running after work.  Can't wait.  We did get some more snow last night so no outside running yet.  The long term forecast is promising, however.  Probably a couple more weeks and I'll be outside more often.  Have an awesome day!

Kristin - full combat yoga?!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning!  Running after work.  Can't wait.  We did get some more snow last night so no outside running yet.  The long term forecast is promising, however.  Probably a couple more weeks and I'll be outside more often.  Have an awesome day!

Kristin - full combat yoga?!

Ha!! Seriously.... who gets injured in yoga?!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After work yesterday went down to the Riverwalk.  ABUNDANT sunshine and a temp of 78 degrees, yowza!  I had forgotten this week was "Green River' week for St. Patrick's Day,  so the river was a nice green color and there were tons of people in the area where the restaurants, shoppes, and bars are.  So I did a route along the 'quiet' parts of the Riverwalk, finishing just where the crowded part was.   Ended up with 3.7 miles and then did a cool-down walk to Mad Dog's Pub on the Riverwalk..

For luck, patted the ceramic old bull dog at the top of the steps...

Got a beer from one of these lovely wait-staff ladies....

And then sat on the patio on the sunshine enjoying a post-run cold brewski and watching the people and tour barges along the river.  Very pleasant!

Today is a rest day and then I have a 5K on Saturday and another one on Sunday.  Race numbers 17 and 18 for the year!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gustav, sounds like you earned a rest today!  Glad your cold is almost better!  Karaoke?  In my case, it would be Kara-croaky, lol.

Good luck finding the trail opening, Bin.  Maybe you could just get on top of that bridge in that photo you showed...and then jump down to the trail... Wink

Enjoy the rest day, Awood.  Congrats on your running progress!

Hope you can get your miles in, Mitch!  And......WAKE UP!!!   Wink

Kristin, inside of the leg above the ankle or outside of the leg above the ankle?  Here is a stretch my podiatrist gave me:  If on the outside of the leg: stand with both feet "planted" firmly on the floor.  Then tilt your feet 'outwards' so your are standing on the outside edges of your feet.  Hold for 15 - 30 seconds. Lower feet to normal position for a few seconds, then repeat the stretch a few more times.  This usually helps 'release" that tight spot where you are talking about.   If the spot is on the inside of the leg, do the same stretch, except that you turn your feet 'inward", standing on the inside edges of your feet.   Enjoy your weekend with your Main Squeeze...and I'm sure you can probably teach him some yoga positions... Joking

Vance...what is this thing called 'snow' that you speak of?  Wink  Good luck with your run later!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  Got packet pickup tonight, then a very easy 4, then my race is tomorrow!  I'm thinking of trying 8:45 pace and seeing what happens.  Apparently there's a bridge in mile 1 and 10, yikes!  And a smaller one midrace that you also cross twice.  It's supposed to be about 44 and maybe raining at the start.  Hmm, shorts and a medium LS shirt?

Gustav- Great day yesterday!

Bin- Good luck finding the trail opening!

Awood- You are so ready for your half!

Mitch- Hope you get a nice run in later.

Kristin- Sometimes I feel like things sort of feel sore for a few days just because the various parts are adjusting to their new job.  Not as serious as an injury, but they still hurt for a few days.  Since you're going to your boyfriend's house the weekend, maybe take it easy, try not to stress, and that might help you be back as good as new by Monday!

Vance- You gotta get some springtime soon!

Scotty- A whole week of green river?  You guys know how to celebrate!