Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's MunDAILY (Read 31 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'll let you in on a little secret.  Three of my brothers-in-law are Christmas tree farmers.  Yes, they make their living growing and selling real Christmas trees.

The harvest starts in the beginning of November, and is typically done by the first week of December.  Most cut trees have been cut for nearly a month before you bring them home.  Of course, an artificial tree keeps going and going and going...

(Here's another secret.  We have an artificial tree, because real fir trees in the house make my nose itch.  Don't tell my inlaws!)

How do they make their living the rest of the year?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It is hard to think about putting Christmas decorations up when IT'S FUCKING 87F RIGHT NOW.  Sigh.  Always Summer.

+1.

However, I wait and put my stuff up on Jan 2 for about a week...it drives my idiot neighbor next door to me a little crazy.  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

In honor of Awood's birthday I am having a Sierra Nevada Celebration Fresh Hop Ale! If anyone else is doing something they want me to honor just give a me a shout and I will gladly celebrate!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

How do they make their living the rest of the year?

Assuming this is a legitimate question (sometimes its hard to tell with you, ScottyWink). They farm over 2000 acres of trees. The crews work all year planting and shearing, my BIL's are the owners and bosses. Like most crop farmers, money goes out the door all year in the hopes that there is a profit in the harvest.

hog4life

Phillie, stay tuned or check back tomorrow, I've found some data that I mentioned in your RR. I'll post it over there, but first I want to look at the links that LTH posted.

Made it home, wish I could go back to the cabin, it sure was a lot quitter.

Philliefan33

I didn't drown!  If there is a "couch to 800 yd" program for swimming, I could sure use it.   But I'm such a dork...I struggled with the swim goggles the whole time, and when I got home I noticed the protective film over the lenses with "remove before use printed on it.   Doh!

hog4life

I didn't drown!  If there is a "couch to 800 yd" program for swimming, I could sure use it.   But I'm such a dork...I struggled with the swim goggles the whole time, and when I got home I noticed the protective film over the lenses with "remove before use printed on it.   Doh!

LOL!

Docket_Rocket

Haha.  I am the same so I feel for you, Phillie!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

North Coast, Old Rasputin in honor of AWood.  No Three Floyds in the house.

Zelanie

Margo- that reminds me of the first time I tried C25K.  I was using my phone to tell me when to walk and when to run, but my earbuds wouldn't stay in my ear.  Then my shoes kept coming untied.  I think I was in khakis, too, since I didn't have any exercise clothes that fit and I didn't want to spend money on something that I wasn't sure I'd stick with.  I was really, really hoping that nobody was looking out of their windows as I went by!

Bin Running

Cherie, congrats on the PR..

Awood, Happy Birthday..

Watched the crazy tornado on TV last night.. hope all in Chicago, Indiana and the rest are safe.. Normally, I put up the tree(artificial as real ones is too exp and difficult to maintain) after 30 Nov.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Cherie- Congrats on the PR!  I wonder if there is something to running relaxed and not worrying about time that helps us to run faster, since we're not spending all that energy trying to "dig deep" or whatever.