Beginners and Beyond

One Weekend: Two Events (RR) (Read 50 times)

HobbitLegs

elevenses

This weekend I participated in two very different "races." The first was the Chickamauga Battlefield Half Marathon and the second was the Buddy's Race for the Cure. I chose the "walk in the park" option for the Buddy's race, and I'll explain why later.

First, The Chickamauga Battlefield Half:

Short and to the point: 2:04:50 gun time; 2:04:04 chip time. 29 minute PR.

The more detailed story: I signed up for this raced based on the recommendation of several local runner friends and based on recommendations on this site. DH and I love Chattanooga, and the race fell the weekend after my birthday, so we made it my birthday trip. Over the summer I worked on building up to running 5 days a week and adding mileage and a bit of speed work (and not withering away in the heat). That goal was accomplished. However, just as I was about to really ramp up to get ready for the race, I had an ingrown toenail become infected and lost 15 days. It hurt to walk, let alone run. I had a fallback plan, as two of my friends were planning on walking the race. I could join them if I didn't feel I could run it.

I decided to forget about shooting for any particular time and just work on building my base back and to cut back the week before the race. I was able to get in a long run of 10 miles, and felt fine so I felt like I could run the race.

DH and I stayed in Chattanooga. I carb loaded with several local beers. We got up at ass o'clock on race day and drove the 15 min to Ft. Oglethorpe, GA. Parking was a breeze and I didn't have to wait in line for a porta potty. Score! This race was very well organized.

DH and I met up with the friends who were walking and sat in their warm car until time to line up. It was a chilly morning, so I wore shorts, a long sleeve tech T and my Oatmeal Blerch shirt over that. I wore ear warmers and some cheap ass gloves from the drug store. It came time to start so I hopped in with the 2:15 pace group and tried to keep moving to keep warm. I got a LOT of compliments on my shirt. They fired the canon to start the race and we were off. I turned on my watch at the start but didn't look at it again until the 12 mile marker.

My legs and feet were frozen the first mile, but I assumed they were still attached because I was moving. I felt like the 2:15 group was going a bit slower than I was comfortable with, so I passed them. I just ran and took in the scenery. I loved every minute. I planned to treat it as a long run since I didn't have the base I wanted to truly race. I usually run in the 9:30-ish area for my easy runs in good weather. The course is truly beautiful. It winds through the Chickamauga Battlefield National Park. There were some hilly spots, but I'm used to those living in the Knoxville area. I passed a lot of people on the hills. I took water a few times and a couple of Gu's. I don't know how much they really help, but a sweet treat is nice. I never felt low on energy. My quads and feet were a bit achey by the 11 mile mark, but nothing I couldn't run through.

I passed the 12 mile marker, and I found myself alone. I just kept running. Some guy eventually passed me, but ran out of gas about .10 later. Hehehe. I kept catching people and picking them off. That was fun. I wasn't passed by anyone the last mile. When I came within sight of the finish area, I picked up the pace. I ran middle distance in high school, so that pain is forever etched in my muscle memory. I did the last quarter mile or so at an all out sprint for me on tired legs. When I rounded the last corner. I saw and heard DH cheering me on. That was the best moment of the day.  I saw 2:04 on the clock and knew I could beat 2:05 so I picked it up even more. I crossed the line, and walked a bit and tried to breathe and immediately started coughing. The cold air was tough on the lungs, but I was able to catch my breath. I collected my medal, my water, and found DH. It was a great race. We stayed and cheered on the marathon winners and watched for friends who were walking the half and running the full.

Here are my splits:

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

Summary 2:04:16.1 13.26 9:22
    1 9:54.4 1.00 9:55
    2 9:52.0 1.00 9:52
    3 9:37.2 1.00 9:37
    4 9:32.5 1.00 9:33
    5 9:36.0 1.00 9:36
    6 9:29.6 1.00 9:29
    7 9:22.1 1.00 9:22
    8 9:21.1 1.00 9:21
    9 9:19.6 1.00 9:20
    10 9:19.9 1.00 9:20
    11 8:55.7 1.00 8:56
    12 9:01.1 1.00 9:01
    13 8:54.2 1.00 8:54
    14 2:00.8 0.26 7:39

As we stayed to watch others finish, my heart broke for a friend. He was on pace to finish the marathon in 3:11 but missed a turn and ended up crossing in just over 4 hours utterly exhausted and in tears. He's got a good sense of humor and said he's proud to finish his first ultra and is already setting sights on his next race. Another friend completed his first marathon in just over four hours. Our walking friends completed the half in just over three hours. It was a great day, and I'd highly recommend this race.

Buddy's Race for the Cure RR

The other "race" I participated in this weekend was Buddy's Race for the Cure, which is a huge local race. It's a 5k, but it draws a lot of people. The proceeds go to help people pay for cancer treatments and to pay for cancer research in the local area. There is an option to do a "walk in the park" or even an "afternoon nap" for those who are not interested in or not able to run. DH and I did the walk in the park this year to support our friend Matt. Last year Matt's appendix burst and while he was in surgery, he was found to have stage 3 colon cancer. He went through grueling surgeries and treatments, and he is now cancer free. Matt's wife put together a team to raise money and to celebrate Matt's progress against his disease. All of the cancer survivors got a special medal and got special shirts. It was a wonderful event, and it's so good to know the proceeds help local folks. DH had two friends pass away from complications from cancer in the last two weeks, and we've had so many family members and friends who have gone through it, we love supporting this race. It will always be on our calendar.

My goal next year is to be in good enough shape to run the half and the 5k back to back if they fall on the same weekend again.

I will hopefully add some pictures later, but I wanted to get this out while it was still fresh on my mind.

Hip Redux

You ran your half like a progression run!   Whoa!

Buddy's Race sounds like a wonderful charity for a great cause.

happylily

You ran a great half and finished with a fantastic PR, congratulations! It's great that you were able to pick it up like you did in the last moments. Amazing improvement for you! And what a great story about your friend Matt, I wish him the best. It's cool that you participated in this race for him. But how disappointing about your other friend and his wrong turn in the marathon! It would be my nightmare come true to miss a turn and have to trace my steps back on the course. All this hard work for him and for nothing... Poor him... I hope he finds something else soon and gets to finish in the time that he deserves... Thanks for sharing your great RR!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

obiebyke

A 29 minute PR with a 15 day hiatus dropped in the middle training?! Wow. I'm super impressed! Congratulations!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

hog4life

I am just about speechless. Your half sounds fantastic. And the 5k has more heart felt meaning. I am a colon cancer survivor too. I only live about 2.5 hours from Chattanooga, so I need to put these on my list.

catwhoorg

Labrat

29 min PR is awesome. Thats pretty consistent pacing, with a pikcup at the end.

Your race for the cure event sounds like one that truly has special meaning.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your two events, Hobbit!   Wow, 29 minute PR, you rocked your half!

Sorry your friend missed his turn, but good for him for keeping a sense of humor.

Glad to hear your friend Matt is now cancer free!  A burst appendix is never a good thing, but in this case turned out to be sorta lucky for him since the cancer was found and was able to be treated.   We men are really stupid about our colons - and our prostates too -  and sometimes go into denial - "oh, it's just a little indigestion, let me take some Pepto for a while..."  and often wait too late to get checked.  With mine, I only went in on a fluke to get checked, and because of that mine was caught QUITE early.  So compared to what your friend went through, and what Mitch here (Hog4life) right on the forums went through with his, and what Paulette (on the RW forums) went through with hers,  I actually had a pretty easy time of it with my treatments.   Caught really early, colon cancer is one of the types of cancer that has a high success rate in getting rid of.  But you have to go in and get checked to do that!  And we men can certainly be stupid about that.   Glad Matt's was found and was able to be treated!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Great job on both events and congrats on the new half marathon PR!!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Congratulations you!   That's a really huge PR!   I cannot believe you got that infected toe nail so close to the race.  Timing can really suck sometimes, but it appears to not have hurt your race.   Awesome job to you on both races.  So nice of you to be such a supportive friend.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

Nice splits!  You have been making great progress, 2014 will be the year of the Hobbit.  You heard it here first!

Zelanie

Those are some beautiful splits!  Sounds like a really enjoyable time!

So sorry that you and DH have had cancer touch your life in so many ways, glad you were able to participate in Buddy's race as well.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Damn that's a huge PR.  Awesome progress.  As you said, your friend must have an amazing sense of humor.  Marathons are tough.  I can't imagine being on pace for a 3:11, and having to run an extra 50+ minutes.  I think I would just curl up and die.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

delicate flower

You ran your half like a progression run!   Whoa!

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Great job, Hobbit!  How long was it between HM's for you?  29 minutes is an enormous PR.

I hate having to get up at ass o'clock.  e-high fives for Matt.

<3

Great job, Hobbit.

Those were both good, well-written reports.  Congrats on the HM especially, you just kept getting faster.  And a 29 minute PR, holy heck!  That is amazing progress.

on my way to badass

Nice splits!  You have been making great progress, 2014 will be the year of the Hobbit.  You heard it here first!

Truth!

What a great RR!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28