Beginners and Beyond

Following a Training Plan Actually is Sensible (As I Slap Myself Upside the Head) (Read 108 times)

Love the Half

Before changing training, I'd look at pacing and the mental aspects of racing. Another thing to consider is recovery rate as a judge of how hard you pushed yourself. It may be that you need to go a little harder from the start, which is not a training issue, but pace judgment and being willing to risk a late race blowup if you're too fast. How has the competition affected your racing? Have you had any incentive to push harder in the race to catch or hold off competitors?

I agree that it could be that as well.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Before changing training, I'd look at pacing and the mental aspects of racing. Another thing to consider is recovery rate as a judge of how hard you pushed yourself. It may be that you need to go a little harder from the start, which is not a training issue, but pace judgment and being willing to risk a late race blowup if you're too fast. How has the competition affected your racing? Have you had any incentive to push harder in the race to catch or hold off competitors?

There probably is an element of what you're asking about there. I'm pretty conservative about training and racing, so I may be able to go out harder. As for competition, I tend to find myself stuck in gaps a lot - too slow for the really fast, but faster than the pack. I could try a race where I just hung with the leaders from the start instead of just settling into my pace some time. I am excited for the Columbus marathon, my goal race, because there will be about 50 people that will break 2:50 and I think it will help having a bit of a pack to push with.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn