Beginners and Beyond

Tripping Over THURSDAILIES to Get to the Weekend (Read 87 times)

DCDan78

Good morning, Dailies! I'm back, or at least trying to be. I've been in a stress induced funk most of the week and trying to force my way out of it. I had a solid 6 mile run at lunch yesterday, and I'm looking forward to some speed work (5x800) today. Despite my absence from posting, I have tried to keep up with you all the last few days. Heidi - awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping run the other day. Kay - Go Phillies! Are you on the PA side of the river or South Jersey?

Ball of Fury

Happy Thursday Dailies!  By the time I got home yesterday, I was working on 36 hours so I just went to bed around 4:30-5.  Got up this morning at 3:45 to do my tempo run, which immediately got amended to an easy 7 once I got outside!  One, it was snowing pretty steadily and although it wasn't super slick, it was wet/slick enough that I was afraid to go to fast in the dark.  Two, the wind was around 15 mph and half the time, the small icy snowflakes were pelting me in the face/eyes and I could barely see.  And three, my body just rebelled...it wasn't really tired legs so much as just a tired body overall.  So, I did my 7 easy (10:03/mile) and I will do my tempo run tomorrow.  Not a huge deal because I can just do easy miles Saturday and my long run Sunday so I don't have an SOS run back-to-back.  Run was kind-of enjoyable this morning except for the wind and snow pelting!  Hope you all have a great day!

Basya:  Good luck!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am leaving work early for my ultrasound appointment, they are checking the mesh in my hernia area, make sure I do not have a recurrence of the hernia.  After that, I will go to a local park this afternoon and get a few miles in.   Cooler today in San Antonio, 42 degrees right now, supposed to be a mild 64 or so for our high today.    Saturday I am doing the Diploma Dash 5K at the university where I work.  Race #15 for me for 2013.

Good luck with your upcoming marathon, Basya!  What time is it over there?  Happy sight-seeing!   I'd like to go back to Israel someday.  Last time I was there, people were shooting rockets at me!  Kind of hard to really see anything that way!

Sorry your little one is not sleeping well, FreeSoul.  Hope he feels better soon.  Good luck with your miles and workout today.

Tom, isn't this your off-time?  Why the heck are you up so early?  Happy miles for you later!

That's the best thing to do with coffee, Kay....ditch it!  Big grin   Coffee....Tight lips   Enjoy your spin class.

Way to go on the 5 miles, flarunner.  What the heck time do you get up in the morning to get all these miles in?  It's only a bit past 8 a.m your time right now, isn't it?

Active meditation?  How do you actively meditate, LRB?  Enjoy!

Enjoy your rest day, SUS.

You give yourself your own allergy shot?  Multi-talented Damaris!  Sorry you did not sleep well.  Also sorry, those idiots in Congress have not done anything about sequestration for you.

Pigpile, Phil?  OK, that brought some interesting mental images to my warped mind, lol.

Congrats on your elliptical workout, Kristin, sorry the ITB is stil bothering you!

Sorry about your stress-funk, Dan.  Hope you feel better!  Congrats on your 6 miles yesterday, good luck with speed work today.

Wow, 7 miles after 36 hours of work, you are a machine AmiK!  I'd still be sleeping right now, lol.  Good luck with your tempo run tomorrow.  Hope you have some nice solid sleep in preparation for that.

FYI for So I'm A Runner, from his comment in yesterday's thread:  I don't have to wear the braces all the time, just when I'm active.  I do just fine without them for 'regular' walking and even when I do my weight training circuits.  But when I get active (running, racquetball, etc), that's when I have problems, the activity seems to make my discomfort flare up really badly.  I have a big ole screw completely through my left knee and a 'indented' right shin, courtesy of the helicopter crash I was in during my military days.  The braces 'stabilize" my areas during activity.  I have tried every so often to go without them, and it works for a few runs...but then everything REALLY starts nagging me, and it's back to the braces.  I do regular strengthening exercises too, given to me by my Physical Therapist,  for those areas, but even so, still have to wear the braces when I get active.  As my orthopedic doc told me the last time I tried to get out of them:  "Scotty, I think you would have learned your lesson after all these years.  Live with it, and just be happy that you are able to get out there and do any running at all.  Lots of people can't even do that."  Of course he's right, it could have been a lot worse.  I am VERY thankful for that first surgeon after the crash, who did the initial surgery on me for 6 hours and pretty much saved my knee.  So I just live with it now and try and stay positive.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

This is what I have been doing to be able to be full and able to run a lot of miles.  I use my daily points and all my exercise points, but I try not to use my weekly points.  Last week, I used 5 of the weekly, lost 1 lb.  this week I used zero and lost another pound.  Try a combo like that and do it for two weeks.  If no loss, cut.  If I eat too few calories, I tend to gain so I need to eat as much as I can that will give me a loss.

I am not really doing it to lose but I wanted to see how my caloric intake is doing.  My husband said I am not eating much and he is right.  So the WW points help me for that too.

And by week 3, I noticed I chooae stuff based on points. Like choosing this v that

Kay don't scare me with pictures like that! That is disturbing!!!

Good luck Basya!!!

Today should’ve been a run day. But based on how my ITB has been behaving earlier in the week (and it feels ok now and I want to keep it that way!) I didn’t want to chance aggravating it. I’m looking forward too much to my 5K on Sunday to risk pissing off the knee. 3 days pre-race there really aren’t gains in fitness you can make to benefit the race from a running workout, anyway, right?? To play it safe I hit the gym for a killer elliptical workout. Throughout the whole ITB ordeal than has been going on for 2 months, the elliptical never has aggravated it, so figured it was a safe workout. 30 minutes including 3 min warm up and cool down, 2 minute intervals of higher speed, resistance and incline (though the actual resistance and incline varied each time) with 3 minute recovery periods. Then hip and core exercises and stretching. Foam roller at home.

Day 3 of Weight Watchers for me…. not looking forward to being hungry but I’m getting smarter about it already, yesterday I used less points and was less hungry than Tuesday.

Have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Scotty, hehe. The allergy shot has to be given in a hospital setting.  So I drove to the doctor and now I am waiting.  They have resucitation equipment here.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

@runjerseygirl

I am heading to the gym for some active meditation, and I am looking forward to it.

I approve of this message.

Dave, Kristin, I'm sorry.  I hope I didn't get any on you. Smile

Do you even run?

BruceD555

Good morning folks!

BasyaSpiliakos- I'm glad to hear you at least got a few hours of sleep with everything going on. Your day sounds absolutely amazing and I'm a bit envious (in a good way) of the time you were able to wander around the Old City. After that pedi you deserve to put your feet up, get a cup of tea and rest before your race. Have an awesome race!!

FreeSoul87- Sorry you're another of the "shortchanged by sleep" party, but I hope you're able to get in your kick boxing and 4 miles later on ... and maybe even a quick mom-nap.

RunTomRun- Enjoy that nap! (and the 4 miles to finish up the month)

KayPS- Nooooooooooo! That's why my coffee resides in a Contigo. Enjoy that spin class today ... wonder if it'll be speed ... or hills ... or speedy hills ...

flarunner- Great job on the early 5 again ... you are so diligent about getting in those miles in the early AM.

LRB- You forgot to mention the wind that always accompanies the drop in temperatures for those weekend runs. Have a good one at the gym this morning. I'm praying for a repeat of last year's March ... that was nice!

SUSchnauzer- Enjoy your SRD today!

StepbyStep-SH- Loved the Curious George story. BTW, it never really gets better for sleep & children. When our son is home from college he pushes the opposite end of the day because he's used to staying up til 1 or 2 AM. Listen to your body today regardless of what you choose - class or progression run.

Docket_Rocket- Hope you have a good one today and no issues from the allergy shot.

Dtothe2nd-  Nice way to start off the day with an awesome run! It sounds like you're fully recovered from your race and I love it when those runs feel effortless.

Baboon- Better wear that brace if you're gonna PIGPILE. Hope you have a great one today and continue with that incredibly speedy recovery.

kristin10185- Nice job on the elliptical this morning. Hope you have an awesome race on Sunday.

I had a fabulous interval workout yesterday and today is just a nice 6 mile recovery run. We got about another inch of snow overnight and the roads are still "snotty" so I'll probably end up doing my miles later on this afternoon on the TM @ work.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Nevrgivup

Hey guys. Just finished one assignment. Two appointments today and than I have to do a video tonight of the cardiac assessment. Sounds like fun stuff no? My poor husband has no choice but to be the patient.

I decided on doing a 5K this Saturday. I will avoid the hills and run a recovery paced 3 on the TM sometime today. I hate the TM after this winter. I can't wait to run more outside. Daylight savings will help me with that.

Basya- Good luck!!!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning B&B! Nice start to my 10-day taper for my hal;f next week with a easy 7+ miler. legs felt a bit beat up from my 3x2m cruise intervals yesterday, but nothing a RD can't cure tomorrow RD's are important and not all about running 80mpw every week worrying if you'll lose fitness if you miss a run. Probably get in HMP miles on course on Saturday though. Can't wait for my race next week.

Baysa - good luck to you in Israel!

bruce - nice 800s yesterday

Kay - just like a Phillies fan spilling the coffee!Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hey guys. Just finished one assignment. Two appointments today and than I have to do a video tonight of the cardiac assessment. Sounds like fun stuff no? My poor husband has no choice but to be the patient.

I decided on doing a 5K this Saturday. I will avoid the hills and run a recovery paced 3 on the TM sometime today. I hate the TM after this winter. I can't wait to run more outside. Daylight savings will help me with that.

Basya- Good luck!!!

Well, heck, he could have a lot worse nurses.  He's lucky he got you.

Good luck with your upcoming 5K.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Pinktastic

Good Morning Runners!!

How is everyone doing this morning? I hope that y'all are having a Pinksational morning!!

Basya – Sorry that you didn't sleep well last night. I hope you can get in a good nap today and sleep well before the race. We're all pulling for you and we can't wait to hear how your race went!! Remember that you're are incredibly well trained, you've worked hard for this, and don't let the taper doubts get to you.

FreeSoul – Good luck with your run and kickboxing tonight! Hope the little man sleeps better as well!

Tom – Nothing wrong with a good nap! Have a great end-of-February run later!!

Kay – NOOOOOOOO!!! Please tell me that you didn't spill your coffee this morning!! Enjoy spinning at lunch!!

Flarunner – Nice run this morning!! Hope your day is Pinktacular!!!

LRB – I hope you have some time today to enjoy the “heat” wave with temps in the 30s!! May your active meditation lead you to a peaceful day!!

SUS – Great run yesterday!! You are making so much progress in your running comeback!! Have a wonderful day!!

Shari – Oh man!! I love Curious George, but I would just DVR it instead of getting up that early. Wow!! Hopefully y'all can get a nap in as well.

Damaris – I hope that you don't have a bad reaction to the allergy shot. Enjoy working from home today!!

Dave2 – That does sound like a great run and a Pinktabulous way to start your day! Way to go!!

Phil – Pigpile? May your recovery continue to go amazingly well and have a Pinktacular day!!

Kristin10185 – Sounds like you made a wise decision today and you got a great workout in this morning!! Good luck with your Weight Watchers – I know others who've done it and made some serious progress so hopefully you will get to where you want to be as well!!

Dan – Sorry that work has been so bad lately, but hopefully running has helped to relieve some stress. Hope your run today goes well!!

Ami – That was a challenging run this morning! Way to get it done!! I hope that you can get some much needed rest today!

Scotty – Looks like you're going to have another gorgeous day in SA! That should make for a Pinklightful run this afternoon!! Enjoy!!

Bruce – Sorry that weather is keeping you inside and on the TM, but I hope that you have another fabulous run today!!

Hilary – Sounds like a busy day!! Have a great run tonight – it'll be spring and you'll be enjoying the beautiful weather soon!!

Jedi – As usual, nice run this morning! Have a great taper – your race will be here before you know it!!

I was unable to get a run in yesterday because of work which was really stressing me out. But, I am off today and tomorrow and my only “big” plans are to RUN!! Woo Hoo!! I'm sure I'll get some chores done and a few other things too, but enjoying the sunshine during my runs is my priority for the next few days.

I hope that y'all have a Pink-mazing day!! And, may your next run show you the beauty in the world and in yourself!!

- Sarah

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Nevrgivup

Well, heck, he could have a lot worse nurses.  He's lucky he got you.

Good luck with your upcoming 5K.

Yes. He gets a free physical every time I submit a video for a grade. LOL.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

good luck. are you "racing" it?

Basya- Good luck!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

@runjerseygirl

Kay - just like a Phillies fan spilling the coffee!Smile

Wink

Do you even run?

Nevrgivup

good luck. are you "racing" it?

Yes! Last year my time there was 24:50. I want to beat this time. We will see. Smile