Beginners and Beyond

Which is better? (Read 115 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

This is why I won't be outside Monday.

Wuss Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I realized I voted but didn't comment...

Personally I run outside if at all possible. The only reason I ever don't is if it is dangerous out (very icy, huge thunderstorm, blizzard) otherwise if my safety isn't severely compromised I get out there. I hate the treadmill and have the hardest time running on it--physically (it really hurts my calves for some reason and I also run significantly slower than outside) and mentally.  I've never run on an indoor track but I think if I had one I'd pick that over the TM. At least I'd be moving forward, albeit in circles.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

Honestly, I didn't know it was possible to get a -79 in the US (excluding Alaska). Won't the internet waves freeze on that day? That would be tragic!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

From the Internet.

Our indoor track is a wee bit less mind-numbing at 200m/8 laps per mile, but I've been going with the treadmill because I can watch stuff on Netflix and pretend I'm not utterly bored and sweating buckets. I'm actually growing to like it and might try a run with no entertainment before the winter is up.

My club does coached group track workouts on the indoor track and that would really be ideal for preventing boredom, but my legs are not ready for speedwork yet - hopefully next winter I'll be able to take advantage of that.

Chasing the bus

They "caught" me running outside last month, here at work (I work at a remote location, week on/week off, look up Prudhoe Bay, Alaska). Now I'm forced to run inside up here all winter. Even so, I don't like wind. More than 10mph headwind, especially if it's winter, and I'm out (or in). I could take a ten minute bus ride to the other gym and run on a short track. I choose the treadmill. Convenience wins.

At home (near Anchorage), we rarely get wind, and my winter route has good protection by trees, so it's outside for me down to even -20F.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
            Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

obiebyke

If you're an ice road trucker, can I get your autograph?

look up Prudhoe Bay, Alaska

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

GinnyinPA

I've been to Prudhoe - no protection from the wind there, except the buildings.  It was cold in July!

I don't mind the treadmill, probably because I started running on it.  I ran in the basement for two months before I ever went outdoors. (Started in midsummer, plus I was afraid people would laugh at me, I was so slow and awkward.)  I don't handle weather extremes all that well when I'm running. In summer the humidity gets to me badly; in winter my sinuses go nuts, so I have a hard time breathing, my nose runs like a faucet, and I soon start coughing, plus I'm terrified of falling on the ice.  I've been pushing my limits a bit more this winter, but if there's ice on the road, I'm not running there.  I'll either put on some music or start a trail video and run along the Pacific Crest or Continental Divide for an hour.

I've never tried an indoor track, but given my knees, I don't think I'd handle the constant turns well.  I have a hard enough time with the tilted roads here.

workinprogress11

I am a huge cold wimp. Anything under 25 degrees and I am inside. I am very lucky to have 2 really nice indoor tracks to choose from. One is 5 laps per mile and the other 8. I ran 13 miles indoors a couple of weeks ago and while it wasn't as good as outdoors, of course, it wasn't too bad. I can't even fathom running more than 6 miles on a treadmill and even that much is mentally grueling.   You treadmill people must be mentally stronger than I am.

LRB

Monday is my off day phew, although the first three days of the week look absolutely unbearable!  Funny thing though is if you can get a sky with full sun, it is not as bad as the temperature suggests.  As was the case here yesterday.

WIP, I remember the avi of you shivering in the wind back in the day so that does not surprise me!

I am a huge cold wimp. Anything under 25 degrees and I am inside. I am very lucky to have 2 really nice indoor tracks to choose from. One is 5 laps per mile and the other 8. I ran 13 miles indoors a couple of weeks ago and while it wasn't as good as outdoors, of course, it wasn't too bad. I can't even fathom running more than 6 miles on a treadmill and even that much is mentally grueling.   You treadmill people must be mentally stronger than I am.

Do you have good cold weather gear? That makes all the difference in the world, I am generally able to be comfortable down to single-digit windchills,

I am not nearly the treadmill achiever that some here are; I have always hated it but have somewhat gotten used to it, like I think you can with pretty much anything. When you need to get the miles in by any means necessary. I have gotten up to 10, can't imagine doing a LR on one.

Dave

delicate flower

Holy shit.

<3

LRB

I have gotten up to 10, can't imagine doing a LR on one.

10 miles is a long run for some of us Dave.