Beginners and Beyond

Goblin Gallop 5k RR (Read 35 times)

Short Version

27:15 (3.18 miles)

4/27 AG

38/284 F

103/485 OA

Long Version

On Sunday, I ran the Goblin Gallop 5k. It is put on by my middle school homeroom, English, and French teacher, Mrs. Quadrino, and her husband. Their son died from cancer at the age of 7, so they created the John Quadrino Foundation to benefit children with cancer and all proceeds from the race go to the foundation. I was a volunteer through middle and high school and never thought I would be able to run it – 3 miles was just impossible. Even so, I had gone back and forth on signing up because my training isn’t nearly at the point where it can support a race – my average weekly mileage for the past month is around 8 with two “long runs” of 4 miles. I ultimately decided to register on Friday, but online registration was closed and I had to wait to register in person on Saturday at packet pickup. Lo and behold, Mrs. Quadrino was helping out with registration and packet pickup that day and I saw her for the first time in about eight years. She recognized me immediately and got a little teary-eyed. It was a very nice moment and would make whatever pain was to come the following day 100% worth it.

My main goal for the race was to not blow up. That has to be one of the worst race feelings for me other than an injury. My “I believe in miracles” goal was to PR (sub-25). From looking at previous results, I knew that a sub-27 would give me a good chance of placing in my AG and it seemed like a realistic goal. My strategy was to not go out too hard during the first mile (8:30-9 pace) and then try to keep an even effort/pace for the next two miles. Spoiler alert: I failed epically. Tongue

The race start was 9 am. I budgeted myself 30 minutes to get ready in the morning, 30 minutes to drive and park, and then an hour to do whatever I needed to once I arrived. I ended up arriving an hour and twenty minutes early and got to be the first one to use a porta-potty. It was pretty magical. I then just hung out in my car until 8:15 or so. I decided to do an actual warmup: an easy mile, some pickups, and stretching. In hindsight, this was too much of a warmup for me given my training. I then went to the bathroom again and lined up. My plan was to start about halfway back so that I wouldn’t go out too quickly. Unfortunately, most of the people ahead of me were unpredictable children and people who should have lined up in the very back. I spent the first half mile or so bobbing and weaving. Once things settled down, I saw that I was on pace for a 7 minute mile and figured that my Garmin was off. Just in case, I slowed down a bit because “not blowing up” was more important to me than my finish time. It turns out that my Garmin was, in fact, correct and I was, in fact, going way too fast as I finished my first mile in 8 minutes flat.

I paid for it in mile 2, which seemed to take forever. Around the halfway mark, I finally found my groove, but there was a pit in my stomach saying, “You should have had more than just a banana.” Somewhere during this mile, I was the victim of spit-ricochet, which was incredibly gross. I clocked in at 8:50 for mile 2 and was now running on fumes and the desire to be done.

Mile 3 wasn’t as bad because I knew it would be over soon. I played leapfrog with a little boy for much of this mile. He would run for a bit, start walking, then as soon as I would pass him, he would start running again. Eventually, he gave up. At 26:30 I asked myself, “Do you want to finish in 27? If so, then you can if you start pushing now. It will hurt, but you can do it.”  And in that moment, I really didn’t have the mental toughness to want it. I did manage to sprint the last 100 meters or so and pass a woman who I hoped was in my AG. I finished the last mile in 9:14 and the last 0.18 in 1:11, bringing me to 27:15 – a PW by 53 seconds, but still pretty good for 8 mpw. Also, I may have faded, but I didn’t blow up. Big grin

After the race, I decided I should eat or drink something, so I got a hot dog and an apple juice. I was pretty sure I didn’t place, but I checked the printed results just in case before leaving and saw that I came in 4th in my AG, just 12 seconds behind 3rd. Arghh!! I should have pushed!!

Overall, I’m pretty happy with how the race went. I got to catch up with a former teacher and I didn’t do too badly considering my training, or lack thereof. I can point to a few specific things that went wrong that should be pretty easy to fix: 1) warm up appropriately for my fitness level, 2) eat more the night before and/or for breakfast, 3) don’t go out to fast (!!!). My next 5k is November 8th and I may do another one on December 7th. DH may join me for one or both for his first 5k(s). If he does, then I may stick with him instead of going for a time goal and just practice pre-race strategy and not going out too fast.

Thanks for reading! Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

LRB

I was summoned to school one year on account of one of my girls causing a ruckus in her 8th grade class.  So I'm standing there rolling my eyes listening to this woman tell me how boy crazy my kid is for about 10 minutes when somewhere way deep in her face I realized she was my 7th grade teacher!  She had married and changed names and gained weight so I did not initially recognize her but it was totally weird!

Anyway, nice to see you still at it.  I once raced with flu and set a new personal worst so you got that going for you.  lol

Is there a timetable for when you might get back at it full bore?

Docket_Rocket

Great job...failing epically!  Don't forget to not go out too fast (we all do this)!  Nice!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

I was at the end of the RR, still looking for the failed epically. Sorry things didn't turn out the way wou wished, but it doesn,t look too bad to me.

Thanks for sharing.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

A 27:15 time does not sound like failing epically to me.   Congrats on your 5K!

So sad about your former teacher's son, but good for her for turning something so tragic into a positive helping mechanism for others.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB - Thanks! For now I'm just listening to my body and running when/how far/how fast it says to. I think I came back too aggressively after surgery last year, so I'm just going to take it slow. My goal for this year is to be able to consistently run four miles four days a week...maybe up one of those runs to six miles if I'm feeling it.

Docket - Thanks! I kept telling myself to keep it slow and honestly thought I was running at a 9:30-10 minute pace until I checked my watch. Race day magic wins again! Tongue

Cyberic - So "epically" may have been too strong a word, but when your goal is to start off slow so that you don't blow up and you end up running one of your fastest miles, it feels pretty epic in the moment. Tongue Finish time aside, it would have been a much more comfortable race if I had just been smarter at the start and that's what I really need to work on.

Scotty - Thanks! It wasn't the finish time so much as the pacing that was epic. I'm happy with my time, just not how I got it. Tongue

Upcoming Races:

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

First, I really can't stand 9:00 starts. Secondly, way to push through mile 2 and put the hammer down at the end. A 5k may be short, but then certainly hurt. Good work out there and you didn't blow up. Smile

happylily

I think you did just fine.  Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

tracilynn

I'd kill for a 27! Congrats!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack - Thanks! While the 9 am start did let me sleep in a bit, it was just late enough for my stomach to wake up and to take up all of my morning. There was a kid's run at 8:30, so they best they could have done was to push everything up a half hour I suppose. Also, I think this is the first race where I've felt a bit queasy at the end and I think this is the most sore I've been post-race. My quads finally stopped hurting this morning. Smile

Happylily - Thanks!

Tracilynn - Thanks! I am happy about my time, just not my execution. At least my next 5k is close enough that I *should* still remember why I don't want to start too fast. Big grin

Upcoming Races: