Beginners and Beyond

Race Report - The 2014 Disneyland Half Marathon (Read 73 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

OMG Rick, so glad you wrote this report and you look fabulous.  Tell me for real Laura ran the 5k.  NO WAY.  I love it.  That is wonderful she is running and I hope she stays with it for herself and for you.

You always have the Disney perspective, the large mobs do not  get you down, you just go with the flow.  Gratz on 3 years of running.  Job change?  Seems like your life continues on an upward trajectory, and I hope it wont stop.  You are an inspiration to me and I hope to some day cross paths with you again to rehash old memories.

You Rang?

FreeSoul - Thanks!

Scottydawg - C'mon out!  I'll warn ya.  Disney ain't cheap.  It will be the most expensive 5k you'll ever run.  Getting in is a problem.  When the race sells out 4 hours after opening, Disney concludes that it isn't expensive enough.  And then the local hotels have special marathon weekend rates... higher than rack.  It's crazy $$$.

DaveP - Overcrowding is a real problem at this race.  I was the 3,106th person to cross the finish line.  I had a hard time finding Kevin, the Coach from Snail Pace who ran this thing in 1:40.

Jerry B - Thanks!

Zelanie - But I really really wanted that donut!

Bozydeco - I gave up on the doughnut when I entered Anaheim Stadium.  I was given a packet of Clif Goo. I've still got it.

GinnyinPA - My old PR was set at the same race a year ago.  I had the same issue there.  I'm wondering what I'd get if I ran a non-Disney half.  A race with 600 runners or so.  I'm looking at one in British Columbia in February.  It just looks really cold and damp.

Brilliant - runDisney is crazy expensive, and as mentioned above, the faster the races sell out, runDisney will conclude that the race is not expensive enough.  I'm lucky to be a local and not incur travel costs like air fare and hotel.  I posted this to my Facebook page, and Joy is a friend of mine.  I'm sure she will have a doughnut for me next Sunday.

PADRunner - Thanks!

Blue - Thank you for your kind words. Sometimes I thinkI write better than I run.  I certainly have more practice writing than running.

fouroutta5 - Laura briskly walked the 5k.  Her time was 1:02.  Recall she has a congenital heart defect that needs to be evaluated before she does any crazy hard cardio.  As to the job change, I'm winding down my solo practice and am folding it into a law firm.  This takes a lot of the stress of wondering where the next fee check is coming from.  It's really a good deal.  The new firm brings better benefits.  My old health insurance policy would pay to sew my arm back on if it fell off.  The new firm's insurance is much better. Good enough for Laura to get her heart evaluated and treated.  If you want out from the snow this winter, I'm running the WDW marathon next year and the Surf City Half in Huntington Beach, CA.  C'mon out.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

delicate flower

Good stuff, Rick!  Congrats on the PR!  No donut though?  That is unfortunate.

<3

B-Plus

Baboon also thanks you for posting pics of said hardware.

Cingrates Lurch!

LRB

At least this time we weren’t in the same group photo and not see each other.  That was embarrassing.

I remember that pic, classic!

PR's are nice.  Good luck with your training!

Cool report, Lurch.  Glad you had fun, and congrats on the PR.  Next time, be the Genie and conjure the donut?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great RR, Lurch. Man, that picture of the porto potties is INSANE! I especially like your line about "sticking a needle through tech material makes you want to PR. I think we all know that feeling.  I have never wanted to run a Disney race, until now. Your RR makes it sound like a lot of fun, even though the last few miles are torture. That's the way it always is. The screaming crowds must have been very cool. 99% of my races are on the smaller side so I never get crowd support like that. I'm glad you got your PR and best of luck to you in your marathon.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So what was in the black box of the bling you got???

(didn't see you mention it in the RR)

And, congrats, btw!!!  Wink

Randy

You Rang?

Baboon - you had no idea how much I wanted that donut!  I'd been thinking about it for about an hour.

B-Plus - Thanks

LRB - I've met Docket.  Business took me to Miami and I met her for coffee in a Starbucks.  We actually talked about meeting up before the race. I suggested a location and then neglected to load the Facebook messenger app and  left my reading glasses in the car.  Don't read much while running.

Jack - You must tell me about these smaller races you run.  I think the massive crowds are slowing me down.  My first mile here is an 11:30 where all the others are in the mid to low 10's

redrum - My wife refers to the black box I'm holding as a box 'o runner chow.  It has a bunch of products that runDisney collected a fee from the producer to put in the box. Other than a Clif bar, I don't remember what else was in the box.  Good marketing eh!

Rick 

Docket_Rocket

Those corn chips and the cheese, hello?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

You Rang?

Those corn chips and the cheese, hello?

I still have those from the 10k and the half.  Shall I mail them to you?

Rick 

Docket_Rocket

I still have those from the 10k and the half.  Shall I mail them to you?

No.  I'm fine.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page