Beginners and Beyond

Study: Runners have less risk of arthritis and hip replacement! (Read 40 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

New study shows runners have a lower rate of osteoarthritis and hip replacements than walkers, and those doing other forms of exercise, and the more miles per week the better!

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/running-linked-lower-arthritis-rates-walking

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Just B.S.

There have been other studies over the years that proved basically the same things. It's just that non-runners

don't want to believe them.

I read one a few years ago, I believe it was from Harvard, that followed a study group for something like 20-30

years and the runners has a significantly less percentage of arthritis and knee problems than the non-running

group.

Hell I"m 51 and have been running for 14 years (half marathons for 10 years)  without an ache or pain in my

knees or legs. With the exception of a twinge now and then. Most of my friends in my peer group are overweight

with knee and arthritis issues and constanly complaining about their  aches and pains.

Little Blue

A question comes to my mind:  i wonder if it depends on how long a person has been running.  Does the person who started when they were 45 have the same level of reduced risk as the person who started at 25?  Or would those extra 20 years cause some level of degradation that can't be overcome by the exercise?

I clicked on the link to the study, but I only saw a few words that I even recognized. Blush

Love the Half

A question comes to my mind:  i wonder if it depends on how long a person has been running.  Does the person who started when they were 45 have the same level of reduced risk as the person who started at 25?  Or would those extra 20 years cause some level of degradation that can't be overcome by the exercise?

I clicked on the link to the study, but I only saw a few words that I even recognized. Blush

Just speculation on my part.  If you are running for fitness, and by that I'm talking about running 25-30 miles per week, you can do that indefinitely and not experience any problems.  If you are running for performance, putting in 50+ miles per week with hard speed sessions, there is probably a limit on how long you can continue to do so.  Are there statistical outliers?  Sure, but that would be my guess for most.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).