Beginners and Beyond

Memorial Day MonDAILIES (Read 51 times)

Hip Redux

Same as last week : my LR was good, body felt fine, then the next day SO SLEEPY!

I googled around a bit and it sounds like maybe I need to eat after my LRs.  I drink tons of water, but don't have much of an appetite.  I've still got some pounds to shed, so I usually wait until later when I'm hungry.

Anybody have experience w/ this ?  Does post-LR nutrition make you feel better the next day ?

What do you end up eating, when you finally get hungry?

LRB

Anybody have experience w/ this ?  Does post-LR nutrition make you feel better the next day ?

I would not say post run nutrition so much as overall nutrition.  I am more munchy than usual the day after my long run, but that is to be expected when you burn upwards of 2000 calories in a single run.

If you are eating enough to support your running exploits (including the ancillary calories we burn at work or home) throughout the week, your energy stores should always be high...relatively speaking that is.

Energy wise, I am pretty much always raring to go.

I googled around a bit and it sounds like maybe I need to eat after my LRs.  I drink tons of water, but don't have much of an appetite.  I've still got some pounds to shed, so I usually wait until later when I'm hungry.

Post-LR nutrition makes me feel better post-LR. I generally down some Gatorade then have a big meal almost immediately. Always hungry. 

Dave

Docket_Rocket

This.

Post-LR nutrition makes me feel better post-LR. I generally down some Gatorade then have a big meal almost immediately. Always hungry. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I always eat a little something after my LR. Always. It helps keep my energy fairly stable. My next workout feels better.

Rondog65

Hello everyone,

Hope all had a good Memorial Day and want to thank all the Vets for their service.

Had a nice recovery run of 3.2 miles today after yesterday's race.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

B-Plus

Haha no, I appreciate it. I'll get back there when I have the laptop out again. I'm actually leaning towards trying 4 weeks of what's in the McMillan link I posted. That's more in line with what you wanted. I couldn't tell, was the mikeymike comment a compliment or dig? I'm good either way, just curious ha.

I only skimmed the article, but I think a short 6-8 week speed segment where you focus on 5ks like these guys mentioned could serve as your speed first. From there you can easily transition into more marathon specific work as you head into the fall.

Do you mean mikey's comment about the 20-week plan, or my comment about mikeymike's comment lol? I think what we're both getting at is that 20-weeks is a long-ass time to be a slave to a schedule. I remember back in the RWOL, many peeps, myself included would cringe at these 18, 20, 24 week plans. When you think about it, the first 1/4 to 1/3 is usually mostly base building anyway, which you already have. I had always favoured the 12-week Pfitz plans, or better yet, the last 12 weeks of his 18-week plans. That being said, I just finished my first run of my 20-week plan. 139 more days to go lol! I think it's good for me though, because I've been slacking off lately and could use some base rebuilding.

If I knew how to train myself to peak, I would just run a shit-ton of miles with some fast running once a week (I don't really know what kind). Then 4-8 weeks out, transition into the specific endurance type of stuff to top off the engine. But I don't know about this kind of stuff, so I just follow plans in the popular book of the day. It's an interesting discussion anyway, and I'll be following along even if you don't see me poking my head in there anymore. Check out that link Jeff dropped you if you haven't already.

8 miles @ 8:03. My legs felt heavy, and it didn't help that I was running into a headwind going up the bridge. I'm a bit wet, so core work will have to wait until after dinner.

Damn, I was hoping to get caught up with race reports, but there are so many now. Sorry if I don't comment on all of the daily peeps, but I will read all of them.

StepbyStep-SH

jjs - Re: post-long run refueling. When I first started doing long runs (13+ miles at the time), I wasn't hungry for a few hours afterward, but I found that the next day I would eat anything not nailed down. Having a smoothie (it was easier to drink something than eat) with fruit and yogurt within a half-hour of finishing my run, usually while I stretched, helped with the next-day munchies. As far as being tired, could it also be from getting up extra-early to get the long run in? Sometimes early mornings/short nights don't catch up to me until 2-3 days later.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Will run for scenery.

jjs - Re: post-long run refueling. When I first started doing long runs (13+ miles at the time), I wasn't hungry for a few hours afterward, but I found that the next day I would eat anything not nailed down. Having a smoothie (it was easier to drink something than eat) with fruit and yogurt within a half-hour of finishing my run, usually while I stretched, helped with the next-day munchies. As far as being tired, could it also be from getting up extra-early to get the long run in? Sometimes early mornings/short nights don't catch up to me until 2-3 days later.

Hi Shari,

My longest LR this season is 10 miles.  Mainly I haven't been eating afterwards just b/c there's no appetite.  But my stomach is pretty solid : I could throw down a big meal no prob.  And even though I did wake up early Sun AM, that was with naps on Sat and Sun.  Sun night I had a reasonable-sized meal (3/4 of a chicken) and today I snacked some (peanut M&Ms) but not outta control and no excess hunger at lunch or dinner.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the DAILIES !  Carry on....

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!