Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Run for Dystonia 5K (Read 12 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

Held on January 31, 2016, this was my 7th race of 2016. The Dystonia 5K was done for a member of our running community who has dystonia, a neurological movement disorder that causes painful involuntary muscle contractions and spasms. It causes abnormal postures and movements in the head, neck and shoulders. Race location: 9 a.m. start time at O.P. Schnable Park, done on trails that are part of the San Antonio greenway trails system. Weather was already over 60 degrees but low humidity and dew-point, sweet. Nice turn-out for this event, about 200 people. There was a 5K and a 10K. I did the 10K and ended up with a finish time of 32:20, putting me 2nd in my age group of 60 – 69.

BEFORE THE START

Arrived at the park with a little less than an hour to go to start time and immediately began to get some pre-start photos.

Me with Race Director Virginia, one of my favorite people.

photo 044_zpssufcqtr4.jpg

Some of the iaapweb.com folks who did the course setup, timing, race results, etc.

The lovely Minny (the lady, not the dog, althoug the dog is mini ) and Mario

photo 001_zpsr5y4uckl.jpg

The lovely Lana

photo 008_zpsjinekrp1.jpg

ANGEL Jose with his shining heavenly lights;  okay, I accidentally hit my flash button and it lit him up, lol.

OK, that's better

Some of the participants, sponsors, supporters, etc.  The people wearing the blue "Run for Dystonia' tech tees are wearing the race shirts participants got in the goody bags.

photo 002_zpsoklelros.jpg

photo 003_zpsx1faaxfr.jpg

photo 004_zpsmd6unola.jpg

photo 005_zpssprto1mz.jpg

photo 006_zpsqeapbvfx.jpg

photo 007_zpspjorlbrc.jpg

photo 009_zpskqcozlhx.jpg

photo 010_zpswxwhabge.jpg

photo 011_zpslx0kgaj8.jpg

photo 012_zpszh05rvhx.jpg

photo 013_zpsbcpekrdf.jpg

photo 014_zpsg8ihoqur.jpg

photo 015_zpsjy8qbu5q.jpg

photo 016_zps2tqjvnk5.jpg

In the start area

photo 017_zpsyc3alkms.jpg

photo 018_zpskticipbi.jpg

This guy was the one who got first in my age group for the 5K

photo 019_zpssnjn0zfj.jpg

ON THE COURSE

I’ve run several times at this park, so knew what to expect: an uphill for about the 1st quarter mile, then a downhill incline, then a large downhill, then a mostly flat course with a few inclines – nothing you could really call a major hill, in my opinion – to the turn-around point; and then back the way we came. Of course, going back, we had to climb UP that big downhill we initially came out on. Once we turned left, however, to head for the finish line, it was all downhill from that point. O.P. Schnabel is a very nice park, with scenic trails – both paved and off-road – with some of them going alongside a creek. The park also has a large event pavilion and some smaller pavilions inside the park, baseball and soccer fields, picnic and grilling areas, and one of the local YMCAs is located in the park – which is convenient for me, as I am a member of the Y and can use the shower and locker facilities, etc.

photo 020_zpshsbbomfo.jpg

photo 021_zpsxaf0dhtx.jpg

photo 022_zpsizdip7ix.jpg

photo 023_zpsxupecchu.jpg

photo 024_zpsabvjdxeh.jpg

photo 025_zpselftb4gy.jpg

Creek to the left of us going out, on our right coming back

photo 026_zpsxjgc4rih.jpg

I made the turn-around and am heading back now the way we had come out

photo 027_zps0yc0wj24.jpg

photo 028_zpshmlcxteb.jpg

photo 030_zpstkpebkil.jpg

photo 031_zpsgnvfc8r2.jpg

photo 032_zpsgqr0gfe8.jpg

Goofin...got a photo of me on the trail and with the creek and woods to my back..except the creekbed was dry at this point of the trail, lol

photo 033_zpsywr5ribj.jpg

photo 034_zpsy8emisly.jpg

photo 035_zpscqbpyorx.jpg

This is the big hill we went down on the way out, and climbed on the way to the finish.  I stopped and got a photo looking back.  As you can see this is a 2-part hill...we came up first part of the hill - you can see a bit of it on the left behind that last lady - and then turned right come up this part..

photo 036_zpslvmbxgmt.jpg

And then we had to do this up incline to a turn at a picnic pavilion, where it was downhill to the finish from there. It was about 1/4 of a mile up this incline to the downhill turn.

AFTER THE FINISH

Post-race goodies included breakfast tacos – choice of potato & egg or bean & cheese- various fruits, pastries, cupcakes….and beer! Love Carrera Races, they always have great stuff post-race.

photo 045_zpstvsilvud.jpg

photo 046_zps3z91evoo.jpg

photo 047_zps4qukwzk3.jpg

photo 048_zpsiyarrv90.jpg

This was some good stuff...

photo 050_zpshwkectig.jpg

photo 051_zpsus3dzfia.jpg

photo 052_zpsycp2nukl.jpg

Happy finishers, supporters, volunteers, sponsors, etc

The lady on the right was the first overall female for the 5K

photo 038_zpsr3e6ps1g.jpg

I finished WAY behind all these speedy folks here, lol.

photo 040_zpstrfibn4y.jpg

photo 041_zpsa2ly2nvl.jpg

photo 042_zps4psipgv8.jpg

photo 043_zpsgeqcfxd1.jpg

My speedy friend, Bernadette, got 2nd in her age group

photo 049_zpsjedhirde.jpg

photo 053_zpsug5nl6cn.jpg

photo 054_zpss9jhre3l.jpg

photo 055_zps7r1cb5f3.jpg

photo 058_zpsczzjbdr7.jpg

photo 059_zps7nblip9y.jpg

photo 060_zpsy0ctp3pl.jpg

Very bright sunlight today - gotta love San Antonio winters, lol - so a few people here took a short nap... 

photo 056_zpsqqpxy3pl.jpg

photo 057_zpswggfzs8j.jpg

Team Tyler and Perry provided those breakfast tacos for us...thanks so much!  "Coach Dog" to the right is making sure they all behave. 

photo 061_zps24yafr5j.jpg

photo 062_zpsfhv92hry.jpg

This dog is so cool and so funny.  He loves bananas.  So while I took the photo, a friend of mine held up a banana near my camera, with the dog looking right at it, lol.   Yes, he did get the banana piece after we finished, and he gobbled it right down.

photo 063_zpsbok7c7gy.jpg

This doggie helped pull his lady up that finishing hill...and then took a well-deserved rest.

photo 064_zpsykr0jjkp.jpg

Some of the folks who got medals

photo 065_zpsznxp5yq1.jpg

photo 067_zpshqdetwgb.jpg

photo 068_zpsth5srtn0.jpg

photo 069_zps2yuvx9eq.jpg

10K winner in 37-something, averaging 6-something per mile, good grief!  His 10K time is close to my 5K time, lol.

photo 070_zpskwaprb6z.jpg

And in closing...I did a Selfie with my camera with Bernadette.  As I have an 'ancient" camera, we kind of had to guess where to point the lens, lol, since we could not see ourselves, like on a phone camera, and then hope for the best.  I think this came out pretty good.

photo 066_zps7gctzg2f.jpg

EPILOGUE

I do several Carrera Races events over the year and they never disappoint. Nice organization, nice course locations, nice post-race goodies, nice goody bags, and usually a very nice quality tech-tee race shirt. Definitely check out their race calendar on their Carrera Races website. Also check out the iaapweb.com race calendar too. They did the timing and results for this event – and they work closely with Carrera Races on its events – and iaapweb also has some pretty darn good events over the year too.

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, etc, who were all out there we participants today; all those folks that make this one happen for we entrants. All of you did great for us!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

You don't do 10ks very often, so congratulations! Especially since it was your second race this weekend.  I hope you got to put your feet up afterwards. Looks like a lovely place to run, lots of room to spread out.

music_girl117

I did the 10K and ended up with a finish time of 32:20, putting me 2nd in my age group of 60 – 69.

5k or 10k?  Either way, nice job. Smile

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)