Beginners and Beyond

**Updated with results in OP** This girl is on fire! (5k RR w/ pics and a PR) (Read 689 times)

Nice job on the PR and great RR!

Anomalous

Sub 30! Alright!! Congratulations Cool

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

runmomto3boys

Wow, Kay!  I missed this one.  Congratulations on the big ole PR and on making a ton of new Mommy running buddies, all at the same time.  What a great race.  You look cute as a button, too!   Adorable!  Well done!

Awesome race, that's a great time!

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

The Roof...The Roof.... The Roof is on Fire!!!

Your burning down the house with that speed.  Love your reports Kay, settle in for some nice holiday cheer and get read to Kill it in 2013!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

44 degrees and you wore a sleeveless shirt/singlet? Bow Down Before You  I'd be in my long-sleeved shirt, lol.

Congrats on your race, Kay, and on the PR.  Nice photos too!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Awesome job, Kay!  Congratulations!

I admit I thought the same thing George did when I saw your splits.  You can run a faster 5K.  It's tough though to strike a balance between starting strong and going out too fast.  Nice work!

<3

@runjerseygirl

Thanks everyone!

Scotty, I bow to the king of RR's.  Your reports put mine to shame, LOL!

Phil, I guess the biggest challenge for me is that I'm still new.  I don't really know what my race pace is.  All I know is that if I were to try a 3 mile run at a 9:something pace during the week, I'd feel like I was dying at the end.  I know that some racing speed comes from adrenaline, but I worry about whether or not I'd be able to finish or run the whole thing if I start too fast.  I do appreciate your and George's confidence in me, though.  I guess I'll never know until I try.  Maybe next race I'll take a little more risk. Smile

Do you even run?

Congratulations, Kay.  Awesome that you got the PR and I'm glad you seem to have figured out the migraine issue.

delicate flower

Phil, I guess the biggest challenge for me is that I'm still new.  I don't really know what my race pace is.  All I know is that if I were to try a 3 mile run at a 9:something pace during the week, I'd feel like I was dying at the end.  I know that some racing speed comes from adrenaline, but I worry about whether or not I'd be able to finish or run the whole thing if I start too fast.  I do appreciate your and George's confidence in me, though.  I guess I'll never know until I try.  Maybe next race I'll take a little more risk. Smile

I've only run ten 5K's myself and definitely do not have them figured out yet.  I've blown up early, and I've finished with too much left in the tank.  It's hard to say which is more frustrating, but all we can do is run more races to try and figure things out.  Smile   

<3

LRB

I've only run ten 5K's myself and definitely do not have them figured out yet.  I've blown up early, and I've finished with too much left in the tank.  It's hard to say which is more frustrating, but all we can do is run more races to try and figure things out.  Smile   

I agree with this.  Which is why I am usually thinking about registering for my next 5k, while eating the stupid banana they give you at the finish!

Kay, based on the fact that your fastest mile came in the third mile, I would suggest the goal for your next race be 27:19.  Which is an 8:49 pace per mile average. 

Now, that's not a firm, drop dead must run time, just a dangling carrot for training runs.  

Of course it all has to come together, and as we know, it rarely if ever does.  But the chase is so damn fun!

@runjerseygirl

I agree with this.  Which is why I am usually thinking about registering for my next 5k, while eating the stupid banana they give you at the finish!

Kay, based on the fact that your fastest mile came in the third mile, I would suggest the goal for your next race be 27:19.  Which is an 8:49 pace per mile average. 

Now, that's not a firm, drop dead must run time, just a dangling carrot for training runs.  

Of course it all has to come together, and as we know, it rarely if ever does.  But the chase is so damn fun!

Wow, 8:49 is a scary number, LOL!  I guess I have a new goal.  Scary as it may be, I won't know until I try, right?  Maybe I'll be able to do it, maybe I won't.  But you're right; the chase will be fun. Smile

Do you even run?

Just B.S.

Good job kay!!

meaghansketch

Thanks everyone!

Scotty, I bow to the king of RR's.  Your reports put mine to shame, LOL!

I think you'll find that the more experienced you get, the more the gap between your race pace and your training pace will widen.  A week ago I did a 5-mile run around 9:30 pace and found it rather challenging (not quite like I was dying, but it was far from an easy run, and it was definitely not 'conversational'.  The next week I did a 15K at an 8:13 pace.  It can be difficult to believe what's possible on race day, but have faith in the training, and yes, take some risks, and you can really surprise yourself. 

SheCan

Great report, Kay!  Sounds like a good all around day.  Congratulations on the PR.   Super nice that you met other local running moms.  The pictures of everyone are so cute!   And best of all, NO FREAKING MIGRAINE!!!!!   That's awesome-- as a fellow migraine suffer-er, I totally get how that can ruin a run.  Smile

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson