Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins Please Move To The Front Of The Line (Read 37 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning and welcome to the weekend penguins!

Yesterday I did upper body and abs at the gym . When  I got home I did my 1 mile run. I need to work on some kind of comeback plan. So far the only thing I have planned is my Sunday long run of ....1 mile.

Hope everyone enjoys their 2 or 3 day weekend!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Gustav gald you're going to be able to run!

I'm cleaning my apartment because my boyfriend and his dog are on their way to visit for tge weekend. I like keeping the illusion that my apartment is always sparkling. Maybe I will get to the gym today we will see.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Gustav and Kristin and Pengs.

Last warm day, so we might try a long run later after DW gets back from taking DD to podiatrist.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh! I had a dream last night about my 10K next weekend, that I'm trying to walk. In my dream, a friend gave me an ugly shirt and asked me to wear it for her and all I could think of was it ruining my race photos. I forgot my ipod and my garmin at home. And then I couldn't find the place to pick up my bib and I didn't get one. Then, I was in the porta potty when the gun went off. Then I found out as I began that instead of goung around the park, the race was going up and down escalators and stairs (with my ITBS stairs HURT almost as much as running does). So I dropped out of the race partway through.  What a dream!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Rained the whole day and I couldn't fit a run in. Returned to work for few hours today. Perform some testing. Hope the weather clears for my 13 tmr.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Good luck on the comeback.  Maybe you could start with a modified C25K.  You're definitely not at "Couch" level based on your workouts, and I'd guess you're going to need a program to hold you back more than anything.

Kristin - At least your boyfriend is coming over, and you're not being Te'oed!  I used to be an RA in college.  I had to key into rooms and check for fire hazards while students were home for break.  I will never buy the illusion that women keep their apartments clean...lol  Don't get me wrong.  College kids in general aren't the tidiest, but the women's dorm rooms were on another level of disaster.  As long as your apartment doesn't smell like you're covering other smells with sprays and candle scents, then you're ahead of the game.

Jerry - Gotta love this MidWest climate.

Bin - Good luck with the weather.  It's one thing to miss a run, but when it's something out of your control it can be pretty frustrating.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sounds more like a nightmare, Kristin.

Oh! I had a dream last night about my 10K next weekend, that I'm trying to walk. In my dream, a friend gave me an ugly shirt and asked me to wear it for her and all I could think of was it ruining my race photos. I forgot my ipod and my garmin at home. And then I couldn't find the place to pick up my bib and I didn't get one. Then, I was in the porta potty when the gun went off. Then I found out as I began that instead of goung around the park, the race was going up and down escalators and stairs (with my ITBS stairs HURT almost as much as running does). So I dropped out of the race partway through.  What a dream!

no runninng today. my legs felt dead after yesterday's 4 miles. This morning I am working at school until noon. I am running "saturday school" this is for kids that are behind on school work. I have 3 little angels with me this morning. this will be a long 4 hours, but $80 almost buys some shoes or could pay for a race or something. Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

hog4life

Gustav, maybe try something like a mon, wed, fri. Whatever you decide, don't overdo it.

Kristin, that was a weird dream. Enjoy the weekend.

I'm looking to do a LR today of 12 or so. First I need some coffee though.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I slept in instead of meeting the running group, so 10 miles tonight.

Gustav, good luck with the running comeback.

kristin, have fun with the boyfriend this weekend.

Jerry, enjoy your LR.

Bin Running, hope you get your run today.

Awood, morning!

Tomas, enjoy your rest day.  Sounds like you need it.

Mitch, enjoy your LR.

Hope everybody has a great day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Morning!  I slept in instead of meeting the running group, so 10 miles tonight.

Tomas, enjoy your rest day.  Sounds like you need it.

last night, i got back in town at 11:15 after watching 3 hoops games and driving back home. The fam was hanging at a friend's house. So DW said come on over. 1 cold beverage turned into 6 and playing phase 10 and washers until 3 am. She must think I am young or something. So while I get to work today, she gets to sleep.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Zelanie

Sometimes the easiest answer might actually be the best one.  I realized during my run last night that I hadn't been using my foam roller at all lately.  Could that be behind whatever had been bugging my leg this week?  My run went fine, no pain but the legs sure didn't feel like they'd just had 3 days of rest.  But I came home and rolled the heck out of them and already I feel like I have so much more range of motion.

Tonight if all goes well I will run 7 easy, then rest and reassess tomorrow.  Oh, and lots of foam rolling.

Gustav- Maybe the Higdon 5K novice plan?

Well I'm off to day two of my conference!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I was going to run 5 after doing an upper body workout at the gym today, but it turns out that it's going to be in the 40's today and teens tomorrow with snow.  For comfort and safety, I'm going to switch my workouts around.

Today's workout will now be:

2 miles easy + 5X(5min Tempo + 1min Easy) + 1 hour easy

I'm guessing it will end up being about 12 miles.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - well on the road to a comeback!

Kristin - that is one crazy dream!  You should organize a race - ugliest running shirt gets ya bonus time off the clock.

Jerry - you've got that right.  It was less than 20 F for most of the week.  Yesterday it got up to 40 here.  Today, 33 during my run but supposed to drop to 7 tonight with high of 15 tomorrow.  Warm days are LONG gone.

Bin - hope you can work it in

Awood - sounds like we are in the path of the same weather system... hence, I ran outside to day before it hit.  Have a great workout

T-Rod - great way to look at it.

Mitch - have a great LR.  I'm not sure I could manage a LR with coffee in my gut

Damaris - love the new avatar... well, first time I've seen it anyway.

Zelanie - sounds like you've figured it out.

AFM - I was awake by 0530 but dozed on/off until there was enough daylight to see were I was running.  With icy paths I'd just as soon really be aware of what is ahead.  13.13 miles for me today.  Not a bad pace either, total 2:36:39...  Feel good.  I had to work to keep it up the last 4-5 miles.   I'm finding I'm dealing with nausea after my long runs.  It usually sets in about 20 min after.  I may be hydrating too quickly after the run (and I do hydrate during).  I took in one gel, at the half way point, so that may play into it.