Beginners and Beyond

Anybody Rocking a Fitbit? (Read 208 times)

runTDC

I have the Zip.  It was less money than the ONE.  When I was using My Fitness Pal alone, I would load in all my running and more calories were allowed each day.  Now that I just pair up Fitbit with MFP, Fitbit routinely allows about 150 calories les for the same amount of exersise.  The difference I think is the counting of steps total is a little more precise.  I don't know...All I know is suddenly the scale is moving, where it wasn't before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teresa

Aug—Double Dipsea

Oct 9–R2R Grand Canyon, baby!

2024 goals- Run trails, race a few, get a little faster, gain some endurance, enjoy life…😊

Token Fat Guy

I have the Zip.  It was less money than the ONE.  When I was using My Fitness Pal alone, I would load in all my running and more calories were allowed each day.  Now that I just pair up Fitbit with MFP, Fitbit routinely allows about 150 calories les for the same amount of exersise.  The difference I think is the counting of steps total is a little more precise.  I don't know...All I know is suddenly the scale is moving, where it wasn't before.

Exactly! Maybe it's the numbers geek in me, but it feels like trying to lose weight by measuring calories in vs calories out without the ability to track calories out is an unbalanced math problem.

Sorry if I'm overly enthusiastic about it, it's a fun toy.

5K - 29:29 10K - 1:07:52 13.1 - 2:28:36

DentingPavement.com

Don't call me Buttercup!

I didn't know it tracked sleep.  That might be worth the money, right there.  I have trouble falling asleep sometimes, and it would be interesting to see how long it takes me to fall asleep and what I did or ate or whatever that day, and if there's a correlation.  Hrm.  Thanks for the post, it's given me something to think about!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Jess runs for bacon

I have the ultra, which they don't make anymore. If something happens to it I'll get the one that goes on your wrist. The coolest feature I think is the floors, it counts how many floors you walk up. This works on runs and a quick way to get elevation gain

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I don't feel like the miles traveled is entirely accurate (I have the One). The stairs and steps seem on, but I've compared distance from the Fitbit, my Garmin, and Map My Run and the Fitbit is always short.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Token Fat Guy

I don't feel like the miles traveled is entirely accurate (I have the One). The stairs and steps seem on, but I've compared distance from the Fitbit, my Garmin, and Map My Run and the Fitbit is always short.

I would agree with that, especially while running. My first weekend with it I ran Pat's Run down in Tempe, which is 4.2 miles.  My Garmin said it was 4.07, and Fitbit said I was a little under 4.  However, my dad walked Pat's Run and the numbers on his fitbit seemed accurate.  I'd like to think I was running too fast, and that was throwing it off - but I live in reality. Big grin

DentingPavement.com

I would agree with that, especially while running. My first weekend with it I ran Pat's Run down in Tempe, which is 4.2 miles.  My Garmin said it was 4.07, and Fitbit said I was a little under 4.  However, my dad walked Pat's Run and the numbers on his fitbit seemed accurate.  I'd like to think I was running too fast, and that was throwing it off - but I live in reality. Big grin

could the stride length throw it off?

walking vs running?

I dont need something telling me lies or the truth if it tells me my runs are shorter than I think they are Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Token Fat Guy

could the stride length throw it off?

walking vs running?

I dont need something telling me lies or the truth if it tells me my runs are shorter than I think they are Smile

It could be stride length - I've been transitioning to more of a midfoot strike so my stride varies within the run.  I haven't done too much looking into it, TBH.

Of the different metrics it tracks (steps, sets of stairs climbed, distance traveled, calories burned, and their arbitrary "active score") I pay least attention to active score followed by distance traveled - especially on a day with a run.  On a rest day I may glance at my distance traveled and marvel how I hit 3.5 miles when it feels like I barely left the couch.

Since I'm focused on weight loss the calorie burn is my main concern (and who knows, it may be off as well), but I wouldn't recommend the device to replace any metric of measuring runs.  Your phone or GPS watch will run circles around the fitbit in that regard.

DentingPavement.com

Token Fat Guy

I didn't know it tracked sleep.  That might be worth the money, right there.  I have trouble falling asleep sometimes, and it would be interesting to see how long it takes me to fall asleep and what I did or ate or whatever that day, and if there's a correlation.  Hrm.  Thanks for the post, it's given me something to think about!

You are very welcome, I thought the sleep component was pretty intriguing as well.  Here's what it actually looks like on the website, this was last night's sleep for me.  I don't always fall asleep this fast, but was pretty tired.

The strangest thing was seeing that waking up 12 times throughout 7.5 hours is considered a sleep efficiency of 94%.  Before this I would've guessed I *might* wake up once a night, a couple times a week - the lowest I've seen was 9 times.

DentingPavement.com

AutBatgirl

Thanks for bringing this up! I saw one of these in the store and wondered if it would be worth buying. I'm a terrible sleeper and my doctor has tried to get me in to a sleep study many times. It looks like this might give me some data that could possibly help pin down the issues. Looking at the website, I think I'll wait until the Flex comes out since that looks like it would be easy to use.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Docket_Rocket

If it's breakable, Miami will break it.

Heck if it can log my runs without me having to use my phone, then that could be cool also. It claims to be sweat proof. I bet it wasn't tested in Miami Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jess runs for bacon

It has a little holster so it should stay away from sweat. I know I dropped mine in the toilet and it survived.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Rungry!

The new Fitbit flex looks really cool. I used the clunky old-school version Body Media armband when I was losing weight - I got REALLY TIRED of answering everyone's questions about it. This is much more discreet and it seems like it delivers the same type of data. I am intrigued. Perhaps I can ask for one for my birthday?

Jen

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

The new Fitbit flex looks really cool. I used the clunky old-school version Body Media armband when I was losing weight - I got REALLY TIRED of answering everyone's questions about it. This is much more discreet and it seems like it delivers the same type of data. I am intrigued. Perhaps I can ask for one for my birthday?

I loved my bodymedia though.  I was addicted to the data!!