Beginners and Beyond

10k Race Report: On PR pace through 3.65 miles, then I missed a turn (Read 85 times)

Love the Half

I have to admit that one of the things I do not do well at is recovering from things like missing a turn.  I have never been able to get back into my pre-mistake groove.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

See whatcha get for runnin' up front??  

That's still a pretty sick time though!!

Randy

Zelanie

Nice run, and now you know what paces you can bring to the next one. Smile

Docket_Rocket

I missed a turn for my 50K and ended up running 3-4 miles more, sheesh.  The flag had fallen and it was not where it was supposed to be so three of us turned the wrong way.  It is tough when one has a goal and misses it because of this.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

That stinks Rick. I'd be upset, but it's a little out of the RD hands. He should probably use different paint than white.

- Andrew

delicate flower

Sorry about the missed turn, LRB.  I can certainly understand the frustration.  Still a heck of a run though.

<3

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh man! That sucks! If I didn't know better, I would have thought this was the title of one of MY 10K race reports considering I have been cut off by a chase vehicle, had a 10K course measure 6.8 miles, gotten injured, and had a car fire force the course to be shut down when I was 3 miles in all in the past year..... great race anyway though!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

workinprogress11

Sorry about the missed turn, LRB.  I can certainly understand the frustration.  Still a heck of a run though.

This.

You will get that PR next time.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

See whatcha get for runnin' up front??  

That's still a pretty sick time though!!

Happens far more than it should.

I've been in the situation once myself and right behind the leaders to see it multiple times...  The hands go out questioning and the lead bicycle is clueless...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, you ran great in spite of the wrong turn.  Sorry about the route confusion, but congrats on your 10K!

I'm like Damaris, lots of runners in my races - and also since I am pretty slow I am usually at the back of the pack, so have plenty of people to follow.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

Phew! My PR is still safe  Really sorry about that LRB. It almost happened to me last year, and I did start to take a few strides in the wrong direction when the volunteer was too busy trying to direct 5kers and 10kers in different directions. I think I a sign would have helped in my case. Just regroup and get it back next time.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That really hurts when an award or PR hangs in the balance. I've seen a few races where the pace car made a wrong turn taking all the leaders off course. That is inexcusable.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.