Beginners and Beyond

Raining Sunday Penguins.. (Read 40 times)

Bin Running

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Was raining the whole day yday and looks like it gonna continue today.. Monsoon season is coming..

But.. I managed to get my LR in this morning before it started to rain.. As it rained the whole of yday, this morning run was a little chilly for my tropical body... 13.5M

Have a good extended weekend...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Bin and other Penguins soon to follow!

From yesterday - Awood, Mitch, Zelanie, and Ginny - thanks for the come back advice. I never would of thought of using a training plan to "hold me back". The Higdon novice plan looks and fits perfect, as I have a race I would like to do in 8 weeks.

As for me - yesterday I did 2 hours on the bike trainer. I had enough things within arms reach to keep me occupied so boredom was minimal. Afterwards as a reward/recovery snack, the wife and I headed out for some gourmet ice cream. I had Expresso Bean and Cinnamon Bourbon. Next we hit a couple of wineries for some wine tasting and then we hit the Mercedes dealer to test drive the new 2013's. Ok- just kidding about the Mercedes test drives !

Have my long run of 1 mile on tap for some time today then next week starts the Higdon 5k novice plan!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm feeling pretty good about switching my runs around.  It's 18 degrees today.  So, I'm going to go to the gym and lift.  Then, I'll do 5 miles on the dreadmill before football.

Bin - Nice run yesterday.

Gustav - There's nothing wrong with test driving the Mercedes.  Then again, I might come home with less of an appreciation for my Versa.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Bin, Gustav and aw.  SRD, but I might go to Sports Authority and check out some shoes.  15F in ChiTown.

Bin Running

Gustav, a training plan sound like a good idea. What race are you doing in 8 weeks.

Awood and Jerry, look like cold weather is heading your way. Take care. And layer up if you are running outside.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 recovery miles sometime tonight.

Bin Running, nice run.

Gustav, we tested some Mercedes two years ago.  The salesman was very adamant when I told him we had a Lexus that Mercedes were better.  They are not. Ha!

Awood, don't be chicken.  18F is not that bad. Joking

Jerry, enjoy the rest day.

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Morning!  I have 5 recovery miles sometime tonight.

Bin Running, nice run.

Gustav, we tested some Mercedes two years ago.  The salesman was very adamant when I told him we had a Lexus that Mercedes were better.  They are not. Ha!

Awood, don't be chicken.  18F is not that bad. Joking

Jerry, enjoy the rest day.

Have a nice day!

I have to go to the gym to lift anyway.  I'm going to use laundry as an excuse to consolidate workouts to the gym.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

Bin, thanks for getting us started, and great job on the 13.5!

Gustav, I'll take some espresso bean ice cream, love any type of coffee ice cream.  I like the idea of using a plan to get back on track, good luck with it!

Awood, I love the cold, should be down in the 20s in the mornings this week, looking forward to it. Smile

Jerry, enjoy the rest!

Damaris, enjoy the recovery run. Smile

AFM, doing some laps around the lake today, distance unknown.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yesterday I did the Salute To Service Members 5K, my 6th race of 2013.  Report and photos link is on the main page somewhere.

Today I am being lazy till Gail comes home from church.  Slept in this morning, lounging around now.   Gail and I will go to a local park after she gets home, will get in a few easy miles.  Weather will be beautiful today, sunny and near 70.

Monsoon, season?  Where are you again, Bin?  I recall when I was stationed in the Philippines, sometimes it rained so darn hard, you couldn't even see across the street.  Somehow, though, we young whipper-snappers still managed to make it to the bars downtown. Joking  Congrats on your long run!

Aww, go ahead, Gustave, test the Mercedes.  Be like those test-drive VW commercials and keep it out all night, lol.  Good luck with your upcoming training plan!

18 degrees!  15 degrees!  Jerry, and Awood,  you want to come visit San Antonio for a while?  Stay warm!

Enjoy your recovery miles, Damaris.

Awood, I love the cold..   Well, Dave, you've always been a little nuts.  Wink   But then, what runner isn't?  Big grin  Laps around the lake sounds scenic...and very nice....unless the lake is frozen and you fall in...which would be my luck, lol.

Where is Kara and Doc Liz these days?  Miss those lovely ladies around here. And Rach too, hope she is doing well in Alaska, getting all settled in.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Bin, thanks for the start and nice run.

Awood and Dave, 18? 20? Hmm, not sure about that, but I did runn outside once with a feels like 22, so I suppose I'd go outside too, as long as it wasn't raining.

Gustav, you should do what I'm going to. I'm doing the Mercedes HM(they have a full too), the finisher's medal is the Mercedes emblem, I was thinking about just mounting it on the front of my car, and presto! I'll have me one! Although it may look a bit ridiculous on the hood of my GMC truck, lol.

I had a couple extra URD's last week with the lung biopsy, so I'll run after church today, maybe 6-8 miles.

amandasmiles

I ran for the first time in forever, this morning.  Norovirus.  It's a horrible stomach bug, and zaps all of your energy.

I was chugging along, nice and slow, and then tripped over something and twisted my ankle a bit.  I decided to take that as a signal that I should stop for today, and walk home.  I only got 0.6 miles in.  And that half a mile was HARD.  I was up in the 3-4 mile range before illness.  Ankle feels better now, so I will just have to focus on building my fitness back up.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It's up to 19, and the snow is falling.

REAL FEEL: -1

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Zelanie

OK, I am going to ask you guys for advice.  Hopefully I don't get opposite advice here and in the dailies!

As you know, I got what felt like a tight hammy last week the day after my LR.  It was a sort of an ache on the back of my thigh, just above the knee.  I took some extra URDs.  It was sore enough to affect my gait for just that one day.  Since then, I've taken some extra URDs, and it's mostly better.  But I can still feel it as a dull ache which now seems to be mostly in my knee, in the back.

Running on it doesn't seem to make it better or worse.  Yesterday I did do my MLR distance, which was 7 miles, and that was fine.  No change this morning.

I think we've narrowed it down to either worn shoes (current ones are my only pair and close to 400 miles), or a lack of foam rolling recently.  Or a random thing that happens because this is life.  I am now foam rolling and will probably go shoe shopping!  I am still not ready to completely retire my old shoes, but I can add my new ones into the rotation and wear them more often.

So, in the mean time, how should I schedule this week's runs?  Should I go back to my schedule as usual?  Should I do the mileage but no speed?  Should I do that and also cut down the distance of my LR?  What do you guys think?

Bin- When you say rain it sounds like maybe it's raining a lot harder where you are than when it's raining here?  We mostly get a steady drizzle.

Gustav- I'm glad that plan will work for you!  I think especially when building back up, it's important to be careful.  And since it's just a 5K plan, the Higdon doesn't have the normal huge LR in comparison to the other runs in the week.

Awood- I do like strength plus running in the same day.  Although I've been slacking on my strength workouts lately.

Jerry- Good luck shoe shopping!

D- Enjoy the 5 miler!

D2- Sounds nice!  Hope you have a good run!

Scotty- I would take some of that weather, please!  We've had mid 20s to around 32, plus freezing fog and air stagnation warning for like a week now.

Mitch- Hope your run goes well today!

hog4life

It's up to 19, and the snow is falling.

REAL FEEL: -1

Go run in it!