Beginners and Beyond

Moose shot during Cross Country Race (Read 81 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/moose-shot-during-cross-country-race

I normally hate when an animal must be killed, but this could have been really awful had the officer not been there to protect the runners. A bull Moose is something to take very seriously.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Jess runs for bacon

A moose bit my cousin once.

Sorry, I had to.

Love the Half

Hell, they should have had a cookout on the spot.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Not sure what they did afterwards, they didn't say though I am sure people are probably enjoying the meat. Isn't it hunting season up there? For moose?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Love the Half

The article said the meat was donated to charity.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/moose-shot-during-cross-country-race

I normally hate when an animal must be killed, but this could have been really awful had the officer not been there to protect the runners. A bull Moose is something to take very seriously.

No. The moose did not have to be killed. And no, I'm not some "liberal pussy" who is against hunting etc. I just find it hard to believe another option couldn't be found. They knew the moose were there, and I would argue, put the kids in some danger by even starting the race. In fact, after the 7th and 8th grade race this happened:

"About an hour after the incident, 1,100 people of all ages participated in the city-sponsored Tuesday Night Race Series, held in the park, but not on the same course."

So they had another course available.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I must have passed that part, my headache is killing me.

The article said the meat was donated to charity.

PRs

Mmmmm...beer

No. The moose did not have to be killed. And no, I'm not some "liberal pussy" who is against hunting etc. I just find it hard to believe another option couldn't be found. They knew the moose were there, and I would argue, put the kids in some danger by even starting the race. In fact, after the 7th and 8th grade race this happened:

"About an hour after the incident, 1,100 people of all ages participated in the city-sponsored Tuesday Night Race Series, held in the park, but not on the same course."

The other course is still in the same park, so there would still be a chance of a moose encounter.  It's not like he shot the bull preemptively, the officer only shot him when he charged.

I'm guessing that if they canceled/moved a race whenever there was a moose sighting, they probably wouldn't get to race much.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

The other course is still in the same park, so there would still be a chance of a moose encounter.  It's not like he shot the bull preemptively, the officer only shot him when he charged.

I'm guessing that if they canceled/moved a race whenever there was a moose sighting, they probably wouldn't get to race much.

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks needing an armed guard near a bull moose in case it charges a race course where 7th and 8th graders will be running seems like a unnecessary recipe for trouble.

I stand by my point. I don't believe there weren't other options.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It is in Alaska, I'm surprised there wasn't a bear out there too........... I am so glad I really don't have any animals to worry about when I am out running on roads or trails, maybe an occasional deer but they usually run away and I never see Bobcats and I only ever hear Coyotes which can be a very creepy sound at night.

PRs

One of the conference cross-country races on Saturday was rerouted mid-race for another moose - same trail system. Article by adn. Moose can be a major issue in that park during the summer, including 24-hr bike races. (It was funny since RW had a list of dangerous animals a couple weeks ago, but had not included moose. I mentioned that, then linked them to the adn.com article after that happened.)

We had some volunteers keeping an eye on a bear - and encouraging him to stay away from the trail - at a 10-hr Climbathon we did about 2 wks ago at a ski resort. He was sometimes visible from the tram on the ride down to do another lap up.

In the more remote races, we're on our own to deal with the local moose and bears, and more than one race has had participants delayed by bear or moose that won't move off trail. Wildlife has the right of way. If a bear has been hanging out around a kill site (probably most dangerous situation) or otherwise being aggressive, the trail may be closed to the public and/or race cancelled.

Standard procedure in Alaska when there is a moose (or other wildlife) hit by a vehicle or one killed in defense of life and property is to call the next charity (within reasonable distance) on the wait list to have them come harvest the animal and distribute the food to a shelter or families they serve. In my region of the state, there's sometimes a couple hundred moose killed by vehicles in a year. (I'm not sure if a family can be on the main wait list or just charities.) Getting someone out to harvest a kill in the middle of the night on a remote road can be a challenge.

ADF&G has someone mostly devoted to urban wildlife in Anchorage. Mixing people and wildlife in Anchorage is part of living there. For the most part, if the animals are doing what they normally do, people divert around them. Live and let live. However, when an animal crosses the line on normal behavior, they may be dealt with, which sometimes involves being shot. Re-locating a problem bear is just relocating the problem. The biggest problem with bears is people leaving their trash or birdfeeders (ok in winter, not in summer) out, then the bear gets into trouble. People can now be fined for violating the law about leaving bear attractants out when not allowed.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

This trail system is what I call an urban spaghetti-loops system with all kinds of options - maybe 1500acres, over 30mi of trails. It's a great place for races because of carrying capacity of trails and parking (huge issue for the Tues Night Races, which have about 1000 entrants these days). It's also home to a number of moose and bears. For at least a couple decades, people and wildlife have been interacting in the area. Most wildlife don't cross the boundary of acceptable behavior, but sometimes seemingly random movements result in undesirable outcomes for the humans or the wildlife.

I actually saw the picture on FB before adn.com (FB "friend" or his friends were in the article).  I just went back to that thread which had a more detailed account, but still not complete, by an eyewitness. This moose had apparently been watching the race, got tired of staying in one place (after a few hours) and moved across the trail, then got agitated. The adults had been trying to keep the moose - 5 of them - out of the race course area. Over the course of several hours, animals move.

Depending upon where they were in the course, there may not have been an easy reroute. Remember, these aren't adult runners and to turn a 5k race into a 5mi race mid-race could cause issues. In Saturday's race, the person that saw the moose apparently was familiar enough with the trails to do an in-race reroute.

http://www.muni.org/Departments/parks/Documents/KincaidSkiMap.pdf 

has the ski trails, but not the new single track trails, which I believe is what the hs kids got rerouted on.

The Tuesday Night races that happened after the middle school races actually have 3 leagues - munchkins, farm, and lightning - that use different trails. Those course is not marked until that day and distance and location is announced at start line. Great races. No fussing over pace charts and certified distances - just go race your heart out. The Munchkins (little kids) encountered a moose on the trail, stopped, let it move, and continued on. This is what usually happens with races encountering wildlife on trail.

For whatever reason, the moose on Tuesday crossed the line. At that point in time, was shooting it the only option. Based on eyewitness accounts, I won't 2nd guess the shooter. Could other things have been done earlier - sure, they could have used a different course with a more aggressive bull or bulls - or a bear - on it and had problems earlier in the race.

This is life in Alaska. It's about risk management.

Another moose at yesterday's conference championships for high school, but someone did a quick reroute. Not sure if he had the authority to do that, but I'm not familiar with hs rules. BUT what matters is that everyone finished safely.

http://www.adn.com/2013/09/28/3100295/chugiaks-jordan-souths-lash-run.html

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

This trail system is what I call an urban spaghetti-loops system with all kinds of options - maybe 1500acres, over 30mi of trails. It's a great place for races because of carrying capacity of trails and parking (huge issue for the Tues Night Races, which have about 1000 entrants these days). It's also home to a number of moose and bears. For at least a couple decades, people and wildlife have been interacting in the area. Most wildlife don't cross the boundary of acceptable behavior, but sometimes seemingly random movements result in undesirable outcomes for the humans or the wildlife.

I actually saw the picture on FB before adn.com (FB "friend" or his friends were in the article).  I just went back to that thread which had a more detailed account, but still not complete, by an eyewitness. This moose had apparently been watching the race, got tired of staying in one place (after a few hours) and moved across the trail, then got agitated. The adults had been trying to keep the moose - 5 of them - out of the race course area. Over the course of several hours, animals move.

Depending upon where they were in the course, there may not have been an easy reroute. Remember, these aren't adult runners and to turn a 5k race into a 5mi race mid-race could cause issues. In Saturday's race, the person that saw the moose apparently was familiar enough with the trails to do an in-race reroute.

http://www.muni.org/Departments/parks/Documents/KincaidSkiMap.pdf 

has the ski trails, but not the new single track trails, which I believe is what the hs kids got rerouted on.

The Tuesday Night races that happened after the middle school races actually have 3 leagues - munchkins, farm, and lightning - that use different trails. Those course is not marked until that day and distance and location is announced at start line. Great races. No fussing over pace charts and certified distances - just go race your heart out. The Munchkins (little kids) encountered a moose on the trail, stopped, let it move, and continued on. This is what usually happens with races encountering wildlife on trail.

For whatever reason, the moose on Tuesday crossed the line. At that point in time, was shooting it the only option. Based on eyewitness accounts, I won't 2nd guess the shooter. Could other things have been done earlier - sure, they could have used a different course with a more aggressive bull or bulls - or a bear - on it and had problems earlier in the race.

This is life in Alaska. It's about risk management.

Another moose at yesterday's conference championships for high school, but someone did a quick reroute. Not sure if he had the authority to do that, but I'm not familiar with hs rules. BUT what matters is that everyone finished safely.

http://www.adn.com/2013/09/28/3100295/chugiaks-jordan-souths-lash-run.html

Except for the occasional moose.

I just stepped back in to say in no way do I second guess the shooting. A bull moose charged and needed to be stopped. I get that but it wasn't my point.

I'll defer to the locals as this is obviously very common and the only possible option.