Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins.....what'd I miss?? (Read 31 times)

on my way to badass

Hiya Penguins!

Kristin- glad to see you back.

I'm thinking about registering for a HM in September.  I have my first 10K next month.  My training plan had been going well but took a hit this week when DS got strep.  Fortunately DS and the weather are supposed to improve at the same time.  Does anyone have any thoughts and/or words of encouragement?  I'm thinking of using the Train Like a Mother Finish It plan, and if I feel a need for more challenge, I'll do the Own It plan.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

My cousin's wife is ok. She moved into acute rehab for several weeks. The weekend after she moved in I went to visit her with my parents, and that is where I got my first stomach virus (her, my cousin, her family and my family all got sick the next day) and I've had a strong of illnesses ever since so haven't been back. She now just moved into sub-acute rehab, which allows her to leave the facility to go on outings with family. My cousin has brought her to their house for a few hour. She doesn't remember it Sad it is a new house for them in the last 6 months. She is doing well with the baby when the baby visits but still struggles with memory and executive functioning that would make it impossible for her to care for the baby independently right now, but baby steps. Thanks for asking.

It will get better, you'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Hiya Penguins!

Kristin- glad to see you back.

I'm thinking about registering for a HM in September.  I have my first 10K next month.  My training plan had been going well but took a hit this week when DS got strep.  Fortunately DS and the weather are supposed to improve at the same time.  Does anyone have any thoughts and/or words of encouragement?  I'm thinking of using the Train Like a Mother Finish It plan, and if I feel a need for more challenge, I'll do the Own It plan.

What is your average mileage so far for 2014?  When I was training for my first HMs (only ones I ever trained, ha), I used Hal Higdon Intermediate and Advanced.  I liked his plans then.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

What is your average mileage so far for 2014?  When I was training for my first HMs (only ones I ever trained, ha), I used Hal Higdon Intermediate and Advanced.  I liked his plans then.

Early in the year I was trying to do 20/week.  On the current plan I am getting near 20 miles a week.  In February I missed a whole week being sick.  My long run next week is supposed to be 10 miles.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ginny- I'm still running the half in Hawaii. Very excited Smile not expecting anything too great just to finish and have fun.

Kristin, which half are you doing in Hawaii?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

I think she's doing the second half. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Awood, if you are coughing up green stuff and phlegm-gunk then I don't think I'd go run anything major.  If you expectorate clear then you probably are ok to some degree.

Hope the weather behaves for you, Jack.  Be happy for the rain though, you probably need it, like we do here.  It is raining like a Big Dog in San Antonio today.

Happy gym tonite, PAD!

Sounds like a very sensible plan for you, Lauren.  Have fun with the group run this weekend!

Glad your new equipment seems to be working out for you, HsM!  You'll be 'cut' like LRB in no time! 

ONE HUNDRED miles behind goal, Bin? Dang, just how much is your goal anyway?

Ginny, you can get rid of the Pandora commercials IF you buy the premium version...that's why they zap the commercials at you when you use the free version..they want you to get annoyed enough to upgrade.      Walking the dog in that wind sounds like it would be hard work!   And what does the poor dog think about being out in all that?

Glad to hear your cousin-in-law is doing better, Kristin!

Zelanie, I had e-mailed the guy and asked if I could be put on Happy Feet team - I have some 'buds' on that team that I know from way back - so I guess he removed me from HillKillers and put me on 'available' to wait for an opening spot.  It's all good.  I'm still logging my weekly mileage, even as low as it is...15.8 miles last week, lol.   Pathetic.  But I'm just happy to be able to do any miles at all.   Good luck with your BIGGIE track workout!

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or words of encouragement?   StoneFence, I've done 6 half-marathons and one marathon.  And I didn't even do my first half until 1998 when I'd been running for 15 years already and I was 44 years old, and my first (and only) marathon was done in 2000 when I was 46. And then I did 5 more halfs after that, between the time I was 46 and 50.   So, hey, if a fat old dog like me can get it done, then you most certainly can!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I think she's doing the second half. 

HahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahahaHahahahahaha

Very funny!

Philliefan33

Good afternoon -- it's been a busy day at work, made all the more frustrating by computer issues and slow server response.  you would think that a huge, global company could get their act together regarding connectivity, but not today.

I hope I get to run later, but I just found out I need to pick up DH after work.  So maybe we will just go home and eat.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good afternoon -- it's been a busy day at work, made all the more frustrating by computer issues and slow server response.  you would think that a huge, global company could get their act together regarding connectivity, but not today.

I hope I get to run later, but I just found out I need to pick up DH after work.  So maybe we will just go home and eat.

See, you shoulda brought your stuff...you could go to DH's pickup place after work, let him take the car, and just run home. 

SheCan

Yesterday after work I did 3.4 miles of paved roads and groomed trails in Brackenridge Park, a very popular San Antonio city park that is adjacent to the San Antonio Zoo.  Beautiful weather, 70 degrees, sunny, light wind, low humdity/dewpoint.   Part of the park roads and trails go along the river, so that was nice and scenic...green lawns full of picnickers by the river, ducks and geese in the water and diamond-like sun-flecks sparkling off the water, and also as I ran I enjoyed my local ' oldies classic rock' station which plays a set of 106 minutes non-stop music every day starting at 4:30 pm.  Perfect, since I get off work at 4 p.m. and am usually out there by 4:30 p.m.    Very nice run/walk.

I'm 'kind of' in the Miles Game.  I see I went from Team Hillkillers to "Team Available."  I'm hoping to get onto Team Happy Feet so I can 'chase' the Great Legs of my buddy, SheCan.    And I see another Great Legs lady I know from way back is on there too..TWHgal. Woo-hoo! 

Woot-WooT  Yay!  Did you send Lanie a note?

Yesterday's run sounds wonderful!  Did I tell you my DH went to S.A. last week, but they made him fly.  I wanted to go so bad, but the cost of flying was too much, and he didnt have time to drive.

kristin-- wowsers you've had some tough luck with your body lately.  Glad you managed a bigger week now.  I'm just proud that you're racing again already.    @ cousin still.  i'm not surprised that there's bumps along the way.  Not everything is quickly fixed.

This week & last has just been darned busy.  But I'm starting to train for another ultra, so i did 22 Monday, 10 yesterday and 6 today.  Off to lunch now.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

1.75 walk on the TM  at the gym @ 3% incline.  Knee was okay with this, but still have limited range.   4 running miles for wifey outside today.

I'm sending her down to Phoenix to run the Ultra, Cherie.

Docket_Rocket

Early in the year I was trying to do 20/week.  On the current plan I am getting near 20 miles a week.  In February I missed a whole week being sick.  My long run next week is supposed to be 10 miles.

check the Hal Higdon plans then.

scotty, there is a second half in SF.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - It happens.  I disappear from time to time.  I also get sick...like...this week.  Oh well, I got in a good tempo run tonight.  I've never had chest congestion for just 2 days, but I'm feeling pretty good today.  Hopefully, I won't have to take any more time off.  We'll see.

Hey Jerry!

Docket - I'm thinking I need a bike for the Oak Barrel.  Can I borrow yours?  I need it stashed at the 6 mile marker.  It's downhill from mile 9, and I need to make up some time for a big PR.

Scotty - ENOUGH with the beautiful weather!  We're still getting snow.  You're like the guy with cupcakes outside of a weight watchers meeting.  Sheesh!

Jack - I stole your workout for tonight.  Take that.

PAD - Are you going to get all buff and stuff?  They won't let you into Planet Fitness if you do.

Lauren - That marathon distance is like that.  Nobody wants to do it, but then they hit the gateway drugs (5K, 10K, HM).  It's all downhill from there.

HsM - Thank you for also having snow.  I don't feel so all alone now.

Bin - Mojo is overrated.  It used to be a television station, but it's out of business now.  You'll be fine :-)

Ginny - Thank you for also having cold weather.  It's like a support group here.

Zel - You got this!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Okay...I can't get to page 2 yet.  I have to start working on dinner.  Good news is that my run went well tonight, and I'm below 225 again.  Who knows what I'll feel like next week.  I never know.  LOL

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013