Beginners and Beyond

Today's Penguins Are Tuesdalicious! (Read 33 times)

hog4life

5 miles done, 38 degrees, feels like 28. The wind is howling here, temps will drop into the teens tonight.

Jack, I sent a friend request to ya!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Just came back from a 10 mile run, in the snow, with feels like 8 temperature! My beard was covered with ice and I had a couple of 2 inch icicles on my chin that looked like a goatee! When I started there was a little over an inch of fallen snow. When I got home it was over 2 inches of snow on the ground. The roads are very bad - for cars that is. Now it's time to make mini pizzas for lunch!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

SheCan: The HM is February 16, so I still have a few weeks. Hopefully this knee will just be a minor setback.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today, as I ran 3 days in a row over the holiday weekend.   A 5K on Saturday (report is around the front page somewhere), an easy 3.2 miles or so on Sunday, and then on Monday I got a bit nutso cuz the day was so nice -  63 degrees, sunny, and low humidity when I ran at 10 a.m.  - and because Gail kicked me out of the house, lol, and told me not to come home for a while to give her time to clean house uninterrupted.  So I went to Lackland Air Force Base and did  4.5 miles and ran 4 of the 5 pedestrian overpass ramps; and then I did a full-body weight training circuit after I got back to the gym. My legs and upper body are telling me about it today!  So rest day today and then back at it tomorrow.  Nice easy runs this week as I have TWO 5Ks this weekend, one in the a.m. on Saturday, and one in the P.M. on Saturday.

Nice to have an extra day off, Gustav!  Hope your equipment worked well for you.  I think we will maybe get a morning off toward the end of the week.  We are supposed to be getting some freezing rain and, BELIEVE ME, you do not wan San Antonio drivers out on the road in that, we are terrible bad-weather drivers!  So when that freezing rain does happen, the city usually just shuts everything down, lol, until the temps are above freezing again.

Yay for progress, Awood!

Be careful, PAD.  That darn elliptical always attacks me when I get on it, making me fall off! 

30  Celcius as cooler weather, yer funny, Bin!

Stay safe and warm in all that cold stuff, Kristin!  Heck, if you get that much snow, you could just put on a diver wetsuit and go out and 'swim' in the snow!

Good luck, HsM, with the breadmaking and the weather!

Sorry you are not feeling well, Damaris.

Slow or not, at least you are running again, Jimmy!

Dang, Jerry, bad weather for you too?  Doesn't lifting snow in your shovel count as lifting weights?

Nice, Mitch!  Wow, Arkansas sure has 'grown up' since I lived there in the late 70s, early 80s!

Wishing you a safe 8 miles in the dark, Jack!

Congrats on your 10 miler, SO42!

And did the easy 5 help with the stiffness, Cherie?  If not...sore muscles love biofreeze.

AFM:  20 degrees and blowing snow.  The forecast is 4-8 inches but we only have about 2 on the ground so far.  That is 2 inches too much, Ginny, far as I'm concerned! Snow...ugg.  Glad Ben is having fun in it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dad on the run.

Jack K - I either do on demand, which is damn expensive. 4.99 for 24 hour rental is insane! If I'm not feeling incredibly lazy I will get up and go to redbox, its really not that bad. I've thought about starting Netflix back up but it's got kinda expensive as well Sad Redbox really is the best option as far as prices go.

I want some snow Sad It never snows in Bama and when it does were lucky to get an inch that just melts by the end of the day. Call me crazy but I want a repeat of 93'.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The great city of New York has done a bang up job salting and plowing the roads. NOT. Lucky I made it home alive. Not leaving my apartment the rest of the day. So bad out!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

SheCan: The HM is February 16, so I still have a few weeks. Hopefully this knee will just be a minor setback.

Hopefully!   You have time to pull back a bit and then build up again a bit.

Jack-- Red box is so easy, cheap (they even email you special offers) and convenient.  We always did Block Buster until DH got fed up with them and their fees one day, and started using redbox ever since.  There's one at all our major stops.

Scotty-- nice weekend it sounds like!  My legs do seem to be a lot less stiff, and I'd forgotten I DO have some biofreeze under my bathroom sink.  I need to use that stuff more often.  It's pretty darned marvelous.

I want some snow Sad It never snows in Bama and when it does were lucky to get an inch that just melts by the end of the day. Call me crazy but I want a repeat of 93'.

You are crazy!  LOL, I always feel so lucky that we barely have to deal with snow and ice and all that cold.  Did you always live in Alabama, Jimmy?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Jimmy - I'm with you.  I enjoy the snow.  Having grown up in the south and southwest, where we rarely saw the white stuff, every time it snows I feel like a kid.  I love sitting by a window and watching it fall.  I really like walking in it.  I even enjoy shoveling it, as long as it isn't too wet and heavy (or icy).  OTOH, I don't want to run in it, because I can't see well when the snow is in my eyes and I assume the drivers on the roads can see even less and because I worry too much about falling on ice underneath. Which is why I just did 6 on the TM.

Gustav - that's fast falling snow.  Good for you doing 10 miles in those conditions.

Kristin - did they let you out early?  Do you drive to work or take public transport?

Scotty - you definitely earned a rest day.  Hope the ice storm doesn't materialize.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ginny they did NOT let us out early! They wouldn't even grant a single person permission to leave early. There was about 4" when we left . I drove home. S L O W L Y.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to