Beginners and Beyond

Post about nothing (Read 316 times)

Walk-Jogger

are you kidding me? You think that's what i did? Hell, if i did that, all my posts would be about nothing.

Alright, I got here late and apparently missed the sermon. And since I'm old and feeble of mind, you need to spell this out for me; did you delete your first post, or was it deleted by some jackboot wearing thug?

Either way, it's a somewhat entertaining thread so far, which I needed to help me get over feeling nauseous after seeing a photo of some gawd-awful looking sweets earlier today.

Retired &  Loving It

Luke79

a man lies in his bed in a room with no door
      he waits hoping for a presence, something, anything to enter
      after spending half his life searching, he still felt as blank
      as the ceiling at which he's staring
      he's alive, but feels absolutely nothing
      so, is he?
      when he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him
      by nine he had deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact
      no tradebacks...
      so this is what it's like to be an adult
      if he only knew now what he knew then...

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

Don't believe everything you think. 

delicate flower

+1

<3

MrNamtor

You guys are all wonderful. You know you've help make this thread magical. Even I am puzzled by it now.

The post was a perfectly good post, true in its content, and actually beneficial to those who would read it and take it in for what it was. Or part of what it was.

Part of what it was, was my sincere beliefs about the real importance of our diet to our health, and our attitude towards food as athletes. That part of it was goodness.

The other part of it, was me being a jackass. I am often a jackass, and any time I become aware that I am or have been a jackass,  i don't feel good about it.

In art, there is something known as "pentimento" which i think in Italian means something you repent or change your mind about. Its when a painter paints over something he/she painted because of a change of mind.  But the traces of the original element remain slightly visible on the surface.

And that's what this thread is, All your comments which allude to the original post which is no longer here, have created this pentimento.

MrNamtor

a man lies in his bed in a room with no door
              he waits hoping for a presence, something, anything to enter
              after spending half his life searching, he still felt as blank
              as the ceiling at which he's staring
              he's alive, but feels absolutely nothing
              so, is he?
              when he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him
              by nine he had deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact
              no tradebacks...
              so this is what it's like to be an adult
              if he only knew now what he knew then...

this is awesome.

MrNamtor

It's hard when you know your eating habits are clean enough to get by to be motivated to do better. I guess that's kinda your point though.

Yes, and what was your original reaction to the post? That i must not have worked out that much and I must have been pretty overweight, right? That translates into if I DID work out a lot and I wasn't  pretty overweight I wouldn't have suffered health consequences. And THAT belief, my friend, is the crux of the problem.

The fact that i was able to reverse the T2D by losing 30 lbs that I carried well and didn't even make me a fat guy shows that if i had not been 30 lbs overweight, i probably would not have T2D in the first place. Pretty sobering to think that being athletic, and just a bit overweight because of eating bad foods is putting you at risk for a life threatening/shortening disease.

Better I Leave

I try to tell folks that diet is more important than exercise. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, exercise is a vital component to a healthy lifestyle, but diet is crucial.

I'm a former bodybuilder and you know what those "specimens of physical perfection" focused/obsessed on mostly? Diet. Lifting is easy...diet is not in many instances. Bodybuilders knew 20 years ago about how bad fructose is...Now research is showing that fructose is more likely to be deposited as fat than any other sugar molecule.

Luke79

this is awesome.

Hey Mr.  That's not mine, it's Eddie Vedder's.  Ironically, he's from Chicago.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Yes, and what was your original reaction to the post? That i must not have worked out that much and I must have been pretty overweight, right? That translates into if I DID work out a lot and I wasn't  pretty overweight I wouldn't have suffered health consequences. And THAT belief, my friend, is the crux of the problem.

The fact that i was able to reverse the T2D by losing 30 lbs that I carried well and didn't even make me a fat guy shows that if i had not been 30 lbs overweight, i probably would not have T2D in the first place. Pretty sobering to think that being athletic, and just a bit overweight because of eating bad foods is putting you at risk for a life threatening/shortening disease.

I think my initial reaction was to be hung up on 3 packs a day lol. I do think you might be misrepresenting how overweight you were though. I consider 10lbs just a bit overweight, not 30lbs. I mean I know it's a different discussion, but the BMI for most people that weigh over 200lbs and aren't crazy tall is in the overweight category.

Again, you put the work in to get your troubles under control, so I commend you on that. I just wonder to what extent clean eating is a necessity when one is active and not overweight. Obviously good habits are important to develop, but I don't know how many other dangers there are. It's almost as though your point was really that one needs to be sure he isn't overweight, despite high activity levels, so that further health problems don't ensue.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

notimeforthat

I try to tell folks that diet is more important than exercise. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, exercise is a vital component to a healthy lifestyle, but diet is crucial.

I'm a former bodybuilder and you know what those "specimens of physical perfection" focused/obsessed on mostly? Diet. Lifting is easy...diet is not in many instances. Bodybuilders knew 20 years ago about how bad fructose is...Now research is showing that fructose is more likely to be deposited as fat than any other sugar molecule.

Fructose will not be deposited as fat. It is metabolized differently than sucrose and glucose and can mess with triglycerides if used in large quantities. Semantics.

Research currently is leaning towards the fact that dietary cholesterol intake doesn't impact blood cholesterol levels nearly what we thought they did. Exercise will change the ratios, but eggs and other sources of cholesterol do not seem to affect people in the way it was once thought. Cholesterol production is a known hereditary risk factor for coronary artery disease and exercise can aid in lowering it, just as a lower fat diet can IN SOME PEOPLE. Not shouting, bolding for effect.

I know many fit people that are thin that eat well and varied diets of fruits, veggies, lean protein that still end up on statin therapy.

Vegan diets seem to help some, but adherence is a big problem for most people.

I eat what I want for the most part, but I also workout up to 10 hours a week doing intense interval training on bikes, running and in a pool. Will I always get to eat 2500 cal a day? Probably not, but at 39 (40 in July), I am more fit and healthy than I ever thought about being at 25.

Diet is important, but so is stress reduction, lowering blood pressure, healthy body fat composition (insert diet and exercise lecture here) and living in balance. There are many cogs in that wheel.

Better I Leave

Fructose will not be deposited as fat. It is metabolized differently than sucrose and glucose and can mess with triglycerides if used in large quantities. Semantics.

I know many fit people that are thin that eat well and varied diets of fruits, veggies, lean protein that still end up on statin therapy.

I eat what I want for the most part, but I also workout up to 10 hours a week doing intense interval training on bikes, running and in a pool. Will I always get to eat 2500 cal a day? Probably not, but at 39 (40 in July), I am more fit and healthy than I ever thought about being at 25.

Diet is important, but so is stress reduction, lowering blood pressure, healthy body fat composition (insert diet and exercise lecture here) and living in balance. There are many cogs in that wheel.

Semantics, yes. But I have eliminated fructose almost entirely from my diet and it has helped me get off statins. I was on my way to becoming lisinopril, niacin, and insulin dependent for the remainder of my days.

No fructose, minimal saturated fats, minimal wheat products and at 52 (53 in less than 2 months), I am in better health than many half my age and I just got my bodyfat hydrostically tested and came in at 13.5%...In one year I plan on hitting 10% or lower.

I'm totally with you on the diet issue...and stress? Definitely...Balance? Without a doubt.

notimeforthat

Just be careful with the lower body fat %. It can be an issue when looking at illness and immune system function. People with BF % <10 don't have much in the way of reserve and can struggle if they become sick. (Ask my husband about fighting pneumonia when he was at 12%...it got ugly.)

Bone density can take a hit but typically not in the folks that do weight bearing exercise because they build good matrices. That, and you are not the candidate that ends up with osteopenia and osteoporosis. I will be though. Female, tall, thin and small/medium framed means that I am a time bomb for all of that, add to it that my grandfather died at 47 with an MI, my Dad had his MI at 62 and has 3 stents with familial high cholesterol and TG's.

So far my numbers seem to mimic my mom's and her Dad is 101 and showing minimal signs of stopping. I guess I will end up in a casket from some maniac driver running me down on my bike.

Better I Leave

Just be careful with the lower body fat %. It can be an issue when looking at illness and immune system function. People with BF % <10 don't have much in the way of reserve and can struggle if they become sick. (Ask my husband about fighting pneumonia when he was at 12%...it got ugly.)

Well, it's a goal I'd like to get to, but I honestly don't know if it's realistic. Furthermore (as I take another sip of a nice 2008 Pinot Noir), I'm not sure if I wanna go "full on Nazi" over my diet...cuz that's what it'd take for me, ya know? I eat clean, but I do have my "indulgences" that I like to reward myself with after a "run well done" from time to time.

I'll be honest...After struggling with my weight ALL MY LIFE, at this point I'm seeing a "six pack" on me and I want to see if I can get "shredded". Yep...vanity. I'll say it.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

whattafukcyalltalkinbout?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013