Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: The Biggest Loser 5K and 10K (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

This was my 73rd race of 2014 and my 3rd 5K of 4 5Ks scheduled for the weekend of Dec 12 - 13, 2014.    The races, associated with "The Biggest Loser" TV show,  are part of a series of races that go to various cities around the US.  The Biggest Loser 5K and 10K in San Antonio was held at Six Flags Fiesta Texas on Sunday morning at 7:30 a.m.  Quite a nice turnout for this one.  I did the 5K and ended up first in my age group (60 - 64) with a time of 33:29.  I thought this was funny, because the times for my three 5Ks done so far were 32:27 for my Saturday morning 5K, 33:21 for my Saturday night 5K, and now 33:29 for this one...I guess my legs were gradually getting tired with each event.  Also, for this third event, Mother Nature was not so cooperative with the humidity and dewpoint...99 percent humidity, as storms are moving into our area today - it did stay dry for the race, thank goodness - and dewpoint in the upper 60s, temp around 63 degrees at start time.   Lots of sweatin' going on out there for this race!

BEFORE THE START

Prompt 7:30 a.m. start time for the race, so when I arrived at Six Flags, it was around 6:55 am. and still dark.   I could just make out some 'blurry' lights (ok, my photo is a bit blurry, not the lights ) on some of the rides in the park.

Then wandered around getting a few 'before' photos of participants, volunteers, etc.

This guy is wearing the race shirt that all participants got

These two were our MC's for the event....did a great job.

Getting ready to start...people in front of me and behind me.....

These ladies were near me in the start crowd...the backs of their shirt gave me a laugh....

Old Glory blowing in the breeze as the National Anthem is sung...24 years military service for me and this gets me every time..

ON THE COURSE

We started by making a kind of loop around the huge Six Flags parking lot and then went into the park, making a loop through there, coming back to where we went in, and then it was more parking lot to the finish.  It was actually a pretty well-thought-out and well-laid out course, giving us nice views of the inside of the park and of the roller coaster as we approached the park.   The folks doing the 10K did two loops of the course.

Nice views of surrounding hills

Approaching the entrance we used to access the park

A few of the great volunteers out there at a point right before the park entrance

Down this 'alley' and into the park....and a blurry photo of my friend, Juanita..she was just moving too darn fast!

Heading back toward the 'alley' where we came into the park

Now back on the parking lot heading for the finish...we had to do an 'out-and-back" part of the course here...

...and they put a small hill near the end..how rude!

AFTER THE FINISH

After I was done I stood near the finish area waiting for my pal and one of my "running crushes" Karen to come in and while waiting got some photos of some other folks finishing.

My friend Neal coming in..

And Karen coming in (green shirt)

Everyone got a 'finisher medal"...Karen and me with our medals...

My friend Juanita (left) with her friend

Live music playing for all of us

Karen wanted a photo with the Biggest Loser backdrop, so I did that, and then got a few of some other folks at the backdrop.

I wandered over to the VIP area and there was quite a spread of food there, so I got some photos of that..nice goodies!

The lady who took care of the VIP arrangements and food came over and chatted with me.  Very nice lady, Tammy.   Got a photo of her...

and when she found out I was doing a photo report of the event, she kindly gave me and a friend access to the VIP area, so I found Juanita and we got to enjoy the food and I took closeups of some of the great food Tammy had arranged for this event.

mmm..cookies!  I love cookies!

And, of course, wandered around getting the "Happy Finishers" et al photos....

Photo bomb!

During the 5K I ran behind a couple of ladies from this group and they were preserving it very well...helping motivate my "old man legs"  to CHASE! and keep moving forward...  

Close-up of the race shirt and the finisher medal..

And the medal rotates on its axis inside the round frame....nice...

EPILOG

A very nice and fun event!  Well organized, really nice and unique course, some very nice post-race goodies, quality tee shirt.  And, of course, MUCHO thanks to  all the GREAT people out there today, participants, volunteers, etc, all the folks who make this event happen!  And for those out there today who are members of the Biggest Loser club/program and were out there today, kudos and congrats to every one of you on your success!  I would definitely do this event again, and would recommend it to my fellow runners.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Six flags looks like a nice place to run.  Kinda like the Disney races ;-)  Congrats on race #3 of the weekend and getting an AG win, despite tired legs.