Beginners and Beyond

Do you do running drills? Have you noticed significant benefits? (Read 93 times)

Dad on the run.

Anyone on here that does running specific drills / exercises? I have been watching a ton of youtube videos on different drills to help make you a more effecient runner. Videos from The natural running center, to Bobby McGee. But the biggest thing I'm having a hard time with is they don't seem to explain how ofter you should do these drills or the duration you should do them.

If you do them could you explain to me how often and how many reps you do of each drill?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

LRB

I planned on incorporating some this year but it is tough enough just getting my runs and training in, so I will have to scrap that idea until the off season.

Having said that, my running has improved with a steady in yo face diet of speed work, rolling hills and easy running.

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

Drills can help with a few facets of running.

1.)  Stretching.  Easy drills can be used at the beginning of a workout to aid with warming up.

2.)  Agility.  You're working different muscle groups which aids in strengthening.  This should help with less injuries.

3.)  Form.  Form is typically the primary reason for running drills.

4.)  Speed.  Speed can be generated from drills, but it's pretty much a result of the other three reasons listed.

Something witty

Dad on the run.

So just do a few drills before a run? How long should a drill session last though? Are we talking just a few minutes per drill, how many different drills would be good to do before a run?

1.)  Stretching.  Easy drills can be used at the beginning of a workout to aid with warming up.

2.)  Agility.  You're working different muscle groups which aids in strengthening.  This should help with less injuries.

4.)  Speed.  Speed can be generated from drills, but it's pretty much a result of the other three reasons listed.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I know one very fast runner on my team who always does some skipping, high knees, and tuck jumps after his jogging warmup but before speedwork.  It seems to work out for him.  He only does 3 sets of 10 of each and works it into the running workout. I don't think you need to dedicate a day to plyos or anything, if you don't want.

Running up stairs is a good 'drill'!

(I obviously do drills, but I'm training for the 400 this season, so it's kind of different from what most runners here do.  I do stuff like resisted sprints, box jumps, long jumps, skipping, jump lunges, jump squats).

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

B-Plus

Looking at my last race photos, I should do some exaggerated arm swings.

Since you're at the track every week, that would be a good time to add some drills in.

Sorry, I didn't answer the question.

Love the Half

I do drills after a couple of runs each week.  Do they make a difference?  No idea.  What I do know is that if I do them after a hard workout, my legs feel much, much better than if I just jog for a bit.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Goorun

+1

and thekl0wn is here, so +2

Slow and steady never wins anything.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I know one very fast runner on my team who always does some skipping, high knees, and tuck jumps after his jogging warmup but before speedwork.  It seems to work out for him.  He only does 3 sets of 10 of each and works it into the running workout. I don't think you need to dedicate a day to plyos or anything, if you don't want.

Running up stairs is a good 'drill'!

(I obviously do drills, but I'm training for the 400 this season, so it's kind of different from what most runners here do.  I do stuff like resisted sprints, box jumps, long jumps, skipping, jump lunges, jump squats).

I skip during my race warmup routine! Sometimes I feel kinda stupid, but I don't care. I also do heel walks, toe walks, high knees, and a drill that I can best describe as a version of the "running man" dance.

My RP and I also do these before a speed workout.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54