Beginners and Beyond

July 4th Holiday Race #1 - Firecracker 5K in San Marcos (Read 34 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Started my 4th of July holiday by doing the Firecracker 5K in San Marcos TX - about an hour's drive from San Antonio.  Held at 7:30 PM on July 3rd in a pretty little park called 5-Mile Dam Park.  My 38th race of 2013.  It was fairly warm, at 92 degrees, but the dewpoint was low and the humidity was low, so it felt okay.  108 walkers and runners.   I ended up with a finish time of 34:47.  The Age Groups were 10-year age groups (20-29, 30-39, and so on) and there were 9 in my age group, some very speedy with the first guy in my AG coming in at 21:55.  I came in 6th in my age group an 75th overall.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

5-Mile Dam park is a relatively newly opened park with the Blanco River running through it.  There is a cement walkway dam that goes across part of the river, with public swimming on either side of the dam.  However, with the drought and lack of rain Texas has been having, the water level of the river is pretty low.

BEFORE THE RACE

I arrived about 45 minutes before start time and got some pre-start photos.

Registration area, with pavilion, playground area, large soccer field area

Me near the soccer field area

Participants, volunteers, and supporters

Even with all the fur this doggie was wearing on this hot day, he still beat me to the finish.  Joking

ON THE COURSE

As seen from the photo above, we lined up for the start, Blanco River on our left.  Ran down a park road parallel to the river, then did a loop in a neighborhood adjacent to the park, then back into the park and to the finish. Very flat course and the overall winner finished in 17:16.  For a slow guy like me, getting to the turn-around point mentally felt like it took FOREVER.  I found out later the turn around point was actually past the halfway point, it was at the 1 and 3/4 mile mark.  Whew, so I wasn't crazy when I was out there in thinking the turn-around point was farther than halfway. Joking

Into the adjacent neighborhood for an out-and-back...lots of cement in here...made it feel a tad warmer, all that sun on the cement.

People on the other side of the road who already made the turn-around and are heading back to the park

People coming up behind me

After that, I ran non-stop the last 1.2 miles to the finish.  I thought we would go straight back into the park when we got to where a police officer was doing traffic control in front of the park entrance.  But no, we actually turned left at the officer, and made a little loop around and came back into the park a different way.  That threw me off mentally a bit and I slowed a tad going around the bend - well, actually I 'went around the bend" a long time ago! Wink - realized I had farther to go to the finish than I had originally thought.  Oh well.   Once back in the park, a very nice straight path to the finish, and pretty too, with the river to our left.

AFTER THE RACE

A bit of a cool-down walk, got something to drink, and then got the "Happy Finisher" photos of finishers, supporters, and volunteers.

A running family...and they ALL beat me in to the finish, lol.

Trophies given to the AG winners

Some of the AG winners...#659 is popular,  he knew everybody!

EPILOGUE

A very nice event held at a new venue, which was a nice change.  In the past this event has been held in San Marcos at a place called "River Ridge Business Park."   Well, there is no river view, and there is no ridge - the highest elevation at River Ridge is 15 inches - and it is one of the MOST boring 5K routes ever, as you do loops around the business park roads, and there is a large clock tower you get to see FOUR times during any 5K.   The 5-Mile Dam park is such a nicer venue, with the one big "loop" course, and it was so nice not having to see that darn clock tower 4 times! Big grin  The only change I would suggest is to push the finish line a bit farther back from where it was this year, and then let all the runners come straight back into the park at the front entrance after doing the neighborhood, instead of doing the curve-around thing, I think the runners would appreciate a more 'straight back to the finish route", especially mentally.   But maybe that's just me.   Anyway, very nicely organized event, good course, lots of friendly folks, nice trophies, and a really nice venue this year.  Especially as it's close to the river, gives you the option of 'going for a dip" after you finish, to cool off.  Wink   I do this 5K just about every year and this one will continue to be on my race calendar in the future.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

Looks like it was a nice day for a race!  Yeah, I can see that being better than loops around a business park!  But out and back routes, especially ones with a long straight away like that always gets me mentally.... all I keep thinking is WHERE is the turn around??  lol

LRB

90 degrees isn't too bad with low humidity and dew point 'eh?  Weren't you selling lakefront property in Downtown Manhattan before lol!

Looks like a nice park to be new, have you ever raced topless like a lot of the guys in your reports do?

SheCan

Congrats on another race, Mr. Scotty!   I can't help but think what great people runners are when I look at your reports.  So much for Texans being fatties!  Those winged shoe trophies are super cute.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Awesome RR, as usual.  Glad the venue changed for the better.  Loved the description of the old venue.....no bridge, no park and 15" total elevation.

Wink

Randy

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good stuff there Mr. Racer!  I bet the local people don't even consider it an event until you show up.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

90 degrees isn't too bad with low humidity and dew point 'eh?  Weren't you selling lakefront property in Downtown Manhattan before lol!

Looks like a nice park to be new, have you ever raced topless like a lot of the guys in your reports do?

Are you kidding?  With all my 'old man fat" my bouncing Moobs would give me a black eye if I ran shirtless!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Awesome RR!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks for sharing....great pics as always. 92 degrees?!?! UGH I couldn't have done it!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Did anyone jump in the river afterwards?  I'm sure it would be tempting, even with the low water.

Nice RR as usual.  It sounds like a lovely course.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks for reminding me why I don't have another race on my schedule until September...lol  You're tougher than I am.  I am looking at one in a couple of weeks, but I'm waiting to see how the weather shakes out.  I'm no Scottydawg.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Nice job man. Great report as usual.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Those trophies are neat.  Loved the husky, too.

Zelanie

Hehe, I remember that "clock tower" course from last year- this one does look SO much nicer!  Although having the turnaround past halfway and having that little extra loop at the end both seem a little bit mean as far as the mental game goes.

That play structure looks fun too!