Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins get out at night (Read 22 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

National Night Out!

Falling down is how we grow. Staying down is how we die." - Brian Vaszily

PADRunner

It's National Night out tonight except in Texas. Due to the heat we move it to October.

RD for me today. I have a bone density scan this morning, see if all this running is building any bone.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 miles and a PiYo workout tonight.

PAD, enjoy the rest.  Good luck with the scan.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Another day in Texas, another 97 degree high.  So once more into the breach, I was up at 5 a.m. and off to the university campus.  Nice run/walk this morning.  Did one of my hill routes, ended up with 4 miles, felt really strong all the way.  Morning temp was 73 degrees already at 5:30 a.m., but the dew-point was sweeeet....under 68.....and the humidity was only about 60-something percent, nice!

Good luck with the scan, PAD.  Yeah, I have to get those too, they check up on my bone degeneration and my arthritis.  Love that injection they give you before the procedures, gives you that 'warm fuzzy feeling', lol.   Gail tells me to imagine that 'warm flush' intensified by about 50 and that's what her menopausal hot flashes felt like.  Umm, no thanks.

Happy 5 miles, Damaris, and afterwards enjoy the pie, yo! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

73F at 5am?  I am jealous!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Scotty - We've had another strange summer this year. One of the problems with morning runs, even on an RD you wake up!

Must be a different test, I don't get an injection just lay on the table for an x-ray type thing.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  This is my ... not sure what you'd call it.  Anyway, it's my last day of work before a week's vacation!  No fun destinations this time, I am going to stay at home and chill, and I am SOOOO looking forward to it!!  My folks are coming to visit Thursday through Saturday, and we're going to Williamsburg on Friday (so I guess there's a fun destination after all).  So I'll be cleaning house, watching Netflix, helping DH cook (maybe), sitting in the sun, sleeping late, and generally not thinking about work and schedules and investigators and stuff.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!!

PAD -- quartet will be a night out for me, since I won't get home until about 10:45.  Though that's just a normal night for many folks!  Hope the scan shows good things!!

Docket -- enjoy your 5 and PiYo!!  Are you less sore today?

scotty -- your running is so strong lately, woo-hoo for you!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty - We've had another strange summer this year. One of the problems with morning runs, even on an RD you wake up!

Must be a different test, I don't get an injection just lay on the table for an x-ray type thing.

I get put in this 'pod' thing - kinda like you see on space shows, lol - and then they turn me  horizontal and then this machine-thingy passes over the full-length of my body, scanning my whole "skeleton."  They do front and back.  The injection they give me is to 'light me up' to help them see the results better.   Fun stuff.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning, Penguins!!  This is my ... not sure what you'd call it.  Anyway, it's my last day of work before a week's vacation!  No fun destinations this time, I am going to stay at home and chill, and I am SOOOO looking forward to it!!  My folks are coming to visit Thursday through Saturday, and we're going to Williamsburg on Friday (so I guess there's a fun destination after all).  So I'll be cleaning house, watching Netflix, helping DH cook (maybe), sitting in the sun, sleeping late, and generally not thinking about work and schedules and investigators and stuff.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!!

PAD -- quartet will be a night out for me, since I won't get home until about 10:45.  Though that's just a normal night for many folks!  Hope the scan shows good things!!

Docket -- enjoy your 5 and PiYo!!  Are you less sore today?

scotty -- your running is so strong lately, woo-hoo for you!!

Williamsburg!  Love that place!  Growing up, my family would go there at least once every summer.   Have fun!   Enjoy the vacation time and getting to sleep in.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

PAD

Group training today at Wimbledon 5:30 if you can make it.  Hope you can (just got notice)

Zelanie

Hey guys!  I just ran the last "speed" workout of my Hansons plan.  It was 3 x 1 mile at about my 5K pace- yikes!  As with most of my speed workouts, I went into it not knowing if I would be able to do the whole thing, but I got it done!  Next week, I start the "strength" part of the plan.  There are more intervals, or longer intervals, but much, much slower. Smile  No more 5K-paced runs until after my marathon.

PAD- Hope for good news from your test.

D- Hiya again!  Good luck in your new position, by the way.

Scotty- Nice job in the hills!

HsM- Woohoo, enjoy the vacation!

Sly- Welcome to the igloo.  Want some cocoa?

Docket_Rocket

Oh, it's not a new position. It's an EXTRA position.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Oh, it's not a new position. It's an EXTRA position.

Ugh.  Well I'm sure you get enough extra accolades and money to cover the added work, right?

Docket_Rocket

Ugh.  Well I'm sure you get enough extra accolades and money to cover the added work, right?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Only if we send her extra cash and cheering e-cards!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.