Beginners and Beyond

Monday Morning, nearly Ready Penguins (Read 34 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Good morning all.  It's a gorgeous Monday morning here and, as a matter of fact , my coffee just finished up.

No plans on the agenda today other than work and home.  I feel a bit better today so I may venture out for a short run.

Take care and have a great day.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Morning!  It's been a pretty busy weekend.  Next weekend is going to be worse, but it is what it is.  I was going to get back to morning running today, but it's 35 now and will be 68 after work.  I'll get back to morning running when the mornings are over 40 degrees.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Morning all,

I took today off of work after my 1/2 yesterday! It seems like it was a good idea, my feet and thighs are very sore!! Is this normal? How long will I feel the effects of my race, I enjoneed the race, but I need ibuprofen now!!! Have a good Monday!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristi - I've done to HM's, and both times I've been a little sore for a couple of days.  You'll want to take it easy, but walk it out if you can.  If you go right back into running you might notice a few things feel a bit wonky.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Kristi,  congrats on your 1st HM.. You took off today to complete that RR, right? hee

Running an undetermined distance with colleagues (and boss).. Spent a few hrs in the morning on car repair.. but must say that they are pretty efficient.. I was prepared to wait a little longer.. so happy with that..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

10K done on Saturday along part of the San Antonio Riverwalk -  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/389c9790482c41fbaf0914d250fdd66b/resume#focus - followed by easy recovery run of 5K distance on Sunday morning at Fort Sam Houston, and then after that run I did a full-body weight training circuit.  My legs are a tad sore today, so today is a rest day.

Thanks for starting us off, Vance!  Glad you are feeling better!  Nice day in San Antonio too.  62 degrees right now, high of only 82 today.

Sorry about the chilly weather, Awood.  Hope Mother Nature allows Spring to get you to you soon!

Enjoy your day off, Kristi, and relax those legs.  Get some peppermint lotion and massage it in, really helps the legs, feet, etc, feel lots better!  Also, what Awood said.

Enjoy your run later, Bin!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning. SRD for me.

Kristi nice to see you back with the Penguins! Glad you have kept running and that you did so well on your half! Can't wait for the RR!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Awood - I hear ya. Seems like we hardly have time to breath sometimes. Kids in sports, after school activities, and such. 40's mornings? Soon for us I hope.

Kristi - Sounds like a great plan. It was a week ago Saturday I ran my 25+k race. 4 or 5 days later of an easier run and general rest/stretching I was good to do. Ibuprofin - I don't take it anymore. I've read enough articles to feel that NSAIDs are terrible for runners.  Summed up:  They suppress the natural healing process and have been linked to poor healing after injury; especially, in bone to bone and bone to tendon injuries.  Anyway, I quit taking them last November and honestly think it has made a difference.  I've had an on/off again issue with the adult version of Osgood-Schlatter (big and generally painful lump at the dip of the shinbone where it meets the knee - the top of the tendon partially separates from the patella, etc).  After stopping the ibuprofen and managing with acetaminophen it seemed to improved faster.  I don't even think about it now.  Was it just a natural process of time and healing or actually moving away from an NSAID?  I'm convinced not taking the NSAIDs helped.

My 2 cents!  Smile

Scotty - it is supposed to almost reach 60 here today!  Can't wait.

Bin - BOOO to car repairs.  Evil money pits those vehicles.  LOL

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

Off to find Kristi's RR.....

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Monday !!!

Welcome to the elite HM Club, Kristi.

Looks like its going to be a slow week after a slow weekend.   Running may be slow to as Fankle is a little sore after/during yesterday's LR.  Exactly like the HM.

Have a great week...

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 5 miles this morning.  Weights tonight.

Off to get my allergy shot and then work.

Great job to our racing penguins this last weekend!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning colony!

Have another memorial run this evening, 2.62 miles.  This is the one that I think most LRS' are participating in where you can buy a "Runners For Boston" shirt for $20 and all of the proceeds go to OneFundBoston.  Gonna try to get some more miles in this afternoon if I can.

Kristi, sounds pretty normal for your first effort, my first one wiped me out pretty good.  I like to do a very, very easy, short recovery run after a race, gets more blood pumping to the muscles which helps.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Nearly ready?  For what?  I'm nearly ready to wake up and start getting some work done ... but not quite!  W2D1 of our walk program didn't get done this morning due to freezing temps and sleepiness, so we'll do it this evening.  It's a 15-minute walk, so no biggie.  FWIW, I just posted a beer week with 3.9 miles!  You just have to laugh ...

N-Bug -- have a great day!!

Awood -- my thoughts exactly!!  I'll go out in the morning when it's not ridiculously cold!!

Kristi -- hope your soreness fades, and woo-hoo for your race and today off!!  You might want to get some arnica gel, it's good for sore muscles!

Bin -- enjoy your undetermined run!!

Scotty -- enjoy your RD, and woo-hoo for your 10k!!

kristin -- have a good SRD!!

Phillie -- good morning!!

Jerryb -- enjoy your slow week!!

Docket -- woo-hoo for your 5!!

D2 -- the memorial run sounds really nice!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.