Beginners and Beyond

2013 in review - highlights, NRR and RR (Read 77 times)

Hip Redux

Thought it might be interesting to see what everyone's highlights were from 2013.  Either running or not running related.  Smile  Bonus points for photos of your highlights!  

What was good for you in 2013?

bluerun

Super B****

I DIDN'T GET A SINGLE FRACTURE!!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

I DIDN'T GET A SINGLE FRACTURE!!

And for that you get a dancing banana!  

Nevrgivup

I ran a hilly HM. It was my first since having back surgery in 2010.

I would've run 2 HM this year, but I DNF one at mile 8.5 due to anxiety. I blame this on the crowds and my experience at Boston. Oh well. I conquered a month after.

I also passed all semesters of my NP program and have just one semester to go!

HOW CAN I FORGET THIS ONE. I was paired up to run for the most amazing girl named Tia through an organization called IRUN4MICHAEL. It has changed my life and I LOVE her. <3

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

delicate flower

My year was pretty much defined by my injury.

I went from this:

To this, knocking 10:09 off my HM PR.  Getting below 1:35 in the HM was one of my 2013 goal prior to my injury, so getting there even after my surgery was more than I could have possibly hoped for.

We lost our first dog to cancer, too.  I am still not over that and I miss my pup dearly.  I am grateful for the eight years we had her though.

<3

Nevrgivup

Love that photo Phil. You are amazing and have worked really hard to reach your goals. You have a nice wife too. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

onemile

Most impressive Baboon.

I managed to stay injury free and shave about 9 mins off my half marathon PR and almost an hour off my marathon time. (okay, so I hadn't run one since 2010).

No more marathons

Running related - DS and I both got our Boston acceptance.

Non running related - DD announced the arrival next June of grandchild #4 (what????).

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

happylily

Running related - DS and I both got our Boston acceptance.

Non running related - DD announced the arrival next June of grandchild #4 (what????).

Awesome on both counts! Congratulations! My first will arrive in February, maybe on Valentines Day?! They say she will be an Esme, but I want an Hannah. Why not Hannah-Esme? :-) Whatever I get, she will be mine and I will love her. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Woohoo! Pics of Phil! (the drugged up one with a hospital cap on has become a forum classic. )

In 2013, I ran Boston. It was fantastic, it was disturbing and it was inspiring all in one. It was so many things to me... I was there with my SIL, our first trip together, and I realized that she is more than a SIL for me, she's also a best friend. Also, I ran the race with another runner, someone I now consider a true running friend. It was very unlike me to do something like this and it made me understand that I should never be afraid to try new things in my life.

Two weeks after Boston, I registered for a HM on impulse, and I ran it on instinct only, with no expectation and just as an experiment. I finished with a big PR and I was overjoyed. I couldn't believe my luck.

Then I got injured, could not run at all and vowed not to let the fact that I was unable to run ruin my life. Yes, I did my fair share of whining, and had my moments of anxiety, and I spent way too much money on trying to find a way to heal. But overall, I enjoyed a nice summer and remained hopeful that I would be able to get back to running eventually. Eight weeks later, I ran my first post-injury run, a 5 miler. It was painful (due to loss of fitness and the damn summer heat), but I savoured every minute of this run. You don't truly appreciate what you have until you momentarily lose it. It was an eye opener for me. I learned that I can live without running in my life, but boy am I happy to be able to run! 

I ran 4 marathons in 2013. All were different, some I ran better than others, but I loved them all and I wouldn't change anything. I had 6 races total for the year. For 4 of them, I traveled with my SO (Bermuda, Jamaica, Ottawa and Cornwall). Spending time with him, having him support me the way he does on a constant basis, I can't put into words what it means for me. Through my racing, I realize I am living a good life by his side. This year, I have come to understand that I am living my happiest years, even though I am rapidly aging (or so it seems). I am so darn lucky. And my finish times have nothing to do with this.

This was 2013 for me. The year started weird, it was shaky at times, but overall, it was a significant year for me. In 2014, I want to focus on my sister who will need me by her side, and also on my new soon to arrive granddaughter! (okay, maybe on one tiny marathon PR too. )

Hip Redux

These are all great!

OK, I guess I'll answer my own question Smile

Not many RR ones, but a few highlights -

• the Sandy Hook 5k.    It was sort of a cluster, race wise, but there were SO MANY people paying tribute, it was amazing.   
                        • First duathlon.  Was a lot of fun, even if I got my ass kicked
                        • Tackled the mile, twice 
                        • My little brother got married Smile
                        • I decided to go back to school for my MBA and I start in a few weeks (TBD whether or not actually going back to school will show up in my 2014 highlights lol)

happylily

Oski, not being university educated is my biggest regret in life, I say this often, because it has affected me in many ways. So I'm so happy for you that you have made this decision. It takes guts and determination to do this. I know you have both. 

These are all great!

OK, I guess I'll answer my own question Smile

Not many RR ones, but a few highlights -

• the Sandy Hook 5k.    It was sort of a cluster, race wise, but there were SO MANY people paying tribute, it was amazing.   
                          • First duathlon.  Was a lot of fun, even if I got my ass kicked
                          • Tackled the mile, twice 
                          • My little brother got married Smile
                          • I decided to go back to school for my MBA and I start in a few weeks (TBD whether or not actually going back to school will show up in my 2014 highlights lol)

Hip Redux

Oski, not being university educated is my biggest regret in life, I say this often, because it has affected me in many ways. So I'm so happy for you that you have made this decision. It takes guts and determination to do this. I know you have both. 

Thanks!  I'm excited and nervous at the same time.  Looking forward to the challenge.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Ran my first half marathon (highlight) which I was terribly under-trained for (personal disappointment).

Running for TJ because he can't.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Running a BQ in my first marathon was pretty awesome. I still can't believe it. Smile