Beginners and Beyond

Hawk Marathon RR (Read 74 times)

RabbitChaser

What: Hawk Marathon

When: September 14, 2013

Where: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas

Start Time: 7:00

Finish Time: 5:42

The short of it, I ran the race with a friend and had a blast. I treated it as a long run and treated it as a gut check to see if I had a chance at a 50K being held on October 19th. All in all, I'm very happy with how the race turned out, after all, I finished! :grin: This race was about 10 miles longer than my furthest run of the year. Just to finish it feeling good was a great feeling! If you want to read the long report, or see the photos, just follow the below link:

Hawk Marathon RR

Eric

Just B.S.

Congrats Eric! Sounds like great day and I don't think you have any worries about your 50 k!

Bad Ass

Ooh, I see a Maniacs singlet!

Congrats!  Great job and I concur with Beth.  No need to worry about your 50K.  I did marathons to prepare me for the 50K and had no issues even when the course was a mother fucker.  Good luck!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Girl Parts

Great pics!  Can't wait to hear about your 50K, looks like you're ready Smile

Congrats Eric!

Cool pics and very nice report.

Congrats, I'm about to do my first full a d hope I have as much fun as you described.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Congratulations!  I'm certain that I'm not ready for a full, but the fact that you ran 10 miles farther than you've ever run before gives me hope.

But not this year! Smile

PS - looking at the pictures in your RR, it looks like a rather tough course. Very nice though!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ridiculously beautiful scenery but as I've said before here......"warmup" and "marathon" put together are just.....well......WRONG! Joking

Randy

Ibuprofen and running are not a good combination because it puts enormous strain on your kidneys.  I recognize that a lot of people take it but, here's the bottom line from one article summing up a study from runners at Western States:

"Iuprofen use by endurance athletes did not affect performance, muscle damage or perceived soreness but it was associated with elevated indicators of inflammation and cell damage. It’s a reasonable assumption that using NSAIDs has no positive effect on sports performance. It may, in fact, cause a serious health risk in some endurance athletes."

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RabbitChaser

Oski - Thanks!

Jay - Thanks!

hog4life - Thanks! I hope you have as much fun as I did as well.

Tom - Thanks! The marathon is the 2nd longest distance I've ever covered, but 10 miles farther than I have ever run. The one time I covered more distance was about 80% walking. It is the farthest I have ever gone on trails.

Randy - It is a beautiful trail to run. I will agree that using a marathon as a warmup sounds wrong, but it feels right. Smile

LTH - I didn't use the ibuprofen to increase my performance, I did it to lessen/ward off discomfort. Smile In that regard, it seemed to work. I knew the risks of taking it, but considered them minimal. However, because of the risks I limited myself to taking the equivalent of one dose during the race.

meaghansketch

Congrats on your first official marathon, Eric!  Great pictures-- looks like it was a beautiful course and a fun day.  You sound like you're ready for the 50K.  I hope it goes great!

Up next: Front Runners New York LGBT Pride 5-mile  06/28 |  NYRR Team Championships: Women (5M) 08/02

Goal race: NYCRUNS Haunted Island 10K 10/25

RabbitChaser

meaghansketch - Thanks! The course was beautiful and I have already registered for the 50K. Smile

Eric

LRB

Dreamer

Congrats and good luck on your ultra!

MRT: This too shall pass