Beginners and Beyond

An excellent reason to read labels on what you eat/drink (Read 609 times)

MrNamtor

yup. Same goes for other "healthy" foods like granola, granola bars, energy bars, trail mixes, most frozen yogurts, taco salads, etc.

Chairman

I guess the author is not a fan of sugar. Or logic.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

monkkey

The dark side of vitamin water is that it has sugar in it?  Is that supposed to be news?

MrNamtor

i do agree that the sugar content is something on the label and available to all, and that any intelligent person truly interested in health reads labels.

On the other hand, companies spend a LOT of time, thought and resources on branding. The naming of this product was not an accident. It was definitely done with the intention of influencing the consumer towards thinking of this product as a healthy drink. So, once again, we see an example in our society of people not taking any responsibility for their actions.

Product names influence many people. Maybe I'm really stupid, but I can't tell you how long it took me to realize that "Best Buy" did not always have the lowest prices on electronics!

delicate flower

I'm just glad I am one of the fortunate folks who understands what "CALORIES" means on a label despite what David Ortiz says I should drink.

BTW, Big Papi rules.

<3

LRB

"How many people with weight problems have consumed products like vitaminwater in the mistaken belief that the product was nutritionally positive and carried no caloric consequences?"

Oh, I don't know, the same amount that think a pepperoni and bacon pizza with extra cheese is healthy because it has green pepper and onions (vegetables) on it?

"The very name "vitaminwater" suggests that the product is simply water with added nutrients, disguising the fact that it's actually full of added sugar."

Is that why it taste so bitter like all vitamins do?  Dang, how could I miss that.

Seriously though, there may have been a time when one or some us thought similar things, but the deeper you dig into a healthy lifestyle, the quicker you realize just how untrue that is.

And no, you don't try to sue the product maker, you take control of what you stuff into your pie-hole.

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

And no, you don't try to sue the product maker, you take control of what you stuff into your pie-hole.

This....I couldn't have said it better myself.  Well said.

Don't believe everything you think. 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Quote for emphasis.

@runjerseygirl

"How many people with weight problems have consumed products like vitaminwater in the mistaken belief that the product was nutritionally positive and carried no caloric consequences?"

Oh, I don't know, the same amount that think a pepperoni and bacon pizza with extra cheese is healthy because it has green pepper and onions (vegetables) on it?

"The very name "vitaminwater" suggests that the product is simply water with added nutrients, disguising the fact that it's actually full of added sugar."

Is that why it taste so bitter like all vitamins do?  Dang, how could I miss that.

Seriously though, there may have been a time when one or some us thought similar things, but the deeper you dig into a healthy lifestyle, the quicker you realize just how untrue that is.

This.  But unfortunately we live in a society that is inherently lazy.  That's why we have diet pills, and liposuction.  And when people are too lazy to read labels, and just take the manufacturers word for it, they blame anyone but themselves.  There has to be some responsibility when it comes to branding, but the onus cannot be primarily on the manufacturers.  People need to take responsibility for their choices, their health, and their lives.

Do you even run?

MrNamtor

Scamming people, even stupid people, is still scamming.

You'd never argue that pushing an old lady down to the ground is not assault because no "healthy person would be knocked down by that amount of force".

The company knows how many stupid people it can fool, but fooling those people is not excusable because they were foolable.

@runjerseygirl

Scamming people, even stupid people, is still scamming.

You'd never argue that pushing an old lady down to the ground is not assault because no "healthy person would be knocked down by that amount of force".

The company knows how many stupid people it can fool, but fooling those people is not excusable because they were foolable.

This analogy makes no sense.  You're talking about a mental/psychological deception versus a physical altercation.

Do you even run?

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

50 cent was the spokes person if I remember correctly so you know its got to be legit right?  Clown

MrNamtor

and why does that make the analogy senseless?

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

SmartFood Popcorn doesn't make you smart?

Winners! bread doesn't make you a winner?

This is why we can't have nice things.

You people have issues