Beginners and Beyond

An excellent reason to read labels on what you eat/drink (Read 609 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Sugar & Vitamins Water = FIXED

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

MrNamtor

Sugar & Vitamins Water = FIXED

haha. They should just call it Crystalline Fructose Water. That actually sounds kind of delicious.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

haha. They should just call it Crystalline Fructose Water. That actually sounds kind of delicious.

I'm not going to lie, that kind of does sound good.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I love donuts.  My first job was in a donut shop (a local one, not a chain).  We had the best donuts.  Someone else has since bought the place and they're not as good now.  I used to love making them in the back and getting to choose the special.  I liked making a chocolate cake, with white icing, and chocolate drizzle and sprinkles.  I also used to enjoy overfilling and exploding apple fritters.

But I digress.

Vitamin Water is gross and WAY TOO SWEET.  If you couldn't tell from one sip that it was loaded with sugar, you have issues!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

kitteh

But you do see how the fact that a victim might have the capacity to prevent being a victim does not make a wrong-doing a non-wrong-doing.

And you have a hell of a long memory my friend. I'm going to be very careful with you. Big grin

K, I know we've moved on to much more important topics, but to revisit this I have to disagree with the implication that someone actively choosing to consume a product but declining to educate himself about the nutritional content of that product can be compared to someone who was a passive victim of violence (however slight the violence may be.) It's not about the intent of the cola company or the intent of old-lady-pusher, but the active choice of the vitamin water drinker to consume that product vs the passive victimization of the old lady who in no way choose to be pushed by that dude. Who, btw, clearly has issues because really dude? An old lady? C'mon.

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

aponi

never runs the tangents

Shall we move on to what people put on a salad and yet still think it's diet food?

I remember an experiment we did in college chemistry where we measured the amount of fat in salad dressing. I haven't eaten the stuff since, well ok maybe sometimes but I do that trick where I get it on the side and then stick my fork in it instead of pouring it on the salad. That totally and utterly negates all fat and calories. I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Love the Half

Shall we move on to what people put on a salad and yet still think it's diet food?

I remember an experiment we did in college chemistry where we measured the amount of fat in salad dressing. I haven't eaten the stuff since, well ok maybe sometimes but I do that trick where I get it on the side and then stick my fork in it instead of pouring it on the salad. That totally and utterly negates all fat and calories. I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Fat is not a bad thing in and of itself.  Your body needs fat for various processes.  Some vitamins are fat soluble and are useless unless consumed with a bit of fat.  Heck, triglycerides are energy for your muscles.  Still, the general observation that people eat a salad and think they are being "healthy" despite dumping half a gallon of dressing on it is valid.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I would like to go on record by saying that DD has the better coffee. I've never tried their plain glazed doughnut because it doesn't look as soft and tender as KK's.

I was once handed a sugar-free vitamin water after a particularly humid, hot 5k. I resisted the urge to spit it out.

In transit, arriving on time. 

His Slowness

Several years ago we were at a soccer tournament with my youngest son.  He'd had an evening game and the three of us had gone to one a local restaurant sort of like Chili's for dinner.  It had been a long day and we were all hungry so we ate well and walked out stuffed.  As we pulled out of the parking lot on the way back to the hotel we saw the "Hot" light flashing down the street and decided to pull through and get a dozen for the next morning.  They were so hot that you couldn't comfortably hold the box so we decided to each have just one for desert.  When they're that hot they just melt in your mouth!  You don't even chew, they just disolve!  By the time we made it the four blocks to the hotel the box was empty and we were all licking our fingers.  The "Hot" light is evil.

Now back to the argument over whether or not we should be protected from our own ignorance, sloth, and stupidity.

Bill

whatever happened to buyer beware? Read the label and make a decision, simple. If you want something to chase, go after the grocery store and the way the lable the units/pircing on the shelves. That is aimed at the "less" educated. But still buyer beware if full disclosure is and diligence is present.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

LRB

Several years ago we were at a soccer tournament with my youngest son.  He'd had an evening game and the three of us had gone to one a local restaurant sort of like Chili's for dinner.  It had been a long day and we were all hungry so we ate well and walked out stuffed.  As we pulled out of the parking lot on the way back to the hotel we saw the "Hot" light flashing down the street and decided to pull through and get a dozen for the next morning.  They were so hot that you couldn't comfortably hold the box so we decided to each have just one for desert.  When they're that hot they just melt in your mouth!  You don't even chew, they just disolve!  By the time we made it the four blocks to the hotel the box was empty and we were all licking our fingers.  The "Hot" light is evil.

Now back to the argument over whether or not we should be protected from our own ignorance, sloth, and stupidity.

Bill

Like!

@runjerseygirl

Bill

THIS is why KK will always beat DnD.  They closed all the KK's around here when they filed for chapter 11.  A few years ago my friend shipped a dozen to me for my birthday, from Kansas.  Best birthday present, evah!

Do you even run?

MrNamtor

K, I know we've moved on to much more important topics, but to revisit this I have to disagree with the implication that someone actively choosing to consume a product but declining to educate himself about the nutritional content of that product can be compared to someone who was a passive victim of violence (however slight the violence may be.) It's not about the intent of the cola company or the intent of old-lady-pusher, but the active choice of the vitamin water drinker to consume that product vs the passive victimization of the old lady who in no way choose to be pushed by that dude. Who, btw, clearly has issues because really dude? An old lady? C'mon.

It can be, in Roshomon fashion, about many things and be viewed in many ways.

For me, this story is part of a larger picture of the general selling of junk food to the public, the public being all of us, including me. In my view we have all been poisoned by these companies and their "tasty" snacks and meals, conditioned from childhood to crave these things and think of them as "treats" and "goodies".

And in that process, these companies, among other things, (and just like the cigarette companies did for years and years), try to convince us either subliminally or otherwise, that there are less harmful or more healthful ways to consume the garbage they manufacture.

Now if this product was named correctly, it would be called "Crap Water". In fact, every shitty "food" product made by Coca Cola, Pepsico and any of their subsidiaries should probably, in the name of honest selling, have the word "Crap" as the first part of the name.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I live in the land of Krispy Kreme and can walk to a KK when the "HOT" light is on.

I would rather eat Dunkin' Donuts anyday. That sugar coating on KK is disgusting.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Mmmmm...beer

It can be, in Roshomon fashion, about many things and be viewed in many ways.

For me, this story is part of a larger picture of the general selling of junk food to the public, the public being all of us, including me. In my view we have all been poisoned by these companies and their "tasty" snacks and meals, conditioned from childhood to crave these things and think of them as "treats" and "goodies".

And in that process, these companies, among other things, (and just like the cigarette companies did for years and years), try to convince us either subliminally or otherwise, that there are less harmful or more healthful ways to consume the garbage they manufacture.

Now if this product was named correctly, it would be called "Crap Water". In fact, every shitty "food" product made by Coca Cola, Pepsico and any of their subsidiaries should probably, in the name of honest selling, have the word "Crap" as the first part of the name.

Sorry, but I have to call bs on this.  Much like American's desire for cheaper and cheaper goods driving stores like Wal-Mart to supply us with Made in China crap, the food industry is simply meeting the demand that our sugar craving society has created.  I agree that there was a time when the public was outrightly duped, as was the case with tobacco companies back in the day.  But in this day and age of easy to read nutrition labels, no one can claimed that they were tricked or poisoned simply because they were too lazy to read.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!