Beginners and Beyond

An excellent reason to read labels on what you eat/drink (Read 609 times)

Docket_Rocket

Blasphemy!  Everybody knows it's Starbucks, pffftttt!

I would like to go on record by saying that DD has the better coffee. I've never tried their plain glazed doughnut because it doesn't look as soft and tender as KK's.

I was once handed a sugar-free vitamin water after a particularly humid, hot 5k. I resisted the urge to spit it out.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

Sorry, but I have to call bs on this.  Much like American's desire for cheaper and cheaper goods driving stores like Wal-Mart to supply us with Made in China crap, the food industry is simply meeting the demand that our sugar craving society has created.  I agree that there was a time when the public was outrightly duped, as was the case with tobacco companies back in the day.  But in this day and age of easy to read nutrition labels, no one can claimed that they were tricked or poisoned simply because they were too lazy to read.

Out here in California we had on the ballot Proposition 37 that had the "audacity" to require "food manufacturers" to place on the label whether the foodstuffs in said "item" had GMO foods. Monsanto spent MILLIONS AND MILLIONS to kill the proposition.

They won.

I "quizzed" many of my fellow voters how they voted and they unanimously voted in favor of Monsanto. When I asked why, they retorted with what they saw on TV...FUCKING ROBOTS!

When I went further to explain how deeply entrenched Monsanto is with BigAgra and the USDA/FDA to the point that Washington has "appointed" officials into positions within the FDA and USDA that are former Monsanto employees...and these folks are now steering policy, they felt embarrassed...but too late, they already voted by what they were "told" by their TVs.

And don't get me started on the "Honorable" Clarence Thomas and the Monsanto vs. The American Farmer decision.

Americans are still being duped...but it's our own fault because we're too STOOPID to read between the lines.

I present California and Proposition 37 as evidence.

Better I Leave

Starbucks buys inferior beans and "dark roasts" them to mask the inferior product. I roast my own coffee. I grind my own coffee, and I've spent years perfecting the "perfect" Cup O' Joe...

There was a time when baristas at Starbucks were allowed some autonomy. Nowadays everything is controlled/roasted from a central location. Today I boycott Starbucks.

The darker you roast the bean, the less "unique" it becomes. In other words, you can take a number of different beans, and the darker you roast them, the more they all begin to taste the same.

And the darker the roast, the less caffeine. It's a myth that a dark roast gives you a better "jolt" than a lighter roast.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

It depends. Their "natural fusions" coffee was excellent - not at all bitter like the coffee I've tried at the cafe (it's too bitter tasting to even finish a cup). I'm beginning to think their bagged coffee isn't as over-roasted and harsh as the coffee they sell at stores. As for their espresso, it's so burnt-tasting that it can only taste good when diluted with milk and sugar. Whereas at DD, I can buy a regular cup of coffee and drink it black if I wanted.

In transit, arriving on time. 

LRB

Starbucks buys inferior beans and "dark roasts" them to mask the inferior product. I roast my own coffee. I grind my own coffee, and I've spent years perfecting the "perfect" Cup O' Joe...

There was a time when baristas at Starbucks were allowed some autonomy. Nowadays everything is controlled/roasted from a central location. Today I boycott Starbucks.

The darker you roast the bean, the less "unique" it becomes. In other words, you can take a number of different beans, and the darker you roast them, the more they all begin to taste the same.

And the darker the roast, the less caffeine. It's a myth that a dark roast gives you a better "jolt" than a lighter roast.

I have friends who either brew beer or make wine who say similar things about Sam Adams or Kendall Jackson products. 

In a similar example, there are Mexican, Middle Eastern, Chinese and Italian restaurants here that are revered by the general public, while blasted by people of those ethnicities.

Your point about bean roasting is a great one.  I cannot speak for all dark roasts but the caffeine level of an 16 ounce serving of Pike Place Roast checks in at a whopping 330 mgs!  I once gave a coworker a few pods of it and he brought two of them back and said the shit was a narcotic lol!  True story.

I am not sure how they manage that, and don't really get into the inner workings of coffee brewing enough to care...at this time anyway.

I am always open to learning and trying new things, and would love to sample some of your good stuff but for now, Donut Shop and Pike's will have to do.  

I guess the only thing I can say is ignorance is bliss. 

Big grin

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Starbucks?  DD?

If I don't brew it at home, it's 7-11 baby!  Just don't give me one of those cups with a Presidential candidate on it.  I won't drink out of it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

StepbyStep-SH

The better coffee place around here is Caribou, although they don't brew the Mahogany or Obsidian often enough to suit my tastes.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

I'm late to the party as usual (and btw, it's DD for straight coffee, but SBUX for my fancy-schmancy latte drinks) but here it goes anyway -

I'm a teacher and work with a low-income population, many of whom speak either no or very little English.  These kids parents work 2-3 jobs and are struggling to get by.  You can call them stupid all you want, but when they either don't read the language, do speak English but have low literacy skills, or are half dead asleep on their feet by the time they make it to the grocery store, you can't tell me that it's their own fault for being duped by the food & beverage companies.  They're just hoping and praying to be able to afford something to nourish their children, and when there's a coupon for $2 off that cereal that says it's made with whole grain, and there was a nifty commercial on tv talking all about how it was heart-healthy...what do you think they're going to choose?

Not because they're stupid, but because they're poor and exhausted and busy and illiterate.  And the food & beverage companies know these things perfectly well and are preying on them.

Angela 

happylily

I'm late to the party as usual (and btw, it's DD for straight coffee, but SBUX for my fancy-schmancy latte drinks) but here it goes anyway -

I'm a teacher and work with a low-income population, many of whom speak either no or very little English.  These kids parents work 2-3 jobs and are struggling to get by.  You can call them stupid all you want, but when they either don't read the language, do speak English but have low literacy skills, or are half dead asleep on their feet by the time they make it to the grocery store, you can't tell me that it's their own fault for being duped by the food & beverage companies.  They're just hoping and praying to be able to afford something to nourish their children, and when there's a coupon for $2 off that cereal that says it's made with whole grain, and there was a nifty commercial on tv talking all about how it was heart-healthy...what do you think they're going to choose?

Not because they're stupid, but because they're poor and exhausted and busy and illiterate.  And the food & beverage companies know these things perfectly well and are preying on them.

Very true. You have a good heart, Angela.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Better I Leave

Indeed. It costs more to eat healthily than it does to eat poorly. The food and beverage industries do exploit the poor with the aid of government subsidies. Cheap, unhealthy food is cheap because the government is artificially sustaining it.

LRB

It doesn't stop there.  My doc recommended I use a whole food multi-vitamin as opposed to a "pharmaceutical" like the One A Day Mens Pro Edge I had been using.

Difference in cost?  $9.00 vs. $23.00 - OOOF!

Starbucks coffee taste burnt.

Plus they always look at me funny when I order a large coffee, please, with no room for cream.

KK coffee is okay, but their donuts are way too sweet.  Give me a plain cake donut with my black coffee.  Yawn.

never run

Starbucks coffee sucks, it is only barely tolerable with lots of sugar and milk like in a vanilla latte.

LRB

Starbucks coffee sucks, it is only barely tolerable with lots of sugar and milk like in a vanilla latte.

Hi!

Docket_Rocket

I agree (with Jen too).  Although what you guys consider coffee to me is colored water.  Try Cuban or Puerto Rican coffee. You'll grow hairs when you don't have any.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page