Beginners and Beyond

RR - "If an ultra was easy, it would be called... wait, what?" (Read 110 times)

On Sunday, I participated in the Buffalo Philharmonic 6-hour Classic.  I was warned not to.  But, I reasoned that I would only jog, and that it would be nice to run *with* a bunch of people rather than truly racing, and that I would stop at the first sign of trouble.  And I think that I really just wanted to go for a long, easy run as therapy.

Apparently, people take these things seriously.  In addition to a bunch of familiar locals, several runners had traveled fair distance to go around and around and around a nice but unremarkable 3.25 mile paved path loop near the University of Buffalo.

The gear they had!  Tents and tables full of food and drinks with alchemical labels like "d-ribose.  ROB" and lots of Hammer Nutrition and bags full of extra clothes and socks and shoes. As people set up prior to the start,  I felt like a rookie and hovered awkwardly over my two simple grocery bags of Powerade, fruit, a muffin, and some caffeinated water.  Soon enough, however, some runners from my recently-joined club showed up, so I threw my stuff under their pop-up and chatted for a while, since a warmup run would be sort of superfluous. (Bloody Nipples Athletic Club), BNAC for short. Big grin

I wore a clever disguise.  I suggested that I'd only jog for a little bit.  No one was buying it, and more than one local using the path but not running the race called out "nice job, Jay!".  Shit.  Perhaps I was not so Guy Incognito as desired.

Early on, everyone was happy.  Lots of talking and enjoying good weather.  Just a nice easy run in the park.

I mentioned to a friend that there was a lot of unsustainable pace going on.  He replied that he'd try to shoot for 9:00 pace for the duration to hit 40 miles and earn a "gold" medal.  Well heck, I'd try that too I guess.  He also mentioned that I should change socks every 10 miles to avoid hot spots or blisters, and in typical fashion, I thanked him for the good advice and proceeded to run in the same socks all day.

As time went on, the number of runners continued to drop, and those that were still plugging away became a bit more grim.  I still had great support at every pass of the "tent village", with friends offering up kind words, drinks, electrolyte pills, etc.  I held on to the pep talk but stuck to the fuel I had brought and was familiar with.  I felt physically good, still just on an extended jog, but I knew I was getting mentally weird when I started counting laps by making a mental grid of 3 punch cards with four light bulbs on each, and lighting up a bulb upon lap completion, because I couldn't keep focused on conventional numbers.

A bicyclist was overhead telling his partner about those funny "0.0" stickers, and I yelled that I'd never wear one.  Two of my local marathon peers that had been at Erie randomly went by and gave me a "good job."  Huge, huge boost.  I booed a guy walking in a Flyers jersey, and kept up with positive comments for competitors.  Some nods, some grimaces, some completely ignored me every. single. time.  Somewhere long after 26.2 had been achieved,  with the field thinned and spread out, a woman roughly my age went past me looking very strong.  I gave her a heartfelt "great job" and a broad grin, and although we never seemed to be at the same pace, from there on out, every time we leapfrogged or passed on the out and back sections it was big smiles and brief words of encouragement.  Not being alone is huge, and I think I know now why serious ultra runners use pacers.

4 hours had passed, 5 neared.  I was on my 3rd bottle of Powerade and took a few minute break to chat with BNAC friends at the shelter, more to break the monotony than out of any physical distress.  It had gotten warm and windy.  Charlie, the friend who had wanted to hit 40 was clearly not doing as well as he wanted, but somewhere on my lap 11, he mentioned that I had time to hit 40.  (If you were on a partial lap when 6 hours expired, the timers would pro-rate your distance based on your split for that 3.25 mile segment as long as you finished it.)  It would be close.  I couldn't jog 12.  So I picked up the pace, skipped a break at the tent village, and started to actually run.  The silly hat came off.  12 laps done, 39 miles, something like 10 minutes to go.  I yelled to Charlie that it was the bell lap and I had to kick.  He looked at me like he wanted to die and like I was insane.

Pace splits for each 3.25 mile loop:

01 - 8:10

02 - 8:20

03 - 8:23

04 - 8:52

05 - 9:24

06 - 9:16

07 - 9:16

08 - 9:02

09 - 9:24

10 - 9:59

11 - 9:24

12 - 7:47

13 - 7:20

So, 40.58 got counted, I got  a loaf of cinnamon bread, and a taste of what ultras are about.  Now for a nice taper with hopefully most of the madness taken out by doing this ahead of it  Smile.

delicate flower

Nice 40 mile jog you had there, Jay.

<3

Great job Jay! I'm pretty sure I saw that hat in the Runners World Summer Gear Review issue.

How the hell did you have so much speed at the end? That is just ridiculous. Pretty amazing for a "rookie"; imagine what you could've done with a shot of d-ribose and a few sock changes!

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Weird group of people, those ultra runners, but you gotta love them. Careful, those things can be addictive.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Nice jog Jay, and lovely RR Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Mmmmm...beer

Nice lil jog. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

You're crazy...crazy awesome.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Nice jog, Jay!

Birdwell

That's awesome! Congrats on the 40+ miles.

Those timed, multi-loop ultras generally have a very different vibe than the trail ultras. Like you said, people take them very seriously.

No picture of the gold medal though?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

good lord....I just cannot imagine going in circles for that many laps.....very impressive Jay!  Congrats on your 40 miles and the rewarded loaf of cinnamon bread!   You'd think after all those circles they'd reward you with donuts....40 circular donuts to remind you of each and every mile.

You got some stamina there, bud!  Way to go!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Awesome job, Jay.  Love your comment about the socks: I thank him and then proceeded to run on the same socks all day, LOL.

I love ultras.  The environment, the people, it's all so different.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nice RR! The hat rocks.

Pinktastic

Holy cannoli!!   This is incredible, Jay!   What a Pink-mazing run!  Huge congrats!    So.....   this should make that little 26.2 you've got coming up feel like a walk in the park, right?

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Hip Redux

You're insane.    I think my grandmother had that same hat.

I felt physically good, still just on an extended jog, but I knew I was getting mentally weird when I started counting laps by making a mental grid of 3 punch cards with four light bulbs on each, and lighting up a bulb upon lap completion, because I couldn't keep focused on conventional numbers.

WTF?  lol

happylily

You're crazy cute with that hat on. 

I want to admonish you for pulling that stunt so close to Boston, but I can't. You have runner's insanity, and I know there is nothing you can do about it.:-) You had quite an impressive day for a newbie ultra runner! You're one hell of a runner, Jay. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010