Beginners and Beyond

The Morning DAILIES: Part of a complete breakfast (Read 38 times)

happylily

No lily, I can't stand the idea of being "trapped" thousands of feet in the air, in a death trap. The only chance someone has of getting me on a plane is getting me drunk first.....and that is still a slim chance.

If I cared about all the wonderful places to see, I would first want to see all the awesome known and not so well known places in America before anywhere else. Then.....and only then would I consider it, but I want to be drunk and have my own parachute :P

That's too bad, Andrea. There is much to learn outside of our own worlds. But I understand the fear you speak of. I'm not 100% comfortable on a plane myself. Wine does help a lot. Wine, and then a nap. :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Busy, busy Monday at work coming off of a 3-day weekend!

Busy - but fun too - running weekend, did 3 races over the 4th of July weekend

Popsicle 4-Miler on 4th of July:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/3a8ffbf2c3854b60b11ba043d9a66fe5/resume#focus

Veteran's Victory Run 5K on July 5:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/884a1d3c369b43c4bc3d4c6c25a50e45#focus

Free-Da's Run For The Arts 5K on July 6:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/0b217c3215654c30bd96b1b10da90da0#focus

Today is a rest day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I would require rum or whiskey .....or both. A few shots of my Red Stag Hard Cider and then a margarita.

I wish they would figure out teleportation damn it lol.

That's too bad, Andrea. There is much to learn outside of our own worlds. But I understand the fear you speak of. I'm not 100% comfortable on a plane myself. Wine does help a lot. Wine, and then a nap. :-)

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

...or a Xanax.

Not sure why you consider it a "death trap", it remains the safest mode of travel. But I realize these things are not rational. (Hence the meds.)

Dave

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I would require rum or whiskey .....or both. A few shots of my Red Stag Hard Cider and then a margarita.

I wish they would figure out teleportation damn it lol.

hmmm...

There are substances that could ease your sardine can issues...  however you would gladly resort to being de-materialized and trust all the complexities to get you back together correctly?

Haven't you ever read or seen The Fly?

(Oh and I figured with your... drive...   the mile high club would be enticing.  

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Back to work for me, Rick, and busy as all get-out. Monday is our very busy day at work.   Appointment with a time card?

Where are you going in Europe, Cyberic, for the big vacation?  Guess I missed that somewhere.

4.5 in 45 minutes would be dang fast for me, Basya, lol.  Good luck with your after-work plans!

Good luck with the 15 today, Lily!

Ain't that always the way, DaveP.  Nasty weather and it clears up right when you're done.

think I need a weekend to recover from my weekend.  +1!  Good luck with your miles later, Phil.

Now that Arthur is gone, bet it is once again hot as all get-out for you!  Good luck!

Hope you enjoyed the family reunion, Step.  Isn't Andrew in ND?  And you were in SD?  You could have gotten in a REALLY long run by running to go see him. 

Hope all your HM training goes as planned, Andrew.

Same-o, same-o, B-Plus, I slept in until 6:30 a.m. this morning, it was nice!  Happy 10 for your later!

I think that dang dew-point is worse, Slymoon.

Happy rest day, Marjorie!

Dang, Jack, 400' elevation gain!  Keep doing that, you're gonna have some huge calf muscles!

Congrats on the speedwork, Zelanie!  Are you still in Costa Rica?  Do the TMs give you instructions in Spanish?

Sounds like your marathon training is going well, FreeSoul.  No ship or plane?  How about a submarine, then?  That's not a ship...it's a BOAT! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

And yet when a plane does crash, you are pretty surely DEAD. Whereas in my tahoe on the road, it depends on a lot of factors..... and most of them I still have a better chance of surviving. I don't care if it is only ONE plane crash a year or every ten years, as long as there is a chance... I ain't taken it unless I absolutely have to.

Haha slymoon....no the mile high club is over rated lol  and that is why I said I wish they would figure it out....or in other words perfect teleportation.

hmmm...

There are substances that could ease your sardine can issues...  however you would gladly resort to being de-materialized and trust all the complexities to get you back together correctly?

Haven't you ever read or seen The Fly?

(Oh and I figured with your... drive...   the mile high club would be enticing.  

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Zelanie

Yup, Scotty, I'm here until mid-August.  The TMs are in Spanish, although some measure distance/pace in miles, and some do kilometers.  Although there are some badly translated notes on them, like "Please do not rely on the monitor" (instead of "lean on the monitor").

Docket_Rocket

Scotty Damarized me.  Unless the hot comment was for me.  But we were never cool during Arthur to begin with!

Andrea, the statistics are clear.  You are at a higher risk of dying while driving than by flying.  By a huge margin.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Andrea, the statistics are clear.  You are at a higher risk of dying while driving than by flying.  By a huge margin.

Plus, you can get shot while you are out running. Feel better? You're welcome.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Plus, you can get shot while you are out running. Feel better? You're welcome.

Exactly....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I felt the same way about flying then just accepted the fact that if I ever wanted to go anywhere or do anything I had to get over it.

I can go a stretch of four or five flights without a single concern, then out of the blue have a flight where I am convinced I am going to die.

There is no rhyme or reason to it but for the most part I do okay.  My calming mechanism is humor so I tell a lot of jokes and just try to remember that every single person who works for the airline would choose flying over driving 100 times out of 100.  Even in inclement weather.

I used to drink beforehand as well but eventually got to the point where I don't need to anymore.

happylily

Anyway, not a nice topic for Cyber, who's about to fly over the Atlantic next week. But he told me he used to be a skydiving instructor. So I'm sure he's got nerves of steel.  And like LRB said, we have to get over our fears if we want to do anything in life.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Nah, I fly all the time.  Nothing to worry.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I fly a ton. It doesn't bother me. I've seen some that are really scared. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. No reason to be miserable.

Marjorie