Beginners and Beyond

Thalposis Thursday Penguins - well, some of us... (Read 28 times)

on my way to badass

Hey Penguins!

Damaris- I looked up the Hal Higdon plans for HM.  They look good.  Now I just have to decide which one ;-)  Thanks!

7 done.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope the rest day helps you, Jack.  We're older now...we have to rest more..

Hope your hike went well, HsM, and your haircut came out the way you want.  Come visit for a few days anytime you get sick of that weather.

Congrats on even getting out in 7-degree weather, Kristin! Jeez...I think Mother Nature has some kind of vendetta going on against the east coast area.

Congrats on your run, Bin, and good luck with that 2014 goal!  Wow, that's a lot of miles to run, 167-something-or-so a month!

Weekend starts at 1?  NICE, Jerry!  Enjoy your long weekend!

My cold is never going away.  And hubby caught bronchitis.  Damaris, you need to give each other chest rubs....  

I have 10 local-area YMCAs, Zelanie, that I can use as a 'base' for my running to start and finish from, very nice.  I finally got to the 10th one last week.  I found out it has some very nice trails right behind it, sweeet!   Then I have a choice of running on the Riverwalk or  any of the university campuses here (5 universities in San Antonio) or I can choose a combination of park trails and surrounding neighborhoods (I have 35 of those to choose from - https://www.sanantonio.gov/parksandrec/park_trails.aspx ).  I could go to Government Canyon State Natural Area, our local State park, or Medina Natural Area (where I once encountered a bobcat), both of which have beautiful off-road trails; or, of our "Leon Creek Greenway" system of trails (asphalt and cement) which connect with each other all over town and provide MILES of running; or I could go to Missions Park, which runs alonside the San Antonio River and takes me by the 17th century Spanish Missions.  Finally, being retired military, I can opt to run on any of the 5 local military bases we have here.   Lots of choices!  Tough problem, huh?     BTW, you should be getting your package I sent by tomorrow, I hope.  Keep an eye out for it.   Sorry about the sore heel. Roll that puppy on a frozen water bottle!

Congrats on the 7, StoneFence!  Good luck with your training plan, whichever one you select!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

That's my favorite weather ever, Scotty.  I'm cold natured, so other than while I'm running, I'd rather it be in the 80s.

Bin-- barring no injuries, I'm sure you could make the goal.  I set mine to 1500 even though I've ran 2000+ for the last 3 years.  I did that though, because I'm scared of becoming a slave to the goal other than listening to my body.  Plus I take weeks off,  and do low miles when needed, but then sometimes, I'm training for something and will put in what is lots of miles for me.  So the important thing for me, is not to get too caught up in what I'm doing short term, but rather look at the whole picture.  LOL, okay I know you didn't ask, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Zel-- lets hope that the imaging or something helps to find those people who are trapped.  I must be a pessimist, because it's really hard to have a lot of hope after all this time now, but for their families' sakes, I hope they get some answers.

Jerry-- I went ahead and signed me and your wife up for a couple of 50 mile races, just to keep her busy until your knee is better.  

Today, I did a really slow 6.  The weather forecasters were predicting some pretty hefty winds for today, but thankfully they were wrong and it was beautiful.  Afterwards, I went and saw a friend who had emergency gallbladder surgery yesterday.  I was so happy that she was looking cheerful and said she was feeling much, much better since the surgery.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

I don't know that they are going to find anybody any more, but I do hope that it helps to keep the people who are working on the recovery effort safe.  The whole area is still very unstable.

Cherie- You are such a good friend!  Glad your friend is feeling better.

Scotty- I've been keeping my eye on the mail all week!  You do have a lot of running options.  Are you going to keep the Y membership after the year is up?

SF- Glad you decided to go for it!

Ginny- I think it's my achilles.  It's the same thing that's been bugging me for months, actually, but it had gotten better recently.  Considering that, I think I'll run tomorrow instead of today.  Hope you get some decent temps for your run.

Docket_Rocket

Hey Penguins!

Damaris- I looked up the Hal Higdon plans for HM.  They look good.  Now I just have to decide which one ;-)  Thanks!

7 done.

No problem.  As to which one, it will depend on your mileage.  I think my first was the Intermediate one.  Good luck and if you need anything, PM me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

We ended up going out to the short ski trail near the state park, so I could do a trail run while DH and Ben walked the loop.  Tuesday's snow hadn't melted out there jcompletely, so there was some slipping and sliding and I underestimated the steepness of the hills (500' in 4 miles) so it was slow and not a great run, but it's the first time we've been out there since last fall, so I'm glad we went.  I managed 4 running miles plus about a mile walking with Jim and Ben, so at least I got a little bit of a workout.

Amazonian Princess

Good afternoon, Penguin thread!

No real warm weather since last week since it's been raining off and on, but it'll do us some good. It was a little cold this morning, I could see my breath when I went for a run before work.

Scotty - I'm jealous of all the running routes from which you can choose! Have a wonderful four!

Jerry - I don't check in regularly but I think I remember you have an injured knee (?) How goes?

Awood - nothing wrong with a big dude! But I agree with Jack, you'll get there are some point

Jack K - Enjoy the rest day!

HsM - I got my rolly thingie too and LOVE IT! DH has to help me roll my upper legs because I have a hard time holding the springy parts and leaning (I've got a bad right wing) but I can do my calves, and seriously? SQUEE!!!

kristin - Hawai'i should feel fantastic after the weather you're having

Hi, Bin! Hope you had a great time in Hong Kong!

Docket - Did you ever post a picture of your FE with Jerry and wife? Hope your cold clears soon.

Zelanie - is your heel sore from kicking so much ass?

Hi, Stone Fence! I'm glad it's not just me hoping for a nice race picture! Last one looks like I was standing still and that was during my finishing "kick"!

She Can - What is that cold slushie/drink that you like after a warm run? I was trying to plan something icy and refreshing since the weather will clear soon and warm up quickly after.

Ginny - Kudos for running/walking/hiking in cold and snow!

Just cross training in the employee gym after work since I ran this morning and then some errands to do for the party at work we're having on Friday to celebrate Social Work month (they're our sister department).

Have a great evening!

I can. I will. I am. 

SheCan

Baconista-- What I do is just mix whatever juice I have (usually orange) with diet Sprite and crushed ice.  Its really good and refreshing on a hot day, I think.

Do the rest of y'all have special drinks for after a long, hot run?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Bacon, the knee is still achy but I can walk okay, but still limited range of motion.  Can't run at all.  Going to orthopaedic surgeon next Thursday.

Cherie, hope those 50 milers are in August in the desert.

Docket_Rocket

Baconista, very observant.  I never did.  I look like a fat cow.  Don't make me!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Amazonian Princess

Cherie - I've never tried diet Sprite but I'll pick up a small bottle and give it a try with some juice this weekend. Cheers!

Jerry - Surgeon? OMG, did you do it twerking?

Docket - Post it! Post it! I'll donate $20 to your favorite charityyyyy....

I can. I will. I am. 

Docket_Rocket

Sigh.  Here it is:

But to prove I don't look like that:

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Amazonian Princess

You both look great!!!

So, American Cancer Society? SPCA? Girls on the Run? I'm a bacon of my word...

I can. I will. I am. 

Docket_Rocket

You both look great!!!

So, American Cancer Society? SPCA? Girls on the Run? I'm a bacon of my word...

Haha.  No worries.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Looking good, Damaris and Jerry! 

Cherie- I just like Powerade Zero.   Boring, I know!

Baconista- That's totally what I'll tell myself if my heel gives me any trouble during my race!  Hope the party goes well tomorrow!

Here is poor Zoe in her pen.  The valium appears to be doing its thing.