Beginners and Beyond

National Waiters and Waitresses Day Wednesday Penguins (Read 26 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

I didn't end up scoring tickets to Gaga after all--they offered them to students first. That's okay. I'm sure it was much more exciting for a broke 19-year-old. Instead I did Bodypump for the second time. It was a much easier routine this time. At least, mostly! Today's a 28 minute run. Have a good one, everybody!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run/walk after work yesterday in the park near the zoo.  It wasn't a great outing but it wasn't a bad outing either.  In spite of the 89-degrees and "feels like' temp of 92, I managed to keep on steadily going, ending up with 3.4 miles.  Sure glad I started and finished at the YMCA, so I had a nice air-conditioned building to go into and do my post-run back exercises and stretching, that A/C felt pretty good after being out in the Texas sun.   Today's plan is for about another 3 - 4 miles after work.   The weather should be a little cooler as it's only going to 88 degrees today. 

Sorry you didn't score the tickets, obiebyke. Congrats on your bodypump being easier this time and good luck with your miles later.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Obie and Scotty.  Enjoy the 28 minute run, Obie.  Scott, we will also do 3-4 this afternoon.

Zel, are you moving to a heavier shoe?  I never wore my K3's much last year, but now I like them more and more.

Have a great day.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD.  Yes, you read that right.  I have Pilates tomorrow, so don't hold your breath about SRDing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Obie - I didn't get tickets either :-(  lol

I helped my wife with her tempo run last night.  It was just long enough to keep me ahead of the pace bunny.  I'm a little nervous, but excited to race this weekend andtry for my first PR of the year.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Morning!  I don't seem to have won the lottery.  Next time!

Today I am going to do the group track workout.  It is 2x200, 2x400, 1x800, 2x400, 2x200.  I think I'm going to run it at the pace that Hanson's gives me for their speed workouts, which should be doable.

obie- Enjoy the run!

Scotty- Morning!

Jerry- Only for some runs.  I actually used to wear Cortanas for all of my long runs, but couldn't justify spending that much money on a new pair when Kinvaras and Virratas are so cheap.  So I'm thinking that a higher drop and more cushioning for some runs will let me stay in the light shoes some of the time.

D- Hiya!

Awood- Rock it!

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  I cut last night's run a little short (4.25 instead of the planned 5 miles) because of a cranky knee / calf tightness.  It might be that the cranky knee was causing the calf tightness or vice versa, but either way it was bothering me enough that I thought it prudent to stop.  I'll see how it feels tonight; I'd like to do about 5 miles again.

So here's how boring my daily routine is.  I usually pack a 1/4 cup of almonds to munch on at my desk throughout the day.  A few minutes ago, I opened my container to pour out a few nuts for munching...and I have TRAIL MIX!  That's a treat...I forgot I packed that last night instead of almonds.  Pretty lame that I'm here practically doing a happy dance because I have trail mix (with M&M's of course) instead of almonds.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Obie: Sadly, I also missed out on ticket to Lady Gaga. Somehow, I will get over it.  Wink

Scotty: Nice run in the heat.  "Only" 88. I know the feeling.

Jerry: Have a nice four miles. i'm glad the knee is ok.

D: Enjoy the RD. Are you doing a RR on the latest marathon?

Awood: I must have missed it. What are you running this weekend?

Zel: Enjoy the track workout. Remember to change directions every six laps or so.

PF: That's a windfall. Just the other day I was taking clothes out of the dryer and there was a dollar bill in there and I'm going "Yes!" The simple things...

As for me, I went for a good massage yesterday before DD's award ceremony. I had some big knots in my calves and upper glutes. Also, he found a knot about the size of a marble in my my arch. That one hurt like heck but it's gone. He seems to think that that knot was causing my PF like symptoms because it could have been attached to the tendon connected to the heel. He thinks I never had PF at all. I got out of bed today with no heel pain so we'll see.  
                    Tonight is the other DD's track awards banquet so I have to pick up the other DD from swim practice, get her home, get cleaned up, take her to her friend's house (she is not going to said banquet), and then meet DW and DD at the banquet. After that I need to run four miles.

Another day...

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack - Another 5k.  Not a goal race, but I'm expirementing with pacing by kilometer instead of miles for more frequent and accurate feedback, as well as easy math.  I ran a 10k training run the other day with every other kilometer at a 5k effort for the first 6k.  The results of the 3k at pace were 4:37, 4:34 and 4:35.  I'm hoping to be that consistent Saturday.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  W1D2 with Dusty and DH got done last night, despite my immense yawning the entire time -- I haven't slept too well the past few nights, and it's beginning to catch up to me.  Anyway, my calves are still sore, but my knee is ok, so I'm happy.  And the next two days are non-running days, so the calves should stop fussing soon.  Office yoga today and then quartet rehearsal tonight!!

obie -- have a good 28 minute run!!

scotty -- woo-hoo for your hot-time run!!

Jerryb -- enjoy your 3-4!!

Docket -- enjoy your running sabbath!!

Awood -- good luck with that PR!!

Zelanie -- that video you posted for me yesterday was hilarious!!

Phillie -- I definitely think calf tightness contributed to my knee issues.

Jack -- hope you tipped the masseuse, he sounds like a good one!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Hey guys! 6 easy done in the morning. Haven't ran much but trying to be more consistent.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GinnyinPA

Obiebyke - thanks for getting us started. Too bad about the tickets, if you really wanted to see her.  Hurray for being almost finished with C25K.  I enjoyed it the first time, but didn't have the discipline to stick with it when I came back after injury.  Good for you for doing that.

Scotty - enjoy your 3 this evening.  I hope you find a nice shady spot to run.

Jerry - your run should be fairly cool - or is it raining in Chicago?  Enjoy the 3-4.

Damaris - resting because you feel the need or because your plan calls for it?  Are you using a plan, or do you have a coach now?

Awood - are both you and your wife running the 5k?  Have fun with it.

Z - did you switch to Hansons from Pfitz?  Have fun at the track.  Have you started your marathon training already?

Margo - do you have a roller for your calf?  Or can you massage it to see if you can loosen up the muscles?  I hope today's run goes better.

Jack - your massage sounds phenomenal!  Amazing if your foot problem really wasn't PF.  Sorry about all the banquets.  They are so boring - unless you're the one receiving an award.

HM - enjoy your yoga and rehearsal today.  I'm glad you're starting c25k again.  Good luck with it.

Bin - rusty because of all the rain, or because you've had no time to run?  Good job on the run yesterday, in either case.

AFM:  Rainy and very humid today, so I'll probably do some miles on the TM.  No running in four days, but with the hiking I did, I hope I won't feel the lack.  At the moment, I just want to take a nap.  I didn't sleep all that well on our trip.  It always takes a few days to get used to sleeping on the ground and going to bed with the sun.  Plus the fact that there were a few bears seen very near the campsite made me nervous about Ben's reaction if one wandered nearby.  Fortunately, none of the ones I saw were very close to us, and if any did pass in the night, he didn't respond.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Howdy penguins.

4.5 yesterday and 6 today. Usually don't run Weds but I'm switching some things around so I don't have to worry about running while in Atlantic City this coming weekend with my boyfriend.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Ginny - She's sitting this one out.  Sounds like you need to catch up on sleeping more than running.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost