Beginners and Beyond

IMTPT (Read 1309 times)

Wandering Wally

Van - Are you using S! caps or something similar when it gets hot?  Just wondering if that's something I should be looking at to help get me through the longer long runs coming soon to my neighborhood (a couple of 20 milers in June, 2-3 25 milers in July).

Damaris - You run in the heat all the time.  Do you do anything to supplement sodium on your long runs?  Or, because you are so acclimated to the heat, is it not an issue for you?

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Docket_Rocket

I don't use any supplements but rather use the sodium from my diet.  I am acclimated to heat but there is no acclimated to humidity, so I still lose sodium.  I just don't think most people need them on a regular basis, although some do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I do use Endurolutes, which is about 1/3 the sodium in an S cap if memory serves.  And I tend to only use them in races, do t really use then on training Runs.

Marjorie, hope the wedding goes smoothly.  If probably be drinking dying the whole thing to take the edge off.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Yo. Up from a failed nap attempt to get ready for a one nighter at work. Not looking forward to it. My fibro found me and is punishing me for yesterday's shenanigans.  My back, neck, and arms are really bothering me.

Mike - Look at what your overall electrolyte intake is. Include whatever sports drink you're using, along with gels, chews, etc. You may be covered. I have used Endurolytes in the past for long runs in hot weather.  I know they have a recommended dosing schedule based on body weight.

Relentless forward progress

Wandering Wally

Pam - Thanks.  Normal for me on a long run is plain water.  Once in awhile I will take a gel at around mile 10 if I'm feeling down, but most of the time nothing but plain water.

Run!  Just Run!

Docket_Rocket

Yo!  I ran 5 in the pouring rain (horizontal headwind rain at that).  Loved it since it was 88F when I started so anything to refresh that shit helped.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Two admits so far. Coffee not working. Need more coffeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Relentless forward progress

Pam, sounds like you're having a coffee emergency of a different kind.  Keep it coming, and stat!

Found out tonight at 10 pm that we are not getting furloughed.  Our management made some concessions to eliminate our furlough days.  I'm drinking a Spotted Cow beer to celebrate.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I use the S! caps in the heat but I don't know how much it helps to be honest.

As for the job fair, I am new job hunting.

Docket_Rocket

They did the same with us but next year we have no more concessions or things to cut so we will be fucked next year.

Pam, sounds like you're having a coffee emergency of a different kind.  Keep it coming, and stat!

Found out tonight at 10 pm that we are not getting furloughed.  Our management made some concessions to eliminate our furlough days.  I'm drinking a Spotted Cow beer to celebrate.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

No S caps here. I really think people get enough sodium in their diet. And I don't feel iLife going to get my blood draw n right after a hard run to see if my levels are okay. I believe they are.

One more week to Hatfield.

Puppy pool today.

Marjorie

Wandering Wally

Thanks for your feedback everyone.  I appreciate it.  My current plan seems to work mostly OK (plain water + very occasional gel) so I think I will stick with that.

Van - Good news!  I'm not so sure about that Wisconsin beer though ;-)  Better hide it before the next time the Huskers play the Badgers.

Pam - Hope you made it through the night OK.

Damaris -  Nice rainy run.

Doug - Good luck at the fair and with the new job search.

Marjorie - What's a puppy pool?

Hope you all are enjoying the weekend.  Time to get some beer cold for later.

Run!  Just Run!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Mike one of my dogs had major back surgery nov 2012. There is a pool here in town just for dogs. We take him there every Sat. Was part of his recovery. Now is for fun and to maintain his strength. Before the surgery he lost all use of his back legs. He is pretty good now. When he had the surgery he was only 3. We thought we would lose him but the neuro vet here is awesome and said an amazing job. I did his initial therapy. Then when released to do more at 7 weeks, we found the pool and he has been going there ever since.

Marjorie

Wandering Wally

Ah, OK.  Cool!  I never imagined there would be a pool just for dogs.  Glad it helped him.

Run!  Just Run!

Marjorie, sounds like a good place for them to have fun!

Mike, beer, mmm mmm good.

I think I'm going to take All star week off running.  My extensor tendon just isn't healing, and every run inflames it again.  So am thinking of shooting for 100 biking miles this week.  Maybe. We'll see.