Beginners and Beyond

IMTPT (Read 1309 times)

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Second to last day at work before the long break for surgery.

I also drive a hybrid but now Marjorie and I have the same car.  It is the size of a Lexus ES, IMO, so there is that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Hybrids are great for gas. I'm on my second tank and getting 42mpg right now and that is all city driving.

Of course our governor is being all idiotic since more people are getting hybrids so less gas taxes she wants to impose a fee on people that drive hybrids. I mean, come on!  Let's punish people for buying a more expensive car to get better gas mileage by imposing another tax on them. Yep green taxes. That should be a hit......

Marjorie

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Alright Sunday night to Tuesday night.  291 miles driven trying to keep the highway speeds at 70 or less.  Results were 20.9 MPG for my Saturn.  This next tank I am testing 65 MPH roughly for an highway speed.  Yeah I need better fuel economy.

At this rate it might be a 700 -750 mile week for me with the work commute and home running around.  Yeah I need better fuel economy with minimum payment.

Singer who runs a smidge

48 mpg winter, 54 mpg summer.  But it is mostly highway ...

And I'm going to be averaging ZERO miles tomorrow, probably Friday too.  My university is shuttering at 4 and will be closed tomorrow too.  Hoping that we don't lose power, so I can play Lego Wii Batman with DH! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Wandering Wally

Going to be making more coffee soon...

Doug - My 1998 Subaru Outback gets ~18 mpg around town and ~25 mpg on the highway.  However, it's paid for.  Also, I only put 5000-6000 miles per year on it.  Maintenance (so far) has been minimal.  Just normal wear items.

Damaris - Hope the surgery goes well and that you heal quickly!

Marjorie - State road maintenance budgets mostly come from fuel taxes.  States are struggling to find another way to fund road maintenance now that they are collecting less fuel taxes.  Nothing in government happens quickly, so this will be kind of a drawn out process to come up with a solution that works.  Once one state gets it right, the rest will probably adopt a similar solution.  I agree that a fee only on hybrids and electric cars is probably not the way to go as it seems discriminatory and appears to unfairly penalize a class of vehicles that probably puts the least amount of wear on a road.  Also, a flat fee makes the people who drive less subsidize those that drive more.

If you live in the south, take care, stay home and watch the snow/ice from your living room window.  I hope none of you lose power.  Stay safe everyone!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

We lost power for a short while but it is back. A ton more in this state not so lucky. Ice in our trees and bridges. My flights were cancelled today so I worked from home, took the pups to the vets for well doggie visit since they were open and had tons of cancels. Since we live close we took an open slot versus waiting a week. Their doggie dental is in 3 weeks. We love our vet. They are very very busy though so normal appt are  usually several days out unless it is an emergency. The dental we got was their first available. Of course doggie teeth cleaning means knocking them out etc and isn't like cleaning a humans teeth.

Marjorie

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Well my Saturn is paid for but it also has 174,000 miles on it right now.  Its life is short at this point most likely.  I want something that will be comfortable but get good fuel economy as well.  Need 30 MPG or more highway stats.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, guys.  Dad got here tonight.  We are now raining, thundering, and maybe tornadoeing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Hey!  Hoping everyone in the path of the weather out east stays safe!

Listen to your nurses, Damaris!  Think of your post op recovery as a different kind of training plan and stick to it!

Relentless forward progress

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Well I looked at the Prius online and although it gets great gas mileage I just can't get past the looks of the car.  Plus the pricetag new is more than I want to deal with.

Actually looking online a lot at the Chevy Cruze.  24 city / 36 to 38 highway MPG depending on the engine.  It will get a bit better if I want to embrace a stick shift again.  NOT!  The only stick shift I ever want to drive again is a hella fast Mustang.

Gonna try a slightly different route home tonight.  It adds 6 miles but eliminates 3 toll booths and hopefully fugging traffic.  Google maps lists the travel times for my normal route and the new route as almost identicle.  Plus this new route will get me away from all the fugging idiots on I-294.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

The Cruz handles pretty well. I've had several as rentals.

it is cold windy and wet. Yuck.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Well I looked at the Prius online and although it gets great gas mileage I just can't get past the looks of the car.  Plus the pricetag new is more than I want to deal with.

Actually looking online a lot at the Chevy Cruze.  24 city / 36 to 38 highway MPG depending on the engine.  It will get a bit better if I want to embrace a stick shift again.  NOT!  The only stick shift I ever want to drive again is a hella fast Mustang.

Gonna try a slightly different route home tonight.  It adds 6 miles but eliminates 3 toll booths and hopefully fugging traffic.  Google maps lists the travel times for my normal route and the new route as almost identicle.  Plus this new route will get me away from all the fugging idiots on I-294.

With the 24 city, I seriously doubt it will get to 36 highway though.  That's too much of a difference.  There are a lot of non-hybrid cars with more than 30mpg.  Do some research and see (I forgot which cars since I was researching two years ago).

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Its a small turbo charged engine so I believe the numbers.  Its only a 1.4 or 1.8 L 4 cyl so it should get every bit of that highway fuel economy.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Back from the hospital.  I am in pain but surgery went well.

Anesthesia gave me BP of above 200/100 and an asthma attack.  Waking up to 4 people working atop me trying to save me was not fun.  I hope I don't have to go under ever again.  Now I'm scared.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Yowza, D!  Sounds like you had an atypical reaction to one of the anesthesia meds. Glad you are home and on the mend!  I wouldn't worry too much about ever needing general anesthesia again. I bet your team has a fair idea of what you reacted to and has noted it in your records. You can ask your surgeon at your follow up.

Relentless forward progress