Beginners and Beyond

IMTPT (Read 1309 times)

Docket_Rocket

I hope so.  The problem is my BP didn't lower until 6am today to 126/76 and it shoot up again this morning to 156.  We'll monitor it here but I suspect it was the anesthesia.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

My BP never did get back to normal while I was in the hospital.  It may partly be white coat syndrome.  But glad your surgery is over and done, Docket!!

Venom, it's my dream to have a Tesla someday.  It'll probably have to remain a dream, but wouldn't it be fun?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

A Tesla would be effin sweet!  But I cannot make the 600/month payment that goes with it.

Kinda digging the Volt at the moment except for the electric engine range.  At least it has a generator on board to keep the electric engine supplied with power.  Range on electric is 35 miles so half way to work the genny would kick in.  Theortetically I would get infinite fuel economy for the first 35 miles and then 37 MPG on the genny.  So daily at a free 35 miles and then 100 miles @ 37 MPG.  That is a per trip average of 44 MPG then.  The Prius does better than that.

But man do I love the looks of the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee and I bet I could pick up a used low mileage program vehicle this summer.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I had chats in the Penguin thread re the Prius when I was looking ... I think Dan_The_CPA has a Volt?  Can't remember if that's the right person or not, but he agreed that for the distance I drive, the Volt isn't really the right car.

There are so many factors though -- initial purchase price, resale value, gas mileage, your best estimate of the price of gas, and whether or not you can stand to drive the car.  Not to mention the weather!  When the weather gets bad, I'm lucky enough that I can work from home.  Anyway, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, and you know what you're doing!

I heard a rumor that there will be an affordable Tesla in a few years.  Not that I know what they mean by "affordable" ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I live near Chicago so a rear wheel drive car is out of the question because of the winter.  I have had AWD or 4X4 for many years now and am spoiled by its ability to shit-n-git in the deepest of snow.  My Saturn is AWD but FWD primary and the rears kick in when the fronts slip to much.  Not as good as our Jeep but better than anything strictly FWD.

Fuel ecomony has become a HUGE factor for me as my commute is 65 miles each way.  Hence my thoughts of going with a Prius.  The Jeep Cherokee gets 31 MPG highway so that would be nice and it offers 4X4 traction.  But then I like the Cruze as well which gets upper 30s MPG.

FUG!!!!  Have to make up my mind sometime soon as the Saturn has 175,000 miles on it with no major repairs so far.  I have rolled the dice too many times with it right now and it struggles to get 23 - 24 MPG as long as I keep my foot out of the gas peddal and about 60 - 65 MPH on the highway.  I am getting ran over at those speeds to be honest, usuall speeds around here are 70 - 85 MPH on the highways.  I could match speeds as well but then my fuel economy tanks to 20ish.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Howdy.

Hope you can decide soon Doug.

Marjorie

Wandering Wally

Yowza, I'm busier than a one armed paper hanger right now.

Damaris - Glad you are home.

Doug - Remember to factor in the cost of replacing the battery at some point if you get an electric vehicle.  Pretty cool resources here to compare vehicles:  http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.shtml

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Singer who runs a smidge

We're on our third Prius, and we've never replaced a battery.  DH's has 147k miles on it, and he still gets about 46 mpg.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

From what I understand the Prius has a 10 year warranty on the battery.  I don't see me keeping the car long enough for it to be out of warranty since I will be logging 39,000 miles a year.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD (day 7?)  I hope I can do this!  Haha.

My BP is still high (I think it's from surgery) and hubby and I already had a discussion about it.  Meds vs. waiting.  I am not sure if I won but one thing is for sure, he won't treat me.  Haha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

D, you've never had issues with high BP before, have you?  If it were me (having no medical knowledge) I'd want to wait, because if it's just momentary and you throw drugs at it, that's going to cause other issues, especially when your BP naturally heads back towards normal!  But again, no medical knowledge here ...

Docket_Rocket

D, you've never had issues with high BP before, have you?  If it were me (having no medical knowledge) I'd want to wait, because if it's just momentary and you throw drugs at it, that's going to cause other issues, especially when your BP naturally heads back towards normal!  But again, no medical knowledge here ...

Exactly!  Tell that to the doctor husband, pffftttt.

I did have a spurt of high BP for 5 months one time.  The doctors ended up thinking it was one of my BCPs because within one week of taking me off it, the BP went back to normal.  And I am not sure if the anesthesia effects last this long.  After all, the anesthesia raised my BP to 200/105 right after the surgery so maybe it's that?  Hubby thinks I"m just trying to deny it, no, I just don't want to be saddled with meds when in a couple of weeks or a month they might not be needed.  And once you start, you cannot stop and it causes so many other issues.   I also want to talk to my asthma doctor, since the inhaler could cause high BP too. I just want to check all my options!  Is that too hard to understand??????

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

For a guy that loves you and wants to fix everything for you, yeah, that's probably too hard to understand! 

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Yo.

Relentless forward progress

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I try not to live life better through prescriptions.  I'd rather get something fixed than bandaide it with meds myself.

That is where my wife and I differ on our PCP.  He has her on all sorts of meds when I think a lot of it can get cured otherwise.