Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Running cures all (Read 44 times)

LRB

Well, not really.  But it's sure as hell nice to leave this place for an hour, and I am about to do just that.

C 'ya!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  All day in court, followed by Pilates.  If I can squeeze some miles in between, I will.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

8 sweaty miles done, dewpoint was already 72* at 5am, storms rolling in later.  I might double up if it's raining when I get home, love running in the rain!

Hope everyone has a great day! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Good morning, people.

Rick, thank you for starting today's thread. Have a pleasant run.

Damaris, have a good day in court. Enjoy Pilates and whatever else you do.

Dave, excellent eight. Have a wonderful double, if you do that.

I'm going to the weekly run club meetup tonight.

delicate flower

Good morning is what I say to you now!  Our little off-road triathlon team relay went well yesterday.  We thought we got the win, but ended up finishing second place...out of two.  HA!  First place in the mixed relay though!  Big grin  We were only a minute out of first place, and individually we were all happy with our performances.  I do think I could have done better on the run, as my legs were tired going into it.  My run time for the three mile course was 22:02.   Splits were 7:23, 7:46, 7:36 (7:35 avg).  Nobody told me that it is difficult to run 5K road pace in a trail race.  7:35 pace on the road is comfortably hard for me.  In yesterday's race, it was all out 100% max effort.  This is the Tuesday night race that DW usually does solo, and since she only did the bike yesterday without worrying about the run after, she hammered out her fastest bike time out of about 10 races.  Heh.

Easy run planned after work today.

Floater or it didn't happen.

<3

B-Plus

Good morning LRB, DR, D2, and Basya. Enjoy your runs or whatever you end up doing.

I'm heading out for 8.

Mmmmm...beer

Nice work Phil!  Trails will definitely keep your pace in check. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

StepbyStep-SH

Morning, all! Beautiful 65* this morning. 5.11 miles with the group, followed by 15 minutes of core/bodyweight work. Martial arts tonight.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning!

I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday playing on the monkey bars at the park with my DD. There was a kids festival going on and they had a singing group, hotdogs/pop/chips for sale, and people doing demos of Tae Kwan Do. The pulled muscle isn't too bad, just annoying.

I told Rick earlier this week that I needed more Intervals, so that's what I got today. 6x1k w/ 400m recoveries. Split times from Timex (4:26 target): 4:29, 4:26, 4:28, 4:29, 4:26, 4:28. Not too shabby! I ended up with 7 miles on the nose, but IDK how accurate that is. I was wearing two watches and used the Garmin for overall mileage.

Adios!

- Andrew

StepbyStep-SH

Morning!

I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday playing on the monkey bars at the park with my DD. There was a kids festival going on and they had a singing group, hotdogs/pop/chips for sale, and people doing demos of Tae Kwan Do. The pulled muscle isn't too bad, just annoying.

I told Rick earlier this week that I needed more Intervals, so that's what I got today. 6x1k w/ 400m recoveries. Split times from Timex (4:26 target): 4:29, 4:26, 4:28, 4:29, 4:26, 4:28. Not too shabby! I ended up with 7 miles on the nose, but IDK how accurate that is. I was wearing two watches and used the Garmin for overall mileage.

Adios!

Why two watches? You can use the splits on the Garmin and still get a total overall mileage at the end, as long as you aren't resetting it between each interval.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yesterday I kicked off my marathon training running 2.6 with Jumpstart (and Dorian), it was cloudy and in the mid 70's so it felt better than the last few afternoon runs have.

I have absolutely no idea when Dorian got into bed with me, but I woke up around 3:30 AM and there he was snuggled up against me but not really asleep. He really woke up at 4:30 and I soon realized my run was not going to get done this morning unless I took him with me, so I pushed that stroller for 8 miles with an average pace of 9:46 min/mile. Blah, I sure hope there isn't too many days like this 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I got up this morning at 5 a.m., went to the university I work for, and did a run/walk around the campus, using my hill route.   3.2 miles, 5 hills of varying sizes along the way.  I don't usually run two days in a row, but with my new work hours - 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 pm. - I have plenty more time now to do stuff in the morning and to cool down post-run.  I sweat so much it takes me FOREVER to cool down, so having the extra time is nice.  About a half-mile into my outing, thunder began booming and lightning began flashing, but no rain.    But because of the thick air, etc, it was VERY humid....the air was stickier than a frog's tongue on a cinnamon bun. I was QUITE drenched in sweat by the time I finished. And right when I  did finish, just as I got back to the gym door, THEN it opened up like crazy, rain coming down so hard you couldn't even see across the street.  So thank you, Mother Nature, for your good timing.  I'm at work now, and it's still pouring down.  Quite a light show outside too where I am.

LRB, and sometimes weight training cures stuff apparently.  I've been having some discomfort with my left knee.  Not enough to keep me from running and doing normal stuff, but I was feeling 'the difference' in there.  At my weight training session the other day, I was doing some leg presses and leg extensions and I felt something "click" in that knee.  WTH? Well, no pain or anything, so I continued on and did fine.  Next morning I did my run/walk and my knee felt like it was perfectly normal...no discomfort at all.  So I don't know what the heck I did, or what was going on in there, but apparently I somehow "popped" something back into place or whatever.  I honestly don't know what the hell happened, when it comes right down to it. Very weird, but I ain't complaining about it, whatever happened to fix it, I'll take it and be happy about it!   I do have my annual ortho appointment coming up next month for my knees, back, etc, , so will be curious to hear what the doc has to say after he sees my latest MRIs.

Maybe you can run on the Pilates machine, Damaris, and get two workouts in one.   Kick ass in court!

Congrats on your miles, D2.  Yeah, storms for us here too, we must be on the same weather pattern.   I don't mind running in rain either, it's that darn lightning that gets me concerned.  I got knocked down by lightning once on a run.  Scary stuff!  And not a fun way to learn a lesson.

Have fun at your weekly club meetup!  Of course, Basya, that will be AFTER you do umpteen pushups, situps, ab work, core work, planks, etc....right?  Well all know you can't do just ONE thing for the day when you workout... 

Congrats to you and DW, Baboon!   Nice photo, that looks like a very nice trail to run on.

Hope your 8 went well, B-Plus.

Congrats on your group miles, Step, nice you got some good weather.

Sorry about the back muscle, Andrew.  Don't push it too much, do what you need to do to get it better.  Otherwise, you might end up being a crooked-backed decrepit old man like me.

Way to get your miles in, FreeSoul, stroller and all.  Good luck with your training program!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Why two watches? You can use the splits on the Garmin and still get a total overall mileage at the end, as long as you aren't resetting it between each interval.

Yeah, you're right. I could have left the Timex at home. It's just a habit I guess to use that for a track workout. Next time I'll turn off the auto-lap and turn on the manual lap on the Garmin. Good catch. Smile

- Andrew

B-Plus

Yeah, you're right. I could have left the Timex at home. It's just a habit I guess to use that for a track workout. Next time I'll turn off the auto-lap and turn on the manual lap on the Garmin. Good catch. Smile

That's what I do. I also switch the display to lap time only so it's basically just a stopwatch and recording the overall mileage in the background.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

That's what I do. I also switch the display to lap time only so it's basically just a stopwatch and recording the overall mileage in the background.

Actually I may need to play around with my FR10. I might not be able to see lap time on it, only overall. That would be a reason to use my Timex.

- Andrew